The Student Room Group

English Lit or Psychology A Level, EPQ

I'm going to do French and Spanish A-levels but am unsure whether to do English Lit or Psychology. I have always loved reading and English Lit in general but recently I've been struggling as I'm not too sure on the technique/structure I should use when writing essays. I wanted to do Psychology GCSE but it wasn't available, I've always been interested in Psychology as well. Which is a better combination , which do universities prefer, what is each A level like when compared? Also, I am interested in doing the EPQ, maybe focused around a specific topic in Latin American History, would this be wise?
Thanks
Reply 1
Universities usually prefer English Lit as it is seen as a 'facilitating subject' and can help keep your options open! However, if you're really keen on psychology I'd maybe try a taster lesson in it (if your sixth form offers that) and see if you like it or not, as you're wanting to choose subjects that a) you really enjoy and want to take to a further level of understanding but also b) will keep your options open.

I personally would take English Lit, due to the fact its a facilitating subject. As with the essay writing worry, practice makes perfect and I'm sure that if you asked, your teacher would be willing to put aside some time to help you with improving techniques, after all, it's in their best interests that you get the best grades you possibly can!

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
And as for the EPQ, I think it would be a good idea to take one as universities generally quite like them, especially if you relate it to the subject you want to do. At my sixth form it's compulsory for those who are taking 3 A Levels, so it's definitely manageable :smile:
Reply 3
Hey, I'm currently doing my A2s and i do both psychology and English lit (AQA) and I've nearly finished my EPQ! (Which is psychology centred) I'd say English may be better in conjunction with French and Spanish as they are all languages. However, I also used to have the same problem when it came to writing essays but the main thing is making sure you completely understand the assessment objectives and how they are weighted, if you know what you're being marked on (contextual points, comparisons to other texts, critical opinions/interpretations ect.) Then you will be better able to understand what you need to include in order to secure the most marks possible. Psychology is also very heavily essay based so I recommend you approach that similarly depending on factual info/applications/evaluation required. It depends on what you want you want to study at university really, but English is regarded as a facilitating subject so it is quite respected. Psychology may be seen as slightly 'weaker' but it'll show you're versatile and may count as a science for certain bsc courses.
I enjoy both subjects, English comes quite naturally to me so I don't feel as if I need to work as hard for it as I do for psychology, despite this psychology is what I enjoy more and aim to study in the future. English is quite time consuming in terms of learning quotes, reading core texts, doing background research, making in depth notes and doing wider reading so if you tend to procrastinate I wouldn't recommend it. Psychology is quite content heavy (but i do biology too so it seems like nothing in comparison😭) but it's very interesting imo, if you can memorise things easily you'll be fine. There is also quite a bit of crossover with biology, maths and statistics which some people don't realise, so if you're not a fan of maths like me, you may not enjoy those aspects. The most tedious part of psychology would be remembering the research methods and studies, but otherwise it is brilliant!

Yes I'd say doing an EPQ is wise! It's university style learning so it really prepares you for the future and it looks good on personal statements as some unis really value it! (I received two reduced offers) but I'd say only commit to it if you're very passionate about your chosen topic and have enough time to devote to it. I found it difficult to balance it with my English lit coursework, as the deadlines were around similar times, and keep in mind you may also have languages coursework. It is a lot of independent work though so I'd say only go for it if you're 100% committed. 40+ started an EPQ at my sixth form this September, and by March were due to present and only 20 people carried on.

If you'd like to know anything else specifically I'd be happy to go on aha. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply, and yeah I will definitely be asking my teacher to help with my technique a bit unfortunately she's not very helpful with bumping people up grades but I always have my revision guides! I'm still not 100% sure but I'll probably go with English lit unless I fail my GCSE or something
Reply 5
Thanks for the help, i just have a few extra questions
1) How long did you spend revising psychology per week , or what is the average?
2) How long did you spend revising English lit per week?
3) Is English lit A-level similar to the GCSE or do you do more reading, and discuss books and topics more?
4) could you summarise in a few words what each A-level is about/mainly focused on?
5)Do you have to do the EPQ on something to do with your a levels or can it be history like I'd like to do?

Thank you!
Original post by Rachyray
Hey, I'm currently doing my A2s and i do both psychology and English lit (AQA) and I've nearly finished my EPQ! (Which is psychology centred) I'd say English may be better in conjunction with French and Spanish as they are all languages. However, I also used to have the same problem when it came to writing essays but the main thing is making sure you completely understand the assessment objectives and how they are weighted, if you know what you're being marked on (contextual points, comparisons to other texts, critical opinions/interpretations ect.) Then you will be better able to understand what you need to include in order to secure the most marks possible. Psychology is also very heavily essay based so I recommend you approach that similarly depending on factual info/applications/evaluation required. It depends on what you want you want to study at university really, but English is regarded as a facilitating subject so it is quite respected. Psychology may be seen as slightly 'weaker' but it'll show you're versatile and may count as a science for certain bsc courses.
I enjoy both subjects, English comes quite naturally to me so I don't feel as if I need to work as hard for it as I do for psychology, despite this psychology is what I enjoy more and aim to study in the future. English is quite time consuming in terms of learning quotes, reading core texts, doing background research, making in depth notes and doing wider reading so if you tend to procrastinate I wouldn't recommend it. Psychology is quite content heavy (but i do biology too so it seems like nothing in comparison😭) but it's very interesting imo, if you can memorise things easily you'll be fine. There is also quite a bit of crossover with biology, maths and statistics which some people don't realise, so if you're not a fan of maths like me, you may not enjoy those aspects. The most tedious part of psychology would be remembering the research methods and studies, but otherwise it is brilliant!

Yes I'd say doing an EPQ is wise! It's university style learning so it really prepares you for the future and it looks good on personal statements as some unis really value it! (I received two reduced offers) but I'd say only commit to it if you're very passionate about your chosen topic and have enough time to devote to it. I found it difficult to balance it with my English lit coursework, as the deadlines were around similar times, and keep in mind you may also have languages coursework. It is a lot of independent work though so I'd say only go for it if you're 100% committed. 40+ started an EPQ at my sixth form this September, and by March were due to present and only 20 people carried on.

If you'd like to know anything else specifically I'd be happy to go on aha. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest