The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Hopefuls 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hayley.m19
Your salary is your net salary based on how much you should earn each year. Private pension is a seperate system (normally comes from an external company) where you pay towards a pension that you'll get when you retire. It's not your personal savings so you don't need to worry about that. State pension is what you get from paying national insurance and tax - the government pays that. As far as I'm aware this also includes any work pension you get. Working tax credits won't apply to you as it's only those in Britain that get them. They're essentially extra money that lower income families get.

I'm not great at this stuff so I wouldn't take what I've said as 100% gospel but that's the basis I used when filing mine out. Hope that helps ☺️

Thank you so so much!!! That was very helpfull. "Pay-as-you-earn" salary is net, am I right? If my parents did not retire yet, and they obviously do not get any State pension because they work right now, I do not have to include what they will get if they retire, do I?

Again, I am so thankful for your help. :smile: !!!!! I can't express how, I was kind of in despair :biggrin: :blushing:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by simone0110
Thank you so so much!!! That was very helpfull. "Pay-as-you-earn" salary is net, am I right? If my parents did not retire yet, and they obviously do not get any State pension because they work right now, I do not have to include what they will get if they retire, do I?

Again, I am so thankful for your help. :smile: !!!!! I can't express how, I was kind of in despair :biggrin: :blushing:

Yeah, your salary is pay as you earn which is net. I don't think you need to include state pension as the financial profile is to detail income so pension won't affect this until they retire.

No problem, if you need anymore help just ask ☺️
Yeah, your salary is pay as you earn which is net. I don't think you need to include state pension as the financial profile is to detail income so pension won't affect this until they retire.

No problem, if you need anymore help just ask ☺️

The world would be a better place if everybody would be as helpfull as you. :borat:Again, thank you so much, that really helped me a lot! Have a nice evening :smile:
The world would be a better place if everybody would be as helpfull as you. :borat:Again, thank you so much, that really helped me a lot! Have a nice evening :smile:

Haha, no bother 😁 Enjoy your evening ☺️
when should I sort out accommodation? my brother got a lykle prison cell in york. Never me.
+ how much will it roughly cost for ensuite catered ( i cant cook and i wont cook )
Original post by Joeking1999
+ how much will it roughly cost for ensuite catered ( i cant cook and i wont cook )

Prices are on the St. Andrews accommodation page.
Original post by Alicevin
Did you have to do anything after having received this email? I'm starting to have doubts.

I didn't do anything, apart from read it. I still haven't heard back...
Self-catered ensuite but I'd settle for ensuite catered. You might be able to apply after June 30th but the website says that's the last day for guaranteed accommodation so it's safer to apply before then ☺️

Can I know your 5 choices for UK and your preference, rank wise?

All the best :smile:
Original post by Mikhail1710

it's honestly getting really irritating how you always ask everyone on this thread this.
Original post by Mikhail1710

I haven't got into St. Andrews yet but it's my first choice. I haven't ordered my 5 choices but they were:

1) St. Andrews for film and social anthropology
2) glasgow for digital media and sociology (unconditional)
3) Stirling for film and sociology (unconditional)
4) Glasgow school of art for interaction design (withdrew application)
5) Edinburgh for fine art (withdrew application)
I haven't got into St. Andrews yet but it's my first choice. I haven't ordered my 5 choices but they were:

1) St. Andrews for film and social anthropology
2) glasgow for digital media and sociology (unconditional)
3) Stirling for film and sociology (unconditional)
4) Glasgow school of art for interaction design (withdrew application)
5) Edinburgh for fine art (withdrew application)

Wow... Two unconditionals :smile:... All the best with St. Andrews
Original post by Capricancer
it's honestly getting really irritating how you always ask everyone on this thread this.

Sorry Sir.
Or my offer about a month back but only just got on TSR! Any other chemists?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone of you understand how one should complete the financial profile?

If so, would anyone be so kind to give me some instructions (I am a dependent student)? I am struggeling with the english expressions and I can't find good translations for them:frown:

Is Salary (PAYE) your annual income in net or in gross?
What does "private pensions" mean? And how is this different from state pension?
Is private pension just the money you saved, so do you have to tell how much money you own in general? I guess state pension is the money you get from the state after you retired. Do you have to say how much money you (your parents) will get when they retire or do you just have to included that, when youre parents already retired and get the money right now?
And what does "working tax credit" mean?

Would be extremly great if someone could help me with all this and explain what it means, I don't quite get our german system but the english one is VERY confusing:redface:

I would normally read SALARY as being gross pay ie before tax / NI and pension contributions.
Original post by LadyBunion
I would normally read SALARY as being gross pay ie before tax / NI and pension contributions.

Is the "pay-as-you-earn-concept" net or gross?
Is the "pay-as-you-earn-concept" net or gross?

Pay as you earn (PAYE) is to do with taxation, it is where the employer takes tax off before you get the money .. happens to all employees.

Self employed tend to pay in 2 chunks a year where they earn the money and then pay the tax later .
Original post by LadyBunion
Pay as you earn (PAYE) is to do with taxation, it is where the employer takes tax off before you get the money .. happens to all employees.

Self employed tend to pay in 2 chunks a year where they earn the money and then pay the tax later .

Thanks! This sounds more like net to me, at least net like I would consider it in Germany:s-smilie:
Hey, does anyone know exactly why St Andrews talk so long to reply? My fee status is Home/EU and I'd really love to get in but I'm starting to get a bit worried. I'm applying for Biology and have no idea if that's one of the more competitive subjects.

Sorry if this gets asked a lot! I just don't understand why St Andrews take several months longer than every other uni I applied to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending