The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FallenPetal
Will add +1 to the chain of people strongly emphasizing that, if you can, you should try and leave the profession. I did and it was honestly the best choice I've ever made in my life.

Working in Pharmacy, I knew I was around 6 months away from having some kind of mental breakdown. I take a huge deal of personal pride in the standard of my work, yet I realized the middle management cabal which rules community pharmacy would make me work with my hands tied behind my back; not enough supporting staff, working unpaid overtime, and huge pressure to perform completely spurious MURs. Honestly, I am disgusted that the Pharmacy pay rates have fallen to the £11 - 13 mark - seriously, at that rate, you may as well just skip Uni and work as a shop assistant, eventually getting yourself promoted to manager (where, incidentally, you'll be paid around that rate and not have to deal with anywhere near the same level of horse **** or debt). Unless you really, truly and honestly have your heart set on Pharmacy as a career, it really isn't worth it IMHO.

Still, not going to lie, it's been a metric ton of hard work and stress to get out. Incidentally, I think that's the problem - I've met many Pharmacists who dislike the job, yet don't want to leave their cushy £30 - 40K a year job and take on the risk of retraining as something new. Instead, their approach is to turn up, not care, then go home, which is how we wind up in the situations described above where the law is being flagrantly broken out of nothing but pure laziness.

I mean, it's almost as if there is a massive incentive for maintaining job satisfaction in healthcare professionals, one might even say it means you attract the best candidates who deliver the highest standard of patient care. With the state of Pharmacy now, if I look at someone who is intelligent, ambitious and hardworking, I honestly wouldn't blame them if they skip out on it as a career. They deserve better.

I think we should all work together to keep this thread at the top of the list so all the 6th formers can see the £11 on offer to them after 5 yrs of hard degree work !!!
Original post by FallenPetal
Will add +1 to the chain of people strongly emphasizing that, if you can, you should try and leave the profession. I did and it was honestly the best choice I've ever made in my life.

Working in Pharmacy, I knew I was around 6 months away from having some kind of mental breakdown. I take a huge deal of personal pride in the standard of my work, yet I realized the middle management cabal which rules community pharmacy would make me work with my hands tied behind my back; not enough supporting staff, working unpaid overtime, and huge pressure to perform completely spurious MURs. Honestly, I am disgusted that the Pharmacy pay rates have fallen to the £11 - 13 mark - seriously, at that rate, you may as well just skip Uni and work as a shop assistant, eventually getting yourself promoted to manager (where, incidentally, you'll be paid around that rate and not have to deal with anywhere near the same level of horse **** or debt). Unless you really, truly and honestly have your heart set on Pharmacy as a career, it really isn't worth it IMHO.

Still, not going to lie, it's been a metric ton of hard work and stress to get out. Incidentally, I think that's the problem - I've met many Pharmacists who dislike the job, yet don't want to leave their cushy £30 - 40K a year job and take on the risk of retraining as something new. Instead, their approach is to turn up, not care, then go home, which is how we wind up in the situations described above where the law is being flagrantly broken out of nothing but pure laziness.

I mean, it's almost as if there is a massive incentive for maintaining job satisfaction in healthcare professionals, one might even say it means you attract the best candidates who deliver the highest standard of patient care. With the state of Pharmacy now, if I look at someone who is intelligent, ambitious and hardworking, I honestly wouldn't blame them if they skip out on it as a career. They deserve better.

out of curiosity, what are you doing now?

without revealing too much about myself, I am literally in the process of jumping ship from pharmacy (well community). the major stumbling blocks for me are a perceived lack of experience (be it how long Ive been qualified or lack of knowledge regarding different fields). I know what I want to do and have a bunch of contingencies (no comment on them) but I do not know if I am ready to proceed due to my lack of experience (and shite A level grades). at the same time however I feel like I am procrastinating (in fairness, I am living at home and both parents are constantly on my case to do their effing errands constantly- price to pay for not paying rent and bailing them out of their mortgage/overdrafts I guess).
Original post by quasa
out of curiosity, what are you doing now?

without revealing too much about myself, I am literally in the process of jumping ship from pharmacy (well community). the major stumbling blocks for me are a perceived lack of experience (be it how long Ive been qualified or lack of knowledge regarding different fields). I know what I want to do and have a bunch of contingencies (no comment on them) but I do not know if I am ready to proceed due to my lack of experience (and shite A level grades). at the same time however I feel like I am procrastinating (in fairness, I am living at home and both parents are constantly on my case to do their effing errands constantly- price to pay for not paying rent and bailing them out of their mortgage/overdrafts I guess).

I'm currently a PhD student. Compared to Pharmacy, I am being paid far less, but I find my day-to-day life much, much more rewarding. So, in that sense at least, I'm rich.

Trust me, beyond University applications, nobody gives the first flying **** about your A-level grades. Put simply, they are superceeded by things like your degree and other work experience, thus potential employers aren't going to be looking at them first. Case in point, if I asked my supervisor to list my A-level subjects and grades, they would not have the first clue - despite me plainly writing them in my application. What mattered was that I had a degree.

As to lack of experience, the honest truth is that the only way you're going to ammend that is to go out, hustle, and get that experience. I will be the first to stand up and say that quitting Pharmacy was hard work and highly stressful, but at the same time, that's kind of an unavoidable element of switching careers. Unless your dream job falls from the sky the second you hand in your resignation letter, it will require you to stick your neck out.

And that, I think, is the problem. Having to stick your neck out. I've met two kinds of Pharmacist who want to quit: Those that say and those that do.

The former only planned to do Pharmacy for a bit, just while they figured out their next steps. Then, once they became accustomed to having £33K a year, it becomes until "I've saved up some money"/"paid off my mortgage"/"gotten married"/"junior is in school". And that is exactly how you wind up waking up on your 40th birthday having been a Pharmacist all your life - fact is, there will always be some excuse as to why it doesn't make sense to quit the job you hate.

What sets apart the do-ers from the say-ers is that they put their money where their mouth is, take paycheck hits, work weekends, study in the evenings, etc. They are willing to take on the personal risk and stress to make it work, anyway they can. They aren't content to rest on their laurels; Pharmacy isn't enough for them.

That said, I appreciate that personal circumstances can make it difficult to leave - you may have financial obligations or whatever, nor do I actually think there is anything wrong with having a "work to live" attitude (where you do your 40 hrs a week and spend the rest of your time enjoying yourself). However, accept that change can only ever begin from you and, unless you start to take proactive steps to make your goals happen, you're circumstances are unlikely to improve.
So at the moment are there lots of newly qualifieds leaving the profession left right and centre?

I myself have left Pharmacy. Did my pre reg in hospital and let's not kid ourselves that hospital pharmacy is any better than community. Doctors don't care about the prescribing advice and ignore your recommendations because the consultant does whatever the hell they want. Nurses matrons and discharge coordinators hound you to get patients out of hospital by signing the ttos as fast as you can. It is all a box ticking exercise and no clinical input as clinical decisions are made by the medics. It is the most demoralising kick in the stomach after training so hard for so long.

Despite the poor working conditions it wasn't actually an easy decision to leave the profession entirely. It took a lot of guts and courage to break away but I hope the decision to leave was the right one!
Original post by elsa101
So at the moment are there lots of newly qualifieds leaving the profession left right and centre?

I myself have left Pharmacy. Did my pre reg in hospital and let's not kid ourselves that hospital pharmacy is any better than community. Doctors don't care about the prescribing advice and ignore your recommendations because the consultant does whatever the hell they want. Nurses matrons and discharge coordinators hound you to get patients out of hospital by signing the ttos as fast as you can. It is all a box ticking exercise and no clinical input as clinical decisions are made by the medics. It is the most demoralising kick in the stomach after training so hard for so long.

Despite the poor working conditions it wasn't actually an easy decision to leave the profession entirely. It took a lot of guts and courage to break away but I hope the decision to leave was the right one!

at least hospital prereg has networking and manual labourwise / organisationally it is nowhere near as chaotic as community. Be glad you didn't have to clean toilets, empty sanitation pad bins, do cleaning on a daily basis whilst dealing with an abuse prereg tutor who did their utmost to get you sacked from day 1 (before they themselves leaving 4 months into prereg)
Original post by elsa101

Sorry to pry but, if you dont mind me asking, what have you fine into. I myself am not in any regular work (adhoc locumming) and personally want to get out of most forms of pharmacy.
Original post by elsa101

I too, am plotting my escape !
How long did you work as a pharmacist post pre-reg?
Just been informed by letter to all locums from a chain, that if I fail to do 2 MURs a day, then £1 will be deducted from my hourly rate !!
Is this even legal ????? !

Talking to an older pharmacist from the same chain, he says that brings my hourly rate down to what he was earning in 2004 !!!!
Why would anyone want to put themselves through a quite hard 5 yrs of work for this madness?
And the only reason they can get away from it is because there are 3000 new lambs to slaughter every July now! They must be laughing in all the chain chemist board rooms across the country !!! especially the Shoe shop and the Bank and the unwellness chains, not forgetting the horse meat sellers !!

YOUNG 6th FORMERS, ARE YOU READING AND RESEARCHING ALL THIS ?? PLEASE TELL US YOUR VIEWS, ARE YOU GOING OUT ONTO THE HIGH STREET AND TALKING TO GUYS IN YOUR LOCAL BOOTS AND LLOYDS? BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE TWO THIRDS OF YOU WILL END UP.

ASK US ANYTHING! WE WILL BE TOTALLY HONEST WITH YOU. IGNORE THE UNIS, THEY ONLY WANT YOUR 9K A YR, AND WILL FILL YOUR HEAD WITH CANDY FLOSS ABOUT HOW YOU CAN ALL WORK IN GP SURGERIES, ETC.
ONE OLDER GUY I HAVE WORKED WITH , SAID THIS IS THE WORST HE HAS KNOWN COMMUNITY PHARMACY IN HIS 25 YRS IN THE BUSINESS AND BY 2020 HE WILL BE GONE!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa
Sorry to pry but, if you dont mind me asking, what have you fine into. I myself am not in any regular work (adhoc locumming) and personally want to get out of most forms of pharmacy.

Original post by crazy.chemist
I too, am plotting my escape !
How long did you work as a pharmacist post pre-reg?
Just been informed by letter to all locums from a chain, that if I fail to do 2 MURs a day, then £1 will be deducted from my hourly rate !!
Is this even legal ????? !

Talking to an older pharmacist from the same chain, he says that brings my hourly rate down to what he was earning in 2004 !!!!
Why would anyone want to put themselves through a quite hard 5 yrs of work for this madness?
And the only reason they can get away from it is because there are 3000 new lambs to slaughter every July now! They must be laughing in all the chain chemist board rooms across the country !!! especially the Shoe shop and the Bank and the unwellness chains, not forgetting the horse meat sellers !!

YOUNG 6th FORMERS, ARE YOU READING AND RESEARCHING ALL THIS ?? PLEASE TELL US YOUR VIEWS, ARE YOU GOING OUT ONTO THE HIGH STREET AND TALKING TO GUYS IN YOUR LOCAL BOOTS AND LLOYDS? BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE TWO THIRDS OF YOU WILL END UP.

ASK US ANYTHING! WE WILL BE TOTALLY HONEST WITH YOU. IGNORE THE UNIS, THEY ONLY WANT YOUR 9K A YR, AND WILL FILL YOUR HEAD WITH CANDY FLOSS ABOUT HOW YOU CAN ALL WORK IN GP SURGERIES, ETC.
ONE OLDER GUY I HAVE WORKED WITH , SAID THIS IS THE WORST HE HAS KNOWN COMMUNITY PHARMACY IN HIS 25 YRS IN THE BUSINESS AND BY 2020 HE WILL BE GONE!

Only just seen these messages now. Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

I did my pre reg in Hospital and worked for one year as a Pharmacist. Do the occasional locums in community now. I am a medical student now at a school that has a real mix between grads and 18 year olds. It's been quite hard to settle back into learning all the science that you learn during the mpharm and then forget for the presentation reg exam and there's always the constant threat of exams and in med school you will get kicked out if you fail a resit which is a scary prospect when you spend 9k a year in fees and 9k a year on living expenses and could fail at any point but it is what it is...

I know the working g conditions are bad for doctors at the moment but i was set on medicine because at least it used my mpharm background. If not this i would have moved into the finance industry. I would definitely have left Pharmacy though, it's a real shame to see the profession go to the dogs like this
Are all prospective and current pharmacy students signed up to CHEMIST and DRUGGIST website and following the High Court case live-feed against the cuts case ?
You should be

Your future is at stake !!!
No response!!! zombies walking towards career and financial ruin !! Led by out of date teachers and money-mad Unis!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!
No good crying in 5 yrs when you're unemployed !
Original post by crazy.chemist
No response!!! zombies walking towards career and financial ruin !! Led by out of date teachers and money-mad Unis!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!
No good crying in 5 yrs when you're unemployed !

I would like to rep that but it isnt something you should be laughing at as thousands of lives can potentially be screwed by it.
Help! My son is trying to decide between Biochemistry and Pharmacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Antonia Jane
Help! My son is trying to decide between Biochemistry and Pharmacy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please note - he does not want to work in a chemists!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quasa
I would like to rep that but it isnt something you should be laughing at as thousands of lives can potentially be screwed by it.

I'm not laughing dude, I'm deadly serious here, anyone I can get to do another course is classed as another life saved from corporate slavery and misery.
crap degree, should of picked a better degree
Original post by Antonia Jane
Please note - he does not want to work in a chemists!

Posted from TSR Mobile

66% of pharmacy grads will end up in a chain chemist like boots or tesco or Well or lloyds,
if he doesn't want to do that STOP NOW !!!!

Do biochem, do biomed science with a view to GEM (graduate entry medicine.)
just don;t do pharmacy, because statistically that is where he will end up !

read the threads on here

pharmacy will become automated and Amazonized. Ignore all the crap from the Unis about working for GPs, 3000 graduates a YEAR cannot all work for a GP !

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH !!! get down that High street and ask the local chemists would they recommend a job in pharmacy. If they say yes, they're lying !
Original post by the D.O.C
crap degree, should of picked a better degree

Should have*
Original post by sachinisgod
Should have*

aight no one cares
Original post by the D.O.C
aight no one cares

well just giving you a helpful tip. Jheez the written language skills of this country's population is diabolical. In addition they dont want to admit a mistake and rectify it. Figures..
Original post by sachinisgod
well just giving you a helpful tip. Jheez the written language skills of this country's population is diabolical. In addition they dont want to admit a mistake and rectify it. Figures..

end of the day you wasted your time rectifying text on screen to a randomer on the internet that doesnt give one crap, suggest you get a hobby or some ****

Latest

Trending

Trending