The Student Room Group

S1 Edexcel Jan 2017 IAL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elaria
From which website do you get the model answers from?

Pshyics and maths tutor Facebook page.
Original post by Elaria
what was the answer for P(Y=X)

0.25?
does anybody have the paper?
The model answers have been released on Math and pshyics tutor page.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ZiqBksUHNYX1JhWnhCaUx3NW8/view
Reply 24
hi everyone! did anyone of you manage to get the OFFICIAL S1 mark scheme for this exam? i checked the bilal ahmed blog but this mark scheme seems to be missing:frown:
Original post by nyxing
hi everyone! did anyone of you manage to get the OFFICIAL S1 mark scheme for this exam? i checked the bilal ahmed blog but this mark scheme seems to be missing:frown:

Lol I got an A and didn't bother. But FYI it must be somewhere out there and if it isn't then it soon will be.
Original post by nyxing

The final version came out later than for the other modules. It probably wasn't available when he broke the copyright law and posted all of the others.
Reply 27
Hi Fasih178 thanks for your reply! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by tiny hobbit
The final version came out later than for the other modules. It probably wasn't available when he broke the copyright law and posted all of the others.

Hi, thanks for the information :smile: looks like I'll have to wait for it
Guys please help:

6. Students in Mr Brawn’s exercise class have to do press-ups and sit-ups. The number of press-ups x and the number of sit-ups y done by a random sample of 8 students are summarised below.

(a) Evaluate Sxx, Syy and Sxy.

(b) Calculate, to 3 decimal places, the product moment correlation coefficient between x and y.

(c) Give an interpretation of your coefficient.

(d) Calculate the mean and the standard deviation of the number of press-ups done by these students.

Mr Brawn assumes that the number of press-ups that can be done by any student can be modelled by a normal distribution with mean μ and standard deviation σ. Assuming that μ and σ take the same values as those calculated in part (d),

(e) find the value of a such that P(μ a < X < μ + a) = 0.95.

(f) Comment on Mr Brawn’s assumption of normality.
Original post by Crystal_M
Guys please help:

6. Students in Mr Brawn’s exercise class have to do press-ups and sit-ups. The number of press-ups x and the number of sit-ups y done by a random sample of 8 students are summarised below.

(a) Evaluate Sxx, Syy and Sxy.

(b) Calculate, to 3 decimal places, the product moment correlation coefficient between x and y.

(c) Give an interpretation of your coefficient.

(d) Calculate the mean and the standard deviation of the number of press-ups done by these students.

Mr Brawn assumes that the number of press-ups that can be done by any student can be modelled by a normal distribution with mean μ and standard deviation σ. Assuming that μ and σ take the same values as those calculated in part (d),

(e) find the value of a such that P(μ a < X < μ + a) = 0.95.

(f) Comment on Mr Brawn’s assumption of normality.

a ) Sxx = 10164 (272)^2/8= 916
Syy = 13464 (320)^2/8= 664
Sxy = 11222 (272*320)/8= 342
(b) r =(342)/(sq root (664*916))= 0.43852
(c) Slight / weak evidence,
students perform similarly in pressups and situp
d) Mean = 34 S.d = 10.7
e) P(Z> (34+a-34) / 10.7) = 0.05 a/10.7 = 1.96 a=20.972
f) Pressups are discrete and Normal distribution is used for continuous so not a very good assumption
Original post by khaduji99
a ) sxx = 10164 (272)^2/8= 916
syy = 13464 (320)^2/8= 664
sxy = 11222 (272*320)/8= 342
(b) r =(342)/(sq root (664*916))= 0.43852
(c) slight / weak evidence,
students perform similarly in pressups and situp
d) mean = 34 s.d = 10.7
e) p(z> (34+a-34) / 10.7) = 0.05 a/10.7 = 1.96 a=20.972
f) pressups are discrete and normal distribution is used for continuous so not a very good assumption

thank you so muchhh:smile::d
Reply 32
does anyone have the mark scheme for this paper??
Does anyone have a mock paper guys?
(edited 6 years ago)
for the may june
Reply 35
Original post by me122222999
Does anyone have a mock paper guys?

A mock paper?
How was the paper guys!

What was the value of P (Probability Question)

Quick Reply