The Student Room Group

English Language Help??

So I got my mock results recently, and I practised quite a bit of questions for English language to improve my exam technique and was feeling fairly confident about the exam. I also watched youtube videos like Mr Bruff etc However, I only got a grade 5, 4 marks off a 6. Please could anyone tell me how to to improve and get better next time? :/
Reply 1
Please could anyone give me any useful advice?
Original post by sara_s01
Please could anyone give me any useful advice?

Are there any specific questions you need to improve on?
Reply 3
Original post by Sunshine1512
Are there any specific questions you need to improve on?

We did the AQA english language specimen for 9-1 gcse and I got:
Q1) 3/4
Q2) 5/8
Q3) 9/12
Q4) 10/16
on the reading section so I'm guessing i need to improve on all of them but I don't really know how, after doing so bad on that paper :frown:
Q1) 3/4
Q2) 5/8
Q3) 9/12
Q4) 10/16
on the reading section so I'm guessing i need to improve on all of them but I don't really know how, after doing so bad on that paper :frown:

Have you watched Mr Salles on youtube?
How about look at the mark scheme and identify the differences between your mock and the example answers they include so you can see the format your answer should be in?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-87002-SMS.PDF
Reply 5
Original post by Daydreamer3
Have you watched Mr Salles on youtube?
How about look at the mark scheme and identify the differences between your mock and the example answers they include so you can see the format your answer should be in?
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-87002-SMS.PDF

Yes, I watched Mr Salles before my English mock. Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. Are you doing your GCSE's or have you done them already?
Yes, I watched Mr Salles before my English mock. Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. Are you doing your GCSE's or have you done them already?

Im still doing them and English is my weakest subject unfortunately.
Reply 7
Original post by Daydreamer3
Im still doing them and English is my weakest subject unfortunately.

Oh right good luck for them! English is my stronger subject than maths, but i don't know what happened this time :s-smilie:
Q1) 3/4
Q2) 5/8
Q3) 9/12
Q4) 10/16

That's not even bad are you stupid
Reply 9
Original post by matthewparker34
That's not even bad are you stupid

Its bad, considering its only a C grade equivalent when I know I have potential to do better. If you have any useful advice, that would help.
Its bad, considering its only a C grade equivalent when I know I have potential to do better. If you have any useful advice, that would help.

Schools are 'guessing' the grade boundaries right now!
27/40 = Grade 6 in reality
31/40 grade 6 no way will that happen thats complete bs
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by AsianG99
Schools are 'guessing' the grade boundaries right now!
27/40 = Grade 6 in reality
31/40 grade 6 no way will that happen thats complete bs

I hope so! Thank you for the reassurance :redface: Its just because of the grade boundaries for English that have been set so far, its feels impossible to reach the higher grades.
(edited 7 years ago)

No way is that a C. No way will the grade boundries be that high, so many people are struggling. If you wanna get higher marks the only way is practice. But don't sweat about it, your marks are good
Reply 13
Original post by matthewparker34
No way is that a C. No way will the grade boundries be that high, so many people are struggling. If you wanna get higher marks the only way is practice. But don't sweat about it, your marks are good

Its a C for now anyway at my school. But yes, i'm thinking of practising more, so that I can get higher marks next time hopefully :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest