The Student Room Group

doing a level physics

I am doing gcse at the moment and i am predicted A* , how big is the jump would i be able to cope, is it hard and why?

Scroll to see replies

Im at AS and if you're working at an A* you should find Physics AS very easy. Most of it is just calculations which you will be confident in. Can't speak for A2
Reply 2
Physics is enjoyable to an extent; I like calculations but there are wordy questions which are annoying af 😩😩
Reply 3
Original post by CompSci in2k17
Im at AS and if you're working at an A* you should find Physics AS very easy. Most of it is just calculations which you will be confident in. Can't speak for A2

Thank you, do you do maths a level aswell? and As for the calculations are they straight forward or hard?
Reply 4
Original post by MKaur18
Physics is enjoyable to an extent; I like calculations but there are wordy questions which are annoying af 😩😩

In exams do you get a formula sheet like GCSE or do you have to learn them off by heart
Original post by Misaki24
In exams do you get a formula sheet like GCSE or do you have to learn them off by heart

You get almost all formulas In a formula booklet like at GCSE. Physics A level isn't too hard, I got A* at GCSE and it isn't that big of a jump, neither is A2.
I got a B in GCSE physics, and am now finishing A2 physics and am working at a grade A. I don't do A-level maths either, and I didn't struggle with the maths at AS or A2 in physics, so it really isn't to hard. Just have to put the work in :smile: Good luck!
Thank you, do you do maths a level aswell? and As for the calculations are they straight forward or hard?

The Physics calculations are straight forward for the most part, most of the issue is knowing which formula to use or when to combine 2 formulas. If you take mechanics as your applied mathematics module, you will have a nice crossover and should find most of the motions calculations easy.

I take Maths and Further Maths. As for the modules singularly, they're all quite easy it's just when you take so many they get a little tough to remember what to do in what case but if you're just taking maths, it should be fairly straightforward seeing as you'll only be doing C1,2,3,4 and M1,2. Most of C1 is fairly basic and it tells you what it wants you to do and they don't really try to catch you out. C2 can be difficult but isn't too hard by any means, just requires practice. Once it finally clicks, Mechanics shouldn't be too hard but if you're like me, you'll find you know how to do it but certain questions will trip you up and small things can spectacularly mess you up. M1 exam is known to be quite generous when it comes to handing away free marks (as long as you know how the papers work) but is fairly straightforwards since *most* questions follow the same basic format.
Reply 8
Original post by jimbo7230
I got a B in GCSE physics, and am now finishing A2 physics and am working at a grade A. I don't do A-level maths either, and I didn't struggle with the maths at AS or A2 in physics, so it really isn't to hard. Just have to put the work in :smile: Good luck!

Thank you! May i ask what your exam board is?
Reply 9
The Physics calculations are straight forward for the most part, most of the issue is knowing which formula to use or when to combine 2 formulas. If you take mechanics as your applied mathematics module, you will have a nice crossover and should find most of the motions calculations easy.

I take Maths and Further Maths. As for the modules singularly, they're all quite easy it's just when you take so many they get a little tough to remember what to do in what case but if you're just taking maths, it should be fairly straightforward seeing as you'll only be doing C1,2,3,4 and M1,2. Most of C1 is fairly basic and it tells you what it wants you to do and they don't really try to catch you out. C2 can be difficult but isn't too hard by any means, just requires practice. Once it finally clicks, Mechanics shouldn't be too hard but if you're like me, you'll find you know how to do it but certain questions will trip you up and small things can spectacularly mess you up. M1 exam is known to be quite generous when it comes to handing away free marks (as long as you know how the papers work) but is fairly straightforwards since *most* questions follow the same basic format.

Thank you this is a really helpful insight! Are you doing the new spec? Or is it starting for our year?
Thank you! May i ask what your exam board is?

OCR, and I'm doing the new spec!
Reply 11

And also what is a level maths like? I am currently predicted 4 (i know it is really bad but i do bad in exams) but aiming to 6, is it like gcse or more theoretical because gcse is more real life problem solving which is my weakness but i am really good at theoretical (hence why i am predicted A* in physics)
Reply 12
OCR, and I'm doing the new spec!

Oh wow, the hardest exam board, im also doing ocr at GCSE. Are you doing the other sciences aswell?
Oh wow, the hardest exam board, im also doing ocr at GCSE. Are you doing the other sciences aswell?

Is it? I didn't know that!
And yeah, I'm doing
Chemistry-OCR
Physics-OCR
Biology-edexcel
What else are you planning to take at a level?
Reply 14
Is it? I didn't know that!
And yeah, I'm doing
Chemistry-OCR
Physics-OCR
Biology-edexcel
What else are you planning to take at a level?

Yupp thats what everyone including teachers say
and i am going to take bio chem phys and maths
how is chemistry and bio coming along?

Infact you get given more formulas than you did at gcses (well for me anyway) 🙈🙈

I did ocr at gcse and they teach more stuff than the other exam boards which is why it's so hard etc. But it defo helps for a level xx
Reply 17
Original post by MKaur18
I did ocr at gcse and they teach more stuff than the other exam boards which is why it's so hard etc. But it defo helps for a level xx

Thank you so much, then i think i prefer to continue at a sixth form with ocr

You get a booklet with most equations in it so those are straight forward with rearranging etc. You need to understand them with what they represent in long written questions. The equations that aren't in it tend to be the less used ones but some are the most complex. In my A2 exam we had a question where we had to find the distance of a quasar from the sun just from the the quasars power intensity, a comparison of power output between the sun and the quasar and you also had to find the power output of the sun to find the quasars. You had to know the intensity equation in terms of spheres for this which isn't a nice looking equation, this question would've lost you so many marks if you didn't revise the topic much because the equation isn't in the booklet.

AQA is harder at A level..
Reply 19
Original post by Vikingninja
You get a booklet with most equations in it so those are straight forward with rearranging etc. You need to understand them with what they represent in long written questions. The equations that aren't in it tend to be the less used ones but some are the most complex. In my A2 exam we had a question where we had to find the distance of a quasar from the sun just from the the quasars power intensity, a comparison of power output between the sun and the quasar and you also had to find the power output of the sun to find the quasars. You had to know the intensity equation in terms of spheres for this which isn't a nice looking equation, this question would've lost you so many marks if you didn't revise the topic much because the equation isn't in the booklet.

AQA is harder at A level..

Okay thank you, why would you say AQA is harder?

Quick Reply

Latest