Taj Lifts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TajwarC
Legit had this convo with my parents recently LOOOL

prsom
Reply 61
09/03/2017

A combination of waking up super early and playing basketball for an hour before the session meant I felt really tired. But the weight was moving.

Front Squat:
50kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
62kg x3
62kg x3
65kg x3
65kg x3

Clean Pull:
60kg x3
60kg x3
70kg x3
70kg x3
75kg x3 (PR)
80kg x3 (PR)

FS and Clean pull are now in the correct ratio (i.e. the same) to my max clean. This is why my clean looks pretty smooth.

Snatch Pull:

Kinda lost count of the sets, I just went up to 45kg and kept going until I was happy that I had made somewhat of an improvement to my technique...
Reply 62
10/03/2017

Back Squat:
60kg x5
70kg x5
75kg x5
75kg x2 (bizarre failure on 3rd rep, divebomed a little and got stuck lol)
75kg x5
75kg x5
75kg x5
65kg x5 paused

Worked up to 3 singles at 50kg clean and split jerk.
Reply 63
12/03/2017

Had no access to bumpers or spinning bars as I'm home for the weekend (gym at home only has normal stuff, WL equipment is only out at certain times) so I did squat/bench/deadlift. I'm also sleep deprived and beginning to get ill, possibly due to too much training although I can't be certain as I haven't slept much in the past week as I've been busy (not because of the insomnia some people get due to overtaining). Despite this I PR'd in pretty much everything today.

Back Squat:
60kg x3
60kg x3
70kg x3
80kg x3
90kg x1
92.5kg x1 (All time PR)

Deadlift:
60kg x3
60kg x3
80kg x3
100kg x4 (should have really gone for 5 but my thumbs were killing me, all time PR is 10 with mixed grip)
110kg x3 (current PR, took a slightly longer pause between reps to stop my thumbs from tearing lol)
120kg x1 (current PR, all time is 130kg with mixed grip)

Bench:
50kg x5
55kg x5
60kg x3 (current PR, all time is 5)
45kg x8 close grip
45kg x8 close grip

Tricep pushdowns and lat pulldowns as accessories

Last time I deadlifted 120kg I injured myself (for the second time within 2 weeks) which lasted for almost exactly a year... This time however my hip and lower back didn't have much to say on the matter. I feel a little sore now but nothing a bit of foam rolling won't get rid of

[video="youtube;448SClR3aGc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=448SClR3aGc[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by TajwarC
X

Lack of sleep and calories is always a bigger player in a weaker immune system than training hard with high frequency.
reading through seems like there is quite a few failed reps here and there (not talking oly movements), a structured programme will have a good chance of eradicating this almost, I don't believe in failing reps except due to a few exceptional cases in training other than in competition

P.S. Form looks good :smile:
Reply 66
14/03/2017

Went pretty much to plan, expected to make the final two sets of the front squat which means progression is still working. Really need to hit 60kg clean and jerk within the next week or so.

Front squat:
50kg x3
60kg x3
65kg x3
70kg x5 (PR)
80kg x2 (PR)

Accessories: BW dips, lateral raises, bicep curls and lower back extensions. Did some clean/squat jerks to assess my mobility; verdict is that I need to stretch some more this week compared to last week and the week before.
Reply 67
15/03/2017

Really good session. Felt tight af though.

Managed to snatch 42.5kg which is a +7.5kg PR. Changed up my grip width a bit so it's now a bit narrrower. Made it (and the previous 40kg PR attempt) on the first try which was great.

Also finally hit the 60kg clean and jerk on two attempts too. The cleans looked a bit off but I made the jerks this time.

I've exceeded my short term snatch goal which was to hit 40kg by the end of this academic year so now I'm aiming for 50kg by ~end of May.

I also got a new phone (Google Pixel XL) because my G4 bricked itself. Ngl I'm a bit disappointed with the camera (the LG is far superior imo) but at least it does 1080p in 60 and 120fps. The 4k is decent though, used it to film the 120kg deadlift from 2 sessions ago.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 68
18/03/2017

Had to skip some sessions this week due to my timetable being a bit intense so I missed out on my volume backsquat day. My body is actually falling apart lol.

Back Squat:
60kg x3
70kg x3
80kg x3
85kg x5 (PR)
90kg x1

I'm seemingly stalled here, as up until now my 5 and 3 rep max's have been 5kg apart. It's possible that maybe attempting a 5 rep max and a 3 rep max set on the same day is why this is happening.

Deadlift:
60kg x3
80kg x3
100kg x5 (PR)
110kg x3
120kg x2 (PR)
125kg x1 (PR)

Hookgrip is the biggest limiting factor here. I feel its beneficial for 1 maybe 2 reps but anything after and mix grip is probably better.

Clean and Squat Jerk:

Worked up to 55kg and made it which is a +5kg PR. So my max squat jerk is still only 5kg below my max split. Had a few goes at 60kg too but after all the squats and deadlifts there was no way I was making that lol. The good thing here is that I barely missed any lifts below 60kg so my mobility and technique has improved.

Accessories: lat pull downs, preacher curl

--

I think I'm in need of either a deload or rest week. I've been playing basketball for ~2hrs+ hours a week recently too. I've progressed on every lift recently especially on adding volume to my heavy working sets, not to mention PR's on the olympic lifts. This is all along side not sleeping enough and having a crappy diet. So maybe its not surprising that my backsquat is stalled.

Easter is coming up which means the following:

a) Will have access to real food lol
b) Frequency of training olympic lifts will decrease
c) More sleep
d) No deadlines

So I'm banking on those to help... If not then I'll seek help
Reply 69
Original post by TajwarC
18/03/2017

Had to skip some sessions this week due to my timetable being a bit intense so I missed out on my volume backsquat day. My body is actually falling apart lol.

Back Squat:
60kg x3
70kg x3
80kg x3
85kg x5 (PR)
90kg x1

I'm seemingly stalled here, as up until now my 5 and 3 rep max's have been 5kg apart. It's possible that maybe attempting a 5 rep max and a 3 rep max set on the same day is why this is happening.

Deadlift:
60kg x3
80kg x3
100kg x5 (PR)
110kg x3
120kg x2 (PR)
125kg x1 (PR)

Hookgrip is the biggest limiting factor here. I feel its beneficial for 1 maybe 2 reps but anything after and mix grip is probably better.

Clean and Squat Jerk:

Worked up to 55kg and made it which is a +5kg PR. So my max squat jerk is still only 5kg below my max split. Had a few goes at 60kg too but after all the squats and deadlifts there was no way I was making that lol. The good thing here is that I barely missed any lifts below 60kg so my mobility and technique has improved.

Accessories: lat pull downs, preacher curl

--

I think I'm in need of either a deload or rest week. I've been playing basketball for ~2hrs+ hours a week recently too. I've progressed on every lift recently especially on adding volume to my heavy working sets, not to mention PR's on the olympic lifts. This is all along side not sleeping enough and having a crappy diet. So maybe its not surprising that my backsquat is stalled.

Easter is coming up which means the following:

a) Will have access to real food lol
b) Frequency of training olympic lifts will decrease
c) More sleep
d) No deadlines

So I'm banking on those to help... If not then I'll seek help

Don't sacrifice sleep brah, or a good diet, the latter really isn't that hard, and the former is free, healthy, and free gains lol. Don't know why people don't sleep properly, i happily sacrifice anything else extra curricular to get enough sleep.

Do you watch any basketball? I follow the NBA religiously.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Sae.HH
Don't sacrifice sleep brah, or a good diet, the latter really isn't that hard, and the former is free, healthy, and free gains lol. Don't know why people don't sleep properly, i happily sacrifice anything else extra curricular to get enough sleep.

Do you watch any basketball? I follow the NBA religiously.

I'm a first year so I'm still a bit scared to miss lectures haha. And yeah I've been following the NBA just by watching Chris Smoove's highlight videos. I tend not to watch regular season games but I'll defo be watching as many playoff games as I can. Last years finals was a genuine experience.
Reply 71
Note to self:

Don't do a heavy squat/deadlifit/clean&jerk session and then proceed to play 2 hours of basketball in the evening.

I don't think I've ever felt so bad, I've barely eaten today and I have no appetite right now ffs
You need to learn how to force yourself to eat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Angry cucumber
You need to learn how to force yourself to eat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing it now. 2324 calories worth of Pizza in the oven as we speak, might not end well
Original post by TajwarC
Doing it now. 2324 calories worth of Pizza in the oven as we speak, might not end well

Das it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by TajwarC
I'm a first year so I'm still a bit scared to miss lectures haha. And yeah I've been following the NBA just by watching Chris Smoove's highlight videos. I tend not to watch regular season games but I'll defo be watching as many playoff games as I can. Last years finals was a genuine experience.

Game 7 was genuinely one of the best experiences of my life. I envy people who were there to see it live. Yeah after the first round of playoffs is where it really kicks off
Reply 76
19/03/2017

Bench:
40kg x5
50kg x5
55kg x5
55kg x5
50kg x6
50kg x6

Felt alright I guess, I always struggle benching in a power rack more than on an actual bench...Going home for a month for Easter though so my bench should increase quite a bit hopefully as I'll be training it more frequently. The reason why I don't at the moment is because again we don't have an actual bench so everyone benches off the power rack. This is problematic because if I'm also doing squats and an olympic lift (which I always am) it means I'd be using the rack for ages which is a bit unfair on everyone else. Also we only have as many bars as there are racks. Basically the gym I go to is stupid even though some of the equipment is kinda sick (3 Werksan IWF certified training barbells and many plates)

Push Press:
40kg x5
45kg x5 (PR)
50kg x3 (PR)

Felt alright ngl

Front Squat:
40kg x3
60kg x3
60kg x3
65kg x3
70kg x3
60kg x3

Felt bad. The weight moves but it doesn't feel any lighter than it did a month or so ago, even though I've made gains on it...

Defo deloading on the squats next week. Going to push on the olympic lifts a little as its my last chance before Easter to have multiple sessions (olympic lifts) a week, but I'll go light on the squats. Would be nice to add 2.5kg to the Snatch/Clean&Jerk and make a 60kg squat jerk before the holidays.

My appetite is still non-existent
Reply 77
Original post by Sae.HH
Game 7 was genuinely one of the best experiences of my life. I envy people who were there to see it live. Yeah after the first round of playoffs is where it really kicks off

Really hope its the same this year again, would 10/10 stay up to watch it on the day of an exam like I did last year lol
Reply 78
21/03/2017

(I would usually Front Squat on this day also but I'm only going to back/front squat once this week)

Snatch Balance:
40kg x3, 3 sets.

First time doing some kind of volume on snatch balance, went alright, no misses.

Snatch high pull:
Did some from the ground and some from the hang. Recorded some sets and the verdict is my snatch pull is terrible. I'm torn between grip width, too narrow (but comfortable to OHS with) and I won't finish the pull and too wide (comfortable to finish the pull and go into triple extension) and it's too uncomfortable to OHS with... I guess I will the best compromise over the coming weeks and make it work for me. Damn long arms...

Accessories: DW dips, preacher curl, tricep pushdowns, lower back extension

Basketball:

Tried my luck and asked if anyone had booked the court as I was walking out of the gym, got to play by myself for an hour. Just put up shots and worked on my dribble
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
22/03/2017

Barely made any olympic lifts today. As I mentioned earlier I was having trouble choosing a snatch grip; I was advised to go wider in order to finish the pull and bring the bar up to my hip. In doing so, my pull is better but I can't actually snatch it anymore because it destroys my wrists. I will need to restart my snatch balances using this new grip. Better now than later I suppose. It's also ripping up my hands, I've torn two callouses today.

Managed to deadlift 130kg with a hookgrip though, which matches my all time PR which was with a mixed grip.

[video="youtube;Ri_aB9t_UNg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_aB9t_UNg[/video]

I'm not too concerned about the torn callouses, it will force me to rest I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest