The Student Room Group

How to revise for Chemistry?

I have a gcse chemistry mock on 6th March but I'm not 100% sure on how to revise for it. I get that it's a mock but I still kinda want to do well. I've tried mindmaps but I don't seem to remember info from them so what are the ways to revise for chemistry? My exam board is AQA don't think it makes any difference though.

Oh yeah and btw is it a good idea to listen to music whilst revising? xD

(edited 7 years ago)
Past papers! They're the best way of revising in my opinion :smile: If it's just one paper, find out if it's C1, 2 or 3 and go over the past papers for the one you'll be sitting. If you listen to music, listen to something you've never heard before or instrumental, (otherwise you'll be subconsciously following the lyrics).

Good luck!
Original post by GraceTheTortoise
Past papers! They're the best way of revising in my opinion :smile: If it's just one paper, find out if it's C1, 2 or 3 and go over the past papers for the one you'll be sitting. If you listen to music, listen to something you've never heard before or instrumental, (otherwise you'll be subconsciously following the lyrics).

Good luck!

Okay thanks, I'll try the past papers! I'm doing C3 so I'll look for those specifically. And I'll look for new music as well :smile:
Original post by ihatemondays
Okay thanks, I'll try the past papers! I'm doing C3 so I'll look for those specifically. And I'll look for new music as well :smile:

Great plan, you'll do well :smile:
Yup! i totally agree ^ past papers have been my life saver! i get A* without needing to make notes rather i do past papers, do them for all sciences
I have a gcse chemistry mock on 6th March but I'm not 100% sure on how to revise for it. I get that it's a mock but I still kinda want to do well. I've tried mindmaps but I don't seem to remember info from them so what are the ways to revise for chemistry? My exam board is AQA don't think it makes any difference though.

Oh yeah and btw is it a good idea to listen to music whilst revising? xD

Listening to music while studying is NOT a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
What I do is write things down again and again until it's drilled in. I take my time, making my notes look nice and then I go and practise past paper questions on the topic I've learned.

Also, I wouldn't advise listening to music whilst revising, unless it's classical. It makes you concentrate on finishing, but you won't be taking anything in.
Original post by Misaki24
Yup! i totally agree ^ past papers have been my life saver! i get A* without needing to make notes rather i do past papers, do them for all sciences

Thanks, I tried it and it worked really well. Hopefully I'll do well xD
Original post by MaherPhd
Listening to music while studying is NOT a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It turns out that Classical music kinda does work for me but you're right for most music :smile:
Original post by Tombre
What I do is write things down again and again until it's drilled in. I take my time, making my notes look nice and then I go and practise past paper questions on the topic I've learned.

Also, I wouldn't advise listening to music whilst revising, unless it's classical. It makes you concentrate on finishing, but you won't be taking anything in.

That sounds like a good idea as well thanks. I'm going to try for the real exams in May/June as well as doing past papers. I've found that classical does actually work quite well :smile:
I make up revision cards for chemistry and physics. As I worked through the syllabus I made up cards for each section for such things as definitions, forumlas etc.etc.

I have two large piles for Chemistry and physics. I take sections of them out with me each day. When I get 5 or 10 minutes free to myself I go through them. And I keep doing that repeatedly when I can. Sounds dull but it really WORKS!

When I looked at one of the piles my heart used to sink. Don't look at them like that! Do them bit by bit and you'd be surprised how much it helps.

Oh... and music is 100% a no-no. For me anyway.

And past papers are a must do. It helps to highlight where you need to work. I just did a chemistry IGCSE paper last night and got none of the chemistry moles calculations right. So I know I need to work on that section.

People look at mock exams the wrong way. Forget the mark you get. Ask to see the paper afterwards and find where you are weak. And don't worry about it! You have best part of three months to work on the weak stuff.
(edited 7 years ago)
Definitely past papers. For any kind of learner, past papers help you apply the knowledge in context and give you more guidance in how to pick up marks rather than just regurgitate knowledge.

Until you get to the point where you're ready for past papers, try all sorts of techniques. I found writing out flashcards and notes from the AQA textbook most helpful, and GCSE Pod too!
Original post by Darwinion
I make up revision cards for chemistry and physics. As I worked through the syllabus I made up cards for each section for such things as definitions, forumlas etc.etc.

I have two large piles for Chemistry and physics. I take sections of them out with me each day. When I get 5 or 10 minutes free to myself I go through them. And I keep doing that repeatedly when I can. Sounds dull but it really WORKS!

When I looked at one of the piles my heart used to sink. Don't look at them like that! Do them bit by bit and you'd be surprised how much it helps.

Oh... and music is 100% a no-no. For me anyway.

And past papers are a must do. It helps to highlight where you need to work. I just did a chemistry IGCSE paper last night and got none of the chemistry moles calculations right. So I know I need to work on that section.

People look at mock exams the wrong way. Forget the mark you get. Ask to see the paper afterwards and find where you are weak. And don't worry about it! You have best part of three months to work on the weak stuff.

Okay thank you so much. I'm going to try the revision cards as well they sound really good. Do you do it so you write a question on the front and then answer on the back?

I think that I get the paper back sometime next week so I'll be sure to make notes on what I did well and what I need to work on.

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Obviously.Rachel
Definitely past papers. For any kind of learner, past papers help you apply the knowledge in context and give you more guidance in how to pick up marks rather than just regurgitate knowledge.

Until you get to the point where you're ready for past papers, try all sorts of techniques. I found writing out flashcards and notes from the AQA textbook most helpful, and GCSE Pod too!

Okay cool. I feel like as soon as I get the paper back I'll be sure to use flashcards and I'll try another past paper.

Okay thank you so much. I'm going to try the revision cards as well they sound really good. Do you do it so you write a question on the front and then answer on the back?

Yes that's exactly how I do it. I bought a load of blank cards from an ebay seller. Got around 200 cards for a few quid. Exactly same size as a credit card so easy to pocket.
Original post by Darwinion
Yes that's exactly how I do it. I bought a load of blank cards from an ebay seller. Got around 200 cards for a few quid. Exactly same size as a credit card so easy to pocket.

Okay thanks. I'll try this for other subjects as well- they seem really practical and useful.
Oh btw, I ended up getting an A on the test, just got it back today. Thanks to everyone for giving advice on revision techniques. Although I didn't use all of them this time, I'm going to mix and match these for other subjects so hopefully when the real thing comes in May/June, I can get the grades I need for college.

Quick Reply

Latest