The Student Room Group

Student Finance Changes - Does it affect me?

so i started university in 2016 i'm currently not enjoying where i am so have decided to change uni's. i didn't want to drop out midway as i heard this would affect your student finance (is this right?) thing is i will be going into first year again so i was wondering if the student finance changes would affect me also if it does affect me can i apply for a transfer through from my current uni to my new one?

i know it all sounds stupid but i'm very stressed about this and its putting me off applying for student finance at the moment.

thanks .x
Reply 1
hey
i'm still in sixth form, but I've heard dropping out midway through a course messes us student finances. I'm not entirely sure, if I were you, I would check the websites you are using to apply for clarification or seek advice from any nice teachers/lecturers.
Reply 2
Original post by cathzeta10
so i started university in 2016 i'm currently not enjoying where i am so have decided to change uni's. i didn't want to drop out midway as i heard this would affect your student finance (is this right?) thing is i will be going into first year again so i was wondering if the student finance changes would affect me also if it does affect me can i apply for a transfer through from my current uni to my new one?

i know it all sounds stupid but i'm very stressed about this and its putting me off applying for student finance at the moment.

thanks .x

Everyone gets funding which can be summarised as 'length of course + 1' years of entitlement. If you leave your current course at the end of your first year, you will have enough Student Finance entitlement to start a new degree from scratch. Don't delay applying - you'll be fine for a new course at a new uni.

One tip is that you shouldn't accept a CertHE from your current uni (a qualification which many unis award for completing the first year then leaving). Student Finance has a rule that you cannot be funded for a qualification which is equivalent to, or lower than, one which you already have (the ELQ rule). If you accept a CertHE, you may not be funded for the first year of your new degree. You can phone Student Finance and check this.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Shadow~
hey
i'm still in sixth form, but I've heard dropping out midway through a course messes us student finances. I'm not entirely sure, if I were you, I would check the websites you are using to apply for clarification or seek advice from any nice teachers/lecturers.

If you leave half way through your degree - usually the second year - then yes, you will not have enough Student Finance to fully fund a new degree. However the OP is leaving after the first year and not starting their second year, so this wouldn't apply to them.
Original post by Klix88
Everyone gets funding which can be summarised as 'length of course + 1' years of entitlement. If you leave your current course at the end of your first year, you will have enough Student Finance entitlement to start a new degree from scratch. Don't delay applying - you'll be fine for a new course at a new uni.

One tip is that you shouldn't accept a CertHE from your current uni (a qualification which many unis award for completing the first year then leaving). Student Finance has a rule that you cannot be funded for a qualification which is equivalent to, or lower than, one which you already have (the ELQ rule). If you accept a CertHE, you may not be funded for the first year of your new degree. You can phone Student Finance and check this.

Good luck!

omg thank you so much
yh i heard about the certificate thing but i'll double check.
also ppl applying for student fiance for 2017 are going to have interest added will this affect me?
also is there any point transferring if i'm going from yr 1 to yr1? i heard that if i'm able to do this i wont be affected by the changes
one last thing (sorry for all the questions just so stressed ugh) my little sister will be starting uni either when i'm in second or third year (depending on if she takes a year out) do you know if this will affect both our student finances like decrease or increase them?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shadow~
hey

thanks for the reply yeah ive just seen on the SF website that it lowers your student finance when you drop out and then decide to go to uni again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending