The Student Room Group

AQA A Level: Can I get an A if I fail the film essay?

I'm terrible at the film essay mainly because it's just English literature but in Spanish; I'm terrible at English literature and was by far my most stressful GCSE. I'm fairly good at Spanish but writing essays on the movie (like I did with poems in English Literature GCSE) is where I'm worried my grade will slip. If I do badly on the essay and well on the actual Spanish exams, will I be able to get an A at AS?
It all depends on how much it all counts towards your final grade and how well you do so do your best and that's all you can do!
Original post by alleycat393
It all depends on how much it all counts towards your final grade and how well you do so do your best and that's all you can do!

How much does it count towards their grade? A link to where this is detailed? :s-smilie:

This isn't really helpful at all to the OP in any way.

Original post by AxSirlotl
I'm terrible at the film essay mainly because it's just English literature but in Spanish; I'm terrible at English literature and was by far my most stressful GCSE. I'm fairly good at Spanish but writing essays on the movie (like I did with poems in English Literature GCSE) is where I'm worried my grade will slip. If I do badly on the essay and well on the actual Spanish exams, will I be able to get an A at AS?

Hmm so what I've collected from this is, your essay planning and structure is your downfall to writing your essays? I know from my understanding that coursework is worth less than exams in A Level, it's usually like 20% of your overall grade. What you need to look at is the percentage of your essays and coursework and the exam but also to see what last year's grade boundaries were for an A with the coursework combined too. Grade boundaries will have gone up from 2016 as it's the second year of the new spec but I would suggest looking online on AQA's website as well asking your teacher.

I do Media and have experience on writing essays on films if you wanted my help :smile:
Original post by Rhythmical
This isn't really helpful at all to the OP in any way.

Hmm so what I've collected from this is, your essay planning and structure is your downfall to writing your essays? I know from my understanding that coursework is worth less than exams in A Level, it's usually like 20% of your overall grade. What you need to look at is the percentage of your essays and coursework and the exam but also to see what last year's grade boundaries were for an A with the coursework combined too. Grade boundaries will have gone up from 2016 as it's the second year of the new spec but I would suggest looking online on AQA's website as well asking your teacher.

I do Media and have experience on writing essays on films if you wanted my help :smile:

It sounds like you can help the OP from your experience of writing essays on films and doing media :smile: Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that their planning and structure is the problem based on their OP (maybe you can mind read or know them from elsewhere :dontknow:) but the rest of what you've said is essentially what I did! Anyway, no point in arguing about this. Like I said glad your experience may be of help and good luck!
It sounds like you can help the OP from your experience of writing essays on films and doing media :smile: Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that their planning and structure is the problem based on their OP (maybe you can mind read or know them from elsewhere :dontknow:) but the rest of what you've said is essentially what I did! Anyway, no point in arguing about this. Like I said glad your experience may be of help and good luck!

I didn't say their structure and planning is what they require help in, there's a question mark there so the OP can state if that is the cause for their struggles or not, I merely suggested it as it is a common problem but yeah thanks for the response :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending