The Student Room Group

Consumer Law

Hello,

I have a presentation coming up on consumer protections under Consumer Protection Act (CPA) and General Product Safety Regulations(GPSR).

'On 23 November 2015, Indesit issued a safety alert for a potentially 'significant' number of its tumble dryers after a fault was discovered which could expose the dryers to a fire risk when excess fluff touched the heating element. The fire risk affects certain large vented and condensing tumble dryers, which were sold under the brand names Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda in the UK and abroad between April 2004 and October 2015. There are several million Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda appliances in UK households and it's expected a 'large number of them [are] affected.' Despite this warning and a general recall in 2016 there have been several fires, all of which the fire brigade attributes to faulty dryers.'

My part is to do with the civil and criminal liabilities of Indesit.

Please advise,
Ik3211

P.s
Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by ik3211
Hello,

I have a presentation coming up on consumer protections under Consumer Protection Act (CPA) and General Product Safety Regulations(GPSR).

'On 23 November 2015, Indesit issued a safety alert for a potentially 'significant' number of its tumble dryers after a fault was discovered which could expose the dryers to a fire risk when excess fluff touched the heating element. The fire risk affects certain large vented and condensing tumble dryers, which were sold under the brand names Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda in the UK and abroad between April 2004 and October 2015. There are several million Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda appliances in UK households and it's expected a 'large number of them [are] affected.' Despite this warning and a general recall in 2016 there have been several fires, all of which the fire brigade attributes to faulty dryers.'

My part is to do with the civil and criminal liabilities of Indesit.

Please advise,
Ik3211

P.s
Any help would be appreciated.

Read the sticky.
Are you a law student?
Have you done any work on this at all?
Presumably if your task is the potential civil and criminal liabilities, then you need to research those to find out what they are or are you expecting people to tell you?

First is to look at it from a consumer angle and see what the law says on buying a faulty product, which is very basic consumer law. What are the tests? Remedies?
Second is more regulatory and its the duties as a manufacturer.

If you use google there are tons of hits that will explain the above. You arent giving any indication what bit it is you are finding difficult?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Read the sticky.
Are you a law student?
Have you done any work on this at all?
Presumably if your task is the potential civil and criminal liabilities, then you need to research those to find out what they are or are you expecting people to tell you?

First is to look at it from a consumer angle and see what the law says on buying a faulty product, which is very basic consumer law. What are the tests? Remedies?
Second is more regulatory and its the duties as a manufacturer.

If you use google there are tons of hits that will explain the above. You arent giving any indication what bit it is you are finding difficult?

Hello Tigger,

I am a law student and sadly I have done minimal work on this as it is my first day working on it and wanted to ask for some guidance on how to start.

As the passage states, the fault was found 11 years after the product was brought into the market, hence the consumer would not have been aware of the error in the product.

Thank you for the reply,
Ik3211

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending