The Student Room Group

Help with this problem

Brachycephalus frogs are tiny less than 1 cm long and have three toes on each foot and two fingers on each ‘hand’, whereas the common frog has five toes on each foot and four fingers on each ‘hand’. Some Brachycephalus and common frogs are in a bucket. Each frog has all its fingers and toes. Between them they have 122 toes and 92 fingers. How many frogs are in the bucket?
A 15 B 17 C 19 D 21 E 23

This seems (to me) like a pretty straightforward problem involving simultaneous equations. However when I try to work it out I get a negative value for one of the frog species. Could it just be a silly mistake somewhere or am I approaching this problem the wrong way.

Thanks.
Original post by grj91
Brachycephalus frogs are tiny less than 1 cm long and have three toes on each foot and two fingers on each ‘hand’, whereas the common frog has five toes on each foot and four fingers on each ‘hand’. Some Brachycephalus and common frogs are in a bucket. Each frog has all its fingers and toes. Between them they have 122 toes and 92 fingers. How many frogs are in the bucket?
A 15 B 17 C 19 D 21 E 23

This seems (to me) like a pretty straightforward problem involving simultaneous equations. However when I try to work it out I get a negative value for one of the frog species. Could it just be a silly mistake somewhere or am I approaching this problem the wrong way.

Thanks.

What were your simultaneous equations?
6x + 10y = 122
4x + 8y = 92
Yes, it was a silly. I got the answer: A 15.

Quick Reply

Latest