The Student Room Group

What are the best A-level choices for law?

I am applying for sixth form and I'm wondering if my choice of subjects is suitable for pursuing law in the future.

I'm picking philosophy, politics and law, but I've been split recently on whether I should go for English literature instead of politics. I don't really know now to be honest.
Original post by matthew43
I am applying for sixth form and I'm wondering if my choice of subjects is suitable for pursuing law in the future.

I'm picking philosophy, politics and law, but I've been split recently on whether I should go for English literature instead of politics. I don't really know now to be honest.

I want to do law. I'm also applying to sixth forms. I've picked Philosophy, English literature, government and Politics and I chose biology. Even though biology has not a direct relation to law- I just chose it😂.

Maybe you should go for English literature, as you already picked Law. So I'm positive that some Politics context will be within the law course.

Hope that helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally think English Lit is better because it's a traditional, strong academic subject - otherwise you do have three 'modern' A levels. Whilst I don't think that would necessarily be a huge problem, I would personally swap politics for English. I think the answer actually is do whatever you think you'll do best in. I also think it's probably more important to get the best possible grades than fret unnecessarily about the subject choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
I personally think English Lit is better because it's a traditional, strong academic subject - otherwise you do have three 'modern' A levels. Whilst I don't think that would necessarily be a huge problem, I would personally swap politics for English. I think the answer actually is do whatever you think you'll do best in. I also think it's probably more important to get the best possible grades than fret unnecessarily about the subject choice.

Thank you for the useful advice. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Missdimples
I want to do law. I'm also applying to sixth forms. I've picked Philosophy, English literature, government and Politics and I chose biology. Even though biology has not a direct relation to law- I just chose it😂.

Maybe you should go for English literature, as you already picked Law. So I'm positive that some Politics context will be within the law course.

Hope that helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It helped, thank you. :smile:
It helped, thank you. :smile:

Your welcome! ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently universities despite Law a-level as it's completely different to what is taught at degree level so perhaps change that option (unless you reaaalllyyyy want to do it then go ahead)
Reply 7

I'd say philosophy, politics, history, english literature are good ones to choose from, especially since you don't need law a level to do it at degree. plus, the broader a levels keep your options open in case you change your mind about what you want to study at uni.
Original post by dalalaachoui
Apparently universities despite Law a-level as it's completely different to what is taught at degree level so perhaps change that option (unless you reaaalllyyyy want to do it then go ahead)

This isn't strictly true. Most universities are neutral on A level law and there are no universities, including Oxbridge, which actively discourage applicants from taking A level law. However, it is by no means necessary to take it.

If you enjoy it, and think you'd do well at it, then by all means take A level law. It won't hinder your chances so long as your other A level choices are strong.

Hi, have you considered history? A lot of the skills in history are transferable to a law degree, and many student who went to read law at uni said history was by far the most useful A- level. Its just a thought, but any of your choices seem solid enough.
Reply 10
This isn't strictly true. Most universities are neutral on A level law and there are no universities, including Oxbridge, which actively discourage applicants from taking A level law. However, it is by no means necessary to take it.

If you enjoy it, and think you'd do well at it, then by all means take A level law. It won't hinder your chances so long as your other A level choices are strong.

In all honesty, I'm now a little anxious on the matter. I've read a little about it and I don't think A-level law is by any means despised or detrimental, but if I can improve my subject choices in any way, I will do so.
In all honesty, I'm now a little anxious on the matter. I've read a little about it and I don't think A-level law is by any means despised or detrimental, but if I can improve my subject choices in any way, I will do so.

It's natural to want to choose the best subjects, and it's good that you're being serious about your choices. But I'd reiterate the importance of getting the best grades rather than fretting about the choice of subject (within reason - obviously if you chose Dance, Media Studies and P.E. you wouldn't be in the running for a place to study Law!). Getting A*/A*/A in Politics, Law and Philosophy is infinitely better than A/A/B in English, Latin and French, for instance.

Choose what you'll do well at and enjoy - one begets the other at A level.
Reply 12
Original post by matthew-thomas1
Hi, have you considered history? A lot of the skills in history are transferable to a law degree, and many student who went to read law at uni said history was by far the most useful A- level. Its just a thought, but any of your choices seem solid enough.

I haven't considered it actually, probably because of my terrible experience of history in years 7, 8 and 9. I am aware that one cannot compare key stage 3 with A-levels :biggrin: and I am also aware that it is a very good A-level if you want to do law. However when I looked at the syllabus it looked very uninteresting (to me) and that is a huge factor as that means I will most likely neglect it and not do very well in it.

Still thank you for your help :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
It's natural to want to choose the best subjects, and it's good that you're being serious about your choices. But I'd reiterate the importance of getting the best grades rather than fretting about the choice of subject (within reason - obviously if you chose Dance, Media Studies and P.E. you wouldn't be in the running for a place to study Law!). Getting A*/A*/A in Politics, Law and Philosophy is infinitely better than A/A/B in English, Latin and French, for instance.

Choose what you'll do well at and enjoy - one begets the other at A level.

That is a powerful piece of advice, thank you :smile:
I haven't considered it actually, probably because of my terrible experience of history in years 7, 8 and 9. I am aware that one cannot compare key stage 3 with A-levels :biggrin: and I am also aware that it is a very good A-level if you want to do law. However when I looked at the syllabus it looked very uninteresting (to me) and that is a huge factor as that means I will most likely neglect it and not do very well in it.

Still thank you for your help :smile:

Then definitely not pick it if the course is bad. Chances are you will do better if you enjoy a subject. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest