The Student Room Group

Taj Lifts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TajwarC
So between Feb and October 2016 there was a lingering chronic pain alongside a sharp pain that would be triggered whenever I picked any kind of weight off the floor. Basically it hurt a lot

It took a massive toll on my training and I still feel the effects now, i.e. I can't even touch my toes (even with my extremely long arms and after stretching). But for the most part the chronic pain is gone and I'm back to deadlifting and doing everything else with occasional discomfort after some sessions.

I have to do a lot stretching, foam rolling and myofascial release using a cricket ball to keep it at bay.

What's up with yours?

Go to a physio bro, it's worth the money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Angry cucumber
Go to a physio bro, it's worth the money

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did, twice! First time was a deep tissue massage kind of thing but focused more on mobilising the hips, second time was a bit different -

The key thing I wasn't doing was not holding the stretches long enough; 2-3 weeks after hearing that I was already pretty much back to normal haha. A really short/obvious and somewhat costly piece of advice but it was defo worth it imo
Reply 42
28/02/2017

Not the greatest of sessions if I'm being honest.

Front squat:
60kg 6x3
Need to work on my front rack position and/or front squat more I think. I'm already incorporating a second backsquat day so either way I should really start to see major increases in the coming weeks.

Snatch Balance:
Big problems with this today, was missing lifts at 40kg which should be lightwork as I hit 50kg fairly easily 2 weeks ago. It wasn't so much the weight that was the problem but more the fact I was losing the bar forward.

Made a few attempts at 45kg, had a real battle with one of them (was stuck in the bottom for literally 5-6 seconds before balancing and standing but man that was epic ngl). The guy who was waiting for the bar after me insisted that I should try a few extra attempts even though I said I was done. So shoutout to him lool

Lateral Raises:
Only giving these their own little paragraph cos I managed to do them with the 10kg plates (only 4 reps though) like Lu Xiaojun does haha.

Did some bicep curls and 6x5 BW dips too - these are starting to feel quite easy.
Reply 43
01/03/2017

It's a Wednesday so today was the session with the Weightlifting club.

Managed to snatch 35kg from the floor which is a pretty big step forward for me as it means I'm coming towards the end of the phase of learning how to snatch and moving onto making small technique improvements and basically just getting stronger on the pulls and OHS. This also means I will be able to do full snatches in the main university gym soon (they don't have full size 2.5/5kg plates there, only starting at 10kg meaning I need to be able to snatch at least that before I start doing it there). So that means I'll be able to snatch more than once a week.

Made another two attempts at 60kg clean and jerk and it was pretty much the same story as before. I think it's best to leave it until next week to give my shoulders some rest but I'm really close to making it, I haven't missed a clean at 60kg yet, only the jerks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
03/03/2017

Backsquat:

60kg x5
70kg x5
75kg x5
75kg x5
75kg x5
60kg x5 paused

Clean pulls:

60kg x5, 3 sets
70kg x5, 3 sets

Deadlift:

100kg x2
100kg x3
Reply 45
04/03/2017

Bench:

50kg x5
52kg x5
52.5kg x5 (strange plate math)
55kg x3
55kg x3
45kg x8

Push press:

30kg x5
40kg x5
42kg x3
45kg x1
50kg x1

will do more volume next session, was testing the waters today.

Front squat:

40kg x5
60kg x3
65kg x3
70kg x3
80kg x1 (PR)

Accessories: lower back extensions, preacher curl, incline chest press machine(!)

I have been ingesting many creatines this week
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
05/03/2017

This session was all over the place.

Backsquat:

60kg x3
70kg x3
80kg x3
80kg x3
90kg x1 (failed on 2nd)
80kg x3
80kg x1 (failed on 2nd)

My thinking behind the failures is that I've only just added the extra squat days into my program, I should begin to see the benefits of it soon, I hope. 80kg felt far lighter than it ever has before.

Clean and Jerk:

60kg 3 attempts, made all the cleans and missed all the jerks. I've been having issues with locking elbows out properly even at lower weights. My clean is feeling super strong but my split jerk simply sucks, it's causing a lot of pain in my shoulders.

Annoyed at my 7 missed attempts at 60kg (4 from last week) I decided to try squat jerking. And somehow I made 50kg and a really close attempt at 55kg (which is my max split jerk). And my elbows were perfectly locked out and no pain in my shoulders...

All in all it's been an okay week, made PRs in the snatch (35kg), front squat (80kg) and clean and squat jerk (50kg). Also managed to push press 50kg which was unexpected. Backsquat didn't see any PRs which is a bit annoying but I'm sure I'll make 90kg x2/3 next week,
(edited 2 years ago)
What programme are you meant to be doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't actually have a specific one. I've tried doing a basic 5x5 program with linear progression for the front and back squat around 4 months ago but I stalled really quickly

I just do a 5/3/1 kind of thing for the back and front squat aiming to add reps to each respective set each week.

But just this week I've added another front and backsquat day. So now I do one high volume 5x5 for backsquat at ~80% and 6x3 at my max clean for the front squat. On the low volume day I just work my way up in sets of 3 to my 1 rep max and attempt to make it for 1+ reps. Then then once I get it for 3 I'll attempt a new 1 rep max (which means the weight for my high volume will also increase) and repeat the process again - this worked for me in the past pretty nicely.

As my squats go up, my olympic lifts will naturally too because they are always a set percentage of my max squats (e.g. clean and jerk is always roughly 70% of my max front squat for me personally)
Reply 49
Original post by TajwarC
X

Check out Catalyst Athletics for some good beginner programmes
Reply 50

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Sae.HH
Check out Catalyst Athletics for some good beginner programmes

Out of interest what kind of programmes do you guys follow?
Original post by TajwarC

I write my own due to my injury history. I started on SS and did really well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by TajwarC

I was previously on SS and also did very well, especially with squats and deadlifts, although my rest times got ridiculous (close to 15 minutes), which is fine as elite lifters do rest that long but yeah it wasn't practical or purposeful as a novice. Due to lack of leg volume I think though my low bar squat was way stronger than my high bar which is what i'm now training.

Right now I'm onN-Suns accelerated 5/3/1 atm, although I'm gonna make some changes soon. Just waiting for dissertation deadline to pass. :redface: Gonna incorporate Olympic lifts in summer when I get coaching (really looking forward to summer because of this), but I have things like front squats, paused OHP and high bar squats in my current program.

You can check out my log here :smile: I'll be posted my edited program at some point when I've had time to incorporate old changes in frequency and stuff. (I would do Oly lifts now but I'm pretty awful at cleans technically, although it probably looks sufficient to some people)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4484214
Reply 53
Original post by Sae.HH
x

Ah nice. Seeing as you're already front squatting you should find transitioning into the clean fairly stress free because you'll more than likely have the mobility requirement. Its just down to practice as with everything, I'd say cleans are the safest thing to self coach so if you have some kind of idea what to do, practicing with the bar by yourself should be fine
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
07/03/2017

Bench:
40kg x5
50kg x5
55kg x5
60kg x2
60kg x2
50kg x7
45kg x10
40kg x10

Was training bench with a friend so had shorter rests, only now am I realising the volume was kinda mad... Haven't been consistent with the bench for a while so this was really needed. I wasn't even planning on benching but I did while I was waiting for the bar (more on this later)

Front squat:
50kg x3
60kg x3
70kg x3
80kg x1

Snatch Balance:
30kg x3
40kg x2
45kg x1 2 sets
50kg x1 (2 attempts, failed first made 2nd)

While I was waiting for a bar I had to explain why I have to use Olympic barbells that spin rather than any normal bar to these two guys. Needless to say they just gave me idiotic responses and tried to make me look stupid.

"if I can front squat with it, so can you"
"just loosen your grip on the clean"
(in response to me saying its easier to clean with a bar that spins) "nah why make it easier for yourself"

Oh, I'm sorry, Eleiko and Werksan might as well just liquidate now.

***cking idiots.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by TajwarC
Ah nice. Seeing as you're already front squatting you should find transitioning into the clean fairly stress free because you'll more than likely have the mobility requirement. Its just down to practice as with everything, I'd say cleans are the safest thing to self coach so if you have some kind of idea what to do, practicing with the bar by yourself should be fine

Yeah my clean form isn't terrible, I can do the triple extension quite well, it's just getting under the bar without putting any stress on my elbow which is hard. (I still have some arm pull) Your clean form is pretty sick.

Original post by TajwarC

"if I can front squat with it, so can you"
"just loosen your grip on the clean"
(in response to me saying its easier to clean with a bar that spins) "nah why make it easier for yourself"

Oh, I'm sorry, Eleiko and Werksan might as well just liquidate now.

***cking idiots.

LOOOOL @UchihaMadara

Don't worry brah I had a similar situation with deadlifts the other day.

Oh yeah I noticed you're Bengali :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Sae.HH
Yeah my clean form isn't terrible, I can do the triple extension quite well, it's just getting under the bar without putting any stress on my elbow which is hard. (I still have some arm pull) Your clean form is pretty sick.

Haha thanks. I have some arm pull in there too just before triple extension but that came in pretty naturally due to my extremely long arms, I don't really have a cue for it. From what I know a lot of coaches will advise against it unless it comes completely naturally

Also shoutout to Sylheti basha :biggrin:
Reply 57
Original post by TajwarC
Haha thanks. I have some arm pull in there too just before triple extension but that came in pretty naturally due to my extremely long arms, I don't really have a cue for it. From what I know a lot of coaches will advise against it unless it comes completely naturally

Also shoutout to Sylheti basha :biggrin:

Going back to your post, yeah it's annoying that if you don't huge pretty much nobody will give you credit. I have **** muscle building genetics too so until I can move some heavy ass weight I have to put up with retards. When I had 130 lowbar 3x5 at like 65kg bw at my old gym though guys would be like "those two guys don't look it but they're pretty strong!" :colone:

Hahahah yeah man knows, squad up :biggrin: Apply for Bengali dual citizenship in 10 years and rep at the Olympics yeah :p:
Original post by sae.hh
apply for bengali dual citizenship in 10 years and rep at the olympics yeah :p:

loooooool
Reply 59
Original post by Sae.HH

Apply for Bengali dual citizenship in 10 years and rep at the Olympics yeah :p:

Legit had this convo with my parents recently LOOOL

Quick Reply