The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

views on The university of sheffield ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jambojim97
Economics department is shyte

Macro lectures consist of "ok ok ok ok ok ok".

hi. is it true that the economics department is shyte? why? the reputation is bad?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
...I want an offer from them.

You will get it cause you deserve it.

If not, we riot " :mob: " <--- Looool
Original post by Steljoy
You will get it cause you deserve it.

If not, we riot " :mob: " <--- Looool

Too good. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :toofunny:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Too good. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :toofunny:

:h: :h: :lol:
Original post by Steljoy
:h: :h: :lol:

Thank you too. :smile: :hugs:
I'm in the exact same dilemma. Both Southampton and Sheffield have given me offers for medicine and I don't know which to firm. Ranking wise, they're quite similar. Sheffield is much closer to home than Soton of course, but I don't like the fact that Sheffield's a city university. Soton has a much prettier campus and that's something I really care about. But I guess after I go to the offer holders open day for both I'll be able to make a decision... :/
Original post by desinlim
hi. is it true that the economics department is shyte? why? the reputation is bad?

Yes, it's true, refer to league tables for evidence of bad reputation.
Original post by d010534
I'm in the exact same dilemma. Both Southampton and Sheffield have given me offers for medicine and I don't know which to firm. Ranking wise, they're quite similar. Sheffield is much closer to home than Soton of course, but I don't like the fact that Sheffield's a city university. Soton has a much prettier campus and that's something I really care about. But I guess after I go to the offer holders open day for both I'll be able to make a decision... :/

From what I remember if you want to go the more academic route then Soton med is better but if you want to be more hands on then Sheffield is better. Sheffield also has the children's hospital which is world renowned so if you have a particular interest in paeds it would be strongly advised.

On the city vs. campus, I would say a lot of people who go to campus unis regret it because they're a lot quieter and more closed off. Sheffield also isn't a typical city uni and is often described as city-campus because everything is fairly close together and doesn't suffer from the same level of separation as other city unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
The university itself and the city are great but some departments are lacking - I would really check your relevant department thoroughly.
Reply 29
Original post by Minnam
The university itself and the city are great but some departments are lacking - I would really check your relevant department thoroughly.

Can you say which depts may be a concern in your opinion? PM if you are not comfortable saying publicly. Thanks.
Reply 30
Update: Firmed it as my first choice :u:

Quick Reply

Latest