The Student Room Group

One bad grade: oxbridge

Will 11 A*s and a C in Spanish at gcse rule out a chance at oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.......................…
You'd get away with not even declaring it
^^I'd disagree with not declaring it.

I really don't think it'd hinder your chances at all, 11A*s is exceptional.
Just don't put Spanish on your UCAS
Original post by georgetbarber

If Spanish is the only GCSE that is with a different exam board from the rest you could literally throw that certificate away and it'll be like you've never done Spanish GCSE!

Amazing grades and definitely won't hinder your chances. They'll most likely just see it as an anomaly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you seriously asking whether 11 A* at GCSE are enough to make a competitive application to Oxbridge...
Original post by DamnDaniel2
If Spanish is the only GCSE that is with a different exam board from the rest you could literally throw that certificate away and it'll be like you've never done Spanish GCSE!

Amazing grades and definitely won't hinder your chances. They'll most likely just see it as an anomaly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

All except that would be fraudulent, UCAS would discover the deliberate omission and the application would be cancelled.

Not so clever, huh?
Well it depends: are you applying for Spanish? What are you hoping to apply for? :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
All except that would be fraudulent, UCAS would discover the deliberate omission and the application would be cancelled.

Not so clever, huh?

But how will they find out? There would be no proof they did the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well it depends: are you applying for Spanish? What are you hoping to apply for? :smile:

Haha no, surprisingly the course I'm applying for is not Spanish-orientated :wink: hoping to study PPE. Reason I asked was because I was wondering if they had a process where they omit applicants who have any grades below a certain level
But how will they find out? There would be no proof they did the subject

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know that there are national databases of the examinations taken and grades achieved by each candidate? It's a pretty easy thing for UCAS to check whether the examinations declared are a full and complete picture or whether a candidate has attempted to conceal a poor result by omitting to declare it.

Not so clever, huh?

Oxford don't ask for GCSE certificates - not declaring it is the best option. They will look for any inconsistencies in GCSEs.
Haha no, surprisingly the course I'm applying for is not Spanish-orientated :wink: hoping to study PPE. Reason I asked was because I was wondering if they had a process where they omit applicants who have any grades below a certain level

Not at all. Providing you have good AS (or have they phased out AS now? I forget)/A2 grades, predicted grades, and do well at the TSA (Oxford-specific test for subjects like PPE), then there's no reason not to apply if you like the place and course content :smile:

GCSEs do not carry nearly as much weight as A levels, anyway. Regarding omitting applicants, it might be helpful to know that Oxford works on an entirely different system regarding Admissions than Cambridge, in that Oxford shortlists, i.e. it takes the strongest candidates in the cohort after considering all the relevant information and aims to interview these for places. Cambridge works on deselection where they aim to interview everyone who has a realistic chance of getting an offer.

As @The_Lonely_Goatherd says above, there is no reason you shouldn't make an application based on your current portfolio of GCSE and good A level predictions.
(edited 7 years ago)
You do know that there are national databases of the examinations taken and grades achieved by each candidate? It's a pretty easy thing for UCAS to check whether the examinations declared are a full and complete picture or whether a candidate has attempted to conceal a poor result by omitting to declare it.

I doubt UCAS will be checking every single person's grade but yh better to not risk it

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP your application is fine, don't be silly, and don't listen to silly people ITT saying you should submit a misleading application for the sake of concealing something that doesn't matter.

No.

However, do declare it, otherwise your application may be rejected for being fraudulent.
I doubt UCAS will be checking every single person's grade but yh better to not risk it

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't need to make a point of individually checking - the entire process is automated and UCAS receive confirmation of all exams taken, grades and individual unit marks where applicable. If this doesn't correspond to what the applicant has declared on the application, there will be enquiries made.
Original post by animaldanslalune
Oxford don't ask for GCSE certificates - not declaring it is the best option. They will look for any inconsistencies in GCSEs.

Would you say it's worth bringing attention to the grade on my personal statement so I can give an excuse? Especially considering I got As in the speaking/writing and low Ds in listening/reading. Could say I had food poisoning the day before or something
Would you say it's worth bringing attention to the grade on my personal statement so I can give an excuse? Especially considering I got As in the speaking/writing and low Ds in listening/reading. Could say I had food poisoning the day before or something

There's really no need - a C amongst the rest A*s is not going to be a cause for concern :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending