The Student Room Group

legally can my school force me to stick to my A Level options

So I decided to drop psychology as an A Level and only continue it as an AS level subject however I want to change my option and I know that the OFFICIAL deadline has not passed yet but my school have set their own deadline which was march 1st. My school is honestly so horribly strict and give us no leeway so i know that if i ask to change my option they will straight up say no, but can i carry forward a legal argument? If not i'm just going to cry until they let me change it hahahaha

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _princessxox
So I decided to drop psychology as an A Level and only continue it as an AS level subject however I want to change my option and I know that the OFFICIAL deadline has not passed yet but my school have set their own deadline which was march 1st. My school is honestly so horribly strict and give us no leeway so i know that if i ask to change my option they will straight up say no, but can i carry forward a legal argument? If not i'm just going to cry until they let me change it hahahaha

i've noticed that in school if you go to the right teacher and have a conversation with them then burst into uncontrollable tears or just cry a lot they will give you whatever you want so you stop crying
Reply 2

They've already paid for the exam entry. They might allow you to drop it if you offer to pay

I dont believe they can force you to study what you dont wish to but they could withdraw or ask you to leave.
I dont believe they have to offer you A levels.

Get your parents involved and your teachers to approve. Write a nice letter asking them to allow you to change.
You could just not turn up to the exam
Original post by Hirsty97

One of my mates did this tbh

they would 100% expel me lmao
Original post by 999tigger
I dont believe they can force you to study what you dont wish to but they could withdraw or ask you to leave.
I dont believe they have to offer you A levels.

Get your parents involved and your teachers to approve. Write a nice letter asking them to allow you to change.

they can ask me to leave? does that mean i can change my options though?
they are paid to offer me A levels lmao
yeah my parents are ready to take this to as far as court LOL but it's not that big of a deal
Original post by Juno
They've already paid for the exam entry. They might allow you to drop it if you offer to pay

how much is it? i've heard it's around £200 in which case that's absolutely fine
Original post by filmaker
i've noticed that in school if you go to the right teacher and have a conversation with them then burst into uncontrollable tears or just cry a lot they will give you whatever you want so you stop crying

i've done this so many times its embarrassing :blush:
they can ask me to leave? does that mean i can change my options though?
they are paid to offer me A levels lmao
yeah my parents are ready to take this to as far as court LOL but it's not that big of a deal

If you arent happy with the school you can find a new one.
You can change your options if you fin a new school to offer them you and its ok with the exam board.
Schools tend to have no problem letting pupils go if they arent happy.
they would 100% expel me lmao

Well I don't know then I would say just sit it but then you wouldn't want a *****y grade as a blemish on your record. Can you not revise enough to substantiate a C?
what year are you in?
Well I don't know then I would say just sit it but then you wouldn't want a *****y grade as a blemish on your record. Can you not revise enough to substantiate a C?

It's not about the grades like I'm confident I'll get my target grade i'm working at a high A in psych at the moment but I want to continue it to A level not just drop it after AS

Well they can't legally force you but they don't have to do anything either, education is free remember is the school paying not you so it can be fustrating when someone just decides to change tracks last minute. They probably wouldn't care if you got dropped either. I'd be humble if I were you and kindly ask.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
If you arent happy with the school you can find a new one.
You can change your options if you fin a new school to offer them you and its ok with the exam board.
Schools tend to have no problem letting pupils go if they arent happy.

Honestly I don't like my school, the quality of teaching has decreased so much just in time for the new harder A Levels :smile:
but there's no way my parents would let me transfer now because they asked me to last year (they weren't happy with the teachers) and I said no because I didn't want to be away from all my friends :/ that was a stupid mistake
Original post by Popsiclez
Well they can't legally force you but they don't have to do anything either, education is free remember is the school paying not you so it can be fustrating when someone just decides to change tracks last minute.

yeah but my parents are prepared to pay whatever the price for me to fix my options, my school are just so stubborn and strict they will most likely still say no
Reply 17
how much is it? i've heard it's around £200 in which case that's absolutely fine

It depends on your exam board and how many modules you're entered for. But the AS is generally around £50, and the A Level about £90. They might then charge admin fees on top (because the exams officer has to be paid for the time they spend on this). So £200 should be adequate.
Original post by .( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
what year are you in?

Honestly I don't like my school, the quality of teaching has decreased so much just in time for the new harder A Levels :smile:
but there's no way my parents would let me transfer now because they asked me to last year (they weren't happy with the teachers) and I said no because I didn't want to be away from all my friends :/ that was a stupid mistake

A year out is not a disaster.

Quick Reply

Latest