The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs. Warwick for Economics and French

I've applied to study Economics and French at university, however I cannot decide between Uni of Sheffield and Uni of Warwick. Warwick obviously has a great reputation, especially for the subjects I intend to study, however I really like the city of Sheffield. Does anyone do these courses/have any opinions on which to choose? (They have exactly the same grade requirements)
Thanks!
A lot of people on this site will no doubt tell you to apply for Warwick. Although it does have a great reputation, unless you're absolutely certain you want to go into investment banking (which not every high achiever does), I wouldn't say its reputation is miles better than about 20 or so other UK universities (including Sheffield) for most jobs.

In the scheme of things Warwick is a relatively new university (compared to Sheffield which is an older, more traditional Redbrick institution over a century old), it wasn't considered anything special before league tables came about in the 90s (which themselves are very misleading considering York/Bath used to be top 5 and Lancaster/Loughborough/Surrey are now top 10), the campus is no oil painting and it's not in a great location. I'd take everything you read here with a pinch of salt, because this place is notorious for adorning the perception of Warwick and you're likely to get some pretty skewed advice (not just saying this to the OP but to other people who are new to TSR, who might find all this Warwick-aggrandising a bit confusing).

BUT if you're studying economics then yeah, it's one of the best places in the country for that specific subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
A lot of people on this site will no doubt tell you to apply for Warwick. Although it does have a great reputation, unless you're absolutely certain you want to go into investment banking (which not every high achiever does), I wouldn't say its reputation is miles better than about 20 or so other UK universities (including Sheffield) for most jobs.

In the scheme of things Warwick is a relatively new university (compared to Sheffield which is an older, more traditional Redbrick institution over a century old), it wasn't considered anything special before league tables came about in the 90s (which themselves are very misleading considering York/Bath used to be top 5 and Lancaster/Loughborough/Surrey are now top 10), the campus is no oil painting and it's not in a great location. I'd take everything you read here with a pinch of salt, because this place is notorious for adorning the perception of Warwick and you're likely to get some pretty skewed advice (not just saying this to the OP but to other people who are new to TSR, who might find all this Warwick-aggrandising a bit confusing).

BUT if you're studying economics then yeah, it's one of the best places in the country for that specific subject.

thanks for the help, you've swayed me to Sheffield! I think even though warwick has the better course, Sheffield is better for me and what I'd like to achieve at uni:smile:
Original post by emmbunny98
thanks for the help, you've swayed me to Sheffield! I think even though warwick has the better course, Sheffield is better for me and what I'd like to achieve at uni:smile:

Warwick is a very good university (especially for Maths/Economics, in which case I'd definitely consider it). But TSR has a thing for Warwick. Every time anyone posts a thread saying 'X university or Warwick', everyone is going to jump up and say 'you should apply for Warwick!' Yes, Warwick is great, but so are quite a handful of UK universities. TSR (mostly a bunch of teenagers who haven't been to university) sees everything through the prism of Times newspaper rankings. In reality, it doesn't reflect how most employers think.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending