The Student Room Group

Brexiters why do you hate scottish independence?

Surely you would support another fellow fighter against an oppressive bureaucratic far away government? Instead, I see you guys stamping your feet like toddlers over the idea that the Scottish people may even get a chance to exercise their democratic right. All you do is go on about how terrible Scotland's economy will be outside of the UK, and how the so called "experts" say it will cause massive damage. This is nothing but project fear and talking Scotland down. Scotland will be able to make great deals with a wide range of countries across the world like Zimbabwe, without having to deal with unelected Westminster bureaucrats who can't agree on whether shortbread should be a square or circle.

Although it's nowhere near as large a market as the UK they will still be in a stronger negotiating position, the fact is the UK needs Scotland more than they need us. We will bend over backwards for their every request because we won't want to lose billions imposing tariffs on shortbread or whisky. Failing that, the huge amounts of English citizens living in Scotland will make useful bargaining chips to further strengthen Scotlands hand.

It's time you all stopped with the fearmongering and accepted that it is a fact Scotland will be better off outside of the UK, instead of trying to subvert the will of the people by rejecting the referendum in parliament.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by intelligent con
Surely you would support another fellow fighter against an oppressive bureaucratic far away government? Instead, I see you guys stamping your feet like toddlers over the idea that the Scottish people may even get a chance to exercise their democratic right. All you do is go on about how terrible Scotland's economy will be outside of the UK, and how the so called "experts" say it will cause massive damage. This is nothing but project fear and talking Scotland down. Scotland will be able to make great deals with a wide range of countries across the world like Zimbabwe, without having to deal with unelected Westminster bureaucrats who can't agree on whether shortbread should be a square or circle.

Although it's nowhere near as large a market as the UK they will still be in a stronger negotiating position, the fact is the UK needs Scotland more than they need us. We will bend over backwards for their every request because we won't want to lose billions imposing tariffs on shortbread or whisky. Failing that, the huge amounts of English citizens living in Scotland will make useful bargaining chips to further strengthen Scotlands hand.

It's time you all stopped with the fearmongering and accepted that it is a fact Scotland will be better off outside of the UK, instead of trying to subvert the will of the people by rejecting the referendum in parliament.

Probably because most people don't see you as a country but as an area of the uk like Yorkshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Misery loves company
Agree fully with this post! :heart:
If Scotland votes for independence, Brexit supporters will earn themselves a reputation for doing something that even Hitler and Napoleon failed to do: destroy the United Kingdom.
I really don't mind what the Scottish people decide to do. It's entirely their choice and good luck to them whatever happens. But I will say this. Both Alex Salmond before her and now Nicola Sturgeon both come across as being very angry, negative individuals, and their message comes across that way. Why so negative? Why are they not trying to promote Scottish independence as a wonderful, positive thing? Sturgeon just comes across as wanting to teach the horrible English a lesson for voting to leave the EU. Well we were perfectly entitled to. Just as Scotland is perfectly entitled to vote for Independence if she so chooses. I just wish she would lighten the hell up about it all, to be honest.
Reply 6
Original post by paul514
Probably because most people don't see you as a country but as an area of the uk like Yorkshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then they're uneducated.
I don't hate that they want independence, if they want to go then I could not care any less, just sick of hearing about it.
Reply 8
If they want to go, let em go.

Hopefully Wales can follow.
If Scotland do leave then their only purpose is to get back into the EU, which France and Spain will keep on blocking. They don't want to destabilise two of their biggest members by giving the separatists the idea that you can break off and still be in the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would be happy for the Scottish to leave

Regards

Average Leave voter

Original post by intelligent con

Reply 11
This is a very silly thread.
Original post by Quantex
If Scotland votes for independence, Brexit supporters will earn themselves a reputation for doing something that even Hitler and Napoleon failed to do: destroy the United Kingdom.

No I think you'll find that blame will fall on the Scottish people. Why would it be the Brexit supporters fault?

I'd like to remind you that there was an independence referendum BEFORE Brexit.
When did you get the impression that Brexiters hate Scottish Independence in general, or more so than the average person?

Are you just trying to find a way to complain about Brexit?

Also I'd like to just refine your points a little bit more. There is a big difference between the UK's relationship with the EU and Scotland's relationship with the UK.

Scotland and England are financially linked, we share the same currency and we fund our public expenditures from the UK's overall tax income. We are geographically adjacent to each other on a single island, characteristically close and speak the same language. Scotland, when it comes to population per MP, is over-represented in the House of Commons. We also share our defences.

Can you say the same when it comes to the UK and the EU?

This just shows the depth of thought OP has for Brexit and Scottish independence, all he is able to do is to spot vague patterns and draw parallel to it immediately.
Reply 14
Original post by PowerSword
No I think you'll find that blame will fall on the Scottish people. Why would it be the Brexit supporters fault?

I'd like to remind you that there was an independence referendum BEFORE Brexit.

And let's not forget the SNP was pushing for a second independence referendum after that referendum and before Brexit.

Usual qualification: I'm was a strong Remain voter, but I don't think it's worthwhile blaming Brexit supporters for talk of a second independence referendum. There would be plenty other opportunities for the Scottish nationalists to whip their band of supporters into a frenzy without this.
Plenty of Brexiters like the idea of Scottish independence, they hate Scots as much as they hate the EU, they see them as basically a bunch of moaning lefties who drain English taxpayers money. Just think if we weren't giving all that money to Scotland, how much a week we could spend on the NHS.

Just because you are a Brexiter doesn't mean you have to love Britain, it's perfectly possibly to support Brexit and hate large parts of Britain, moaning victim Scousers, "metropolitan" London and so on.

Plenty of Brexiters would be perfectly happy with a small independent England based around Kent and the home counties where England is still England, you can have grammar schools and if we have to rely on cheap labour, scrap the minimum wage and let the riffraff from the north east who at least support the general concept of Brexit do those jobs.
Original post by CherishFreedom
When did you get the impression that Brexiters hate Scottish Independence in general, or more so than the average person?

Are you just trying to find a way to complain about Brexit?

Also I'd like to just refine your points a little bit more. There is a big difference between the UK's relationship with the EU and Scotland's relationship with the UK.

Scotland and England are financially linked, we share the same currency and we fund our public expenditures from the UK's overall tax income. We are geographically adjacent to each other on a single island, characteristically close and speak the same language. Scotland, when it comes to population per MP, is over-represented in the House of Commons. We also share our defences.

Can you say the same when it comes to the UK and the EU?

This just shows the depth of thought OP has for Brexit and Scottish independence, all he is able to do is to spot vague patterns and draw parallel to it immediately.

Disagree for two main reasons.

1) Brexiters do not want an independent Scotland rejoining or remaining in the EU. If Brexit goes wrong and becomes a disaster for England and Wales, they don't want to see a happy Scotland safe in the EU and saying 'told you so' at Englands doom.

2) Brexiters by a large mostly xenophobic and racist and they have as much contempt and dislike of Scottish people as they do for European and other foreign people. The only reason why England wants to hold onto Scotland is for its oil and gas rigs and also to subject Scots to unfair laws, cruel welfare reforms and cuts. They don't want to see a successful free Scotland.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Plenty of Brexiters like the idea of Scottish independence, they hate Scots as much as they hate the EU, they see them as basically a bunch of moaning lefties who drain English taxpayers money. Just think if we weren't giving all that money to Scotland, how much a week we could spend on the NHS.

Just because you are a Brexiter doesn't mean you have to love Britain, it's perfectly possibly to support Brexit and hate large parts of Britain, moaning victim Scousers, "metropolitan" London and so on.

Plenty of Brexiters would be perfectly happy with a small independent England based around Kent and the home counties where England is still England, you can have grammar schools and if we have to rely on cheap labour, scrap the minimum wage and let the riffraff from the north east who at least support the general concept of Brexit do those jobs.

Totally agree. Also the arrogance of May towards Scotland if anything is likely to create the kind of conflict we saw in Northern Ireland during the troubles of the 1970s and 80s including sectarian divisions in Scotland. May is not a unifier, she is a trouble maker.
Despite being English I agree that Scots will not stand for this arrogance and hate of their people, they will not stand for being torn away from the EU against their will, they are being pushed to the limit and who can blame them?
Hoots mon. Nicely done OP.
Reply 19
Original post by Ambitious1999
Totally agree. Also the arrogance of May towards Scotland

May has bent over backwards to involve a devolved governments in some of the most important decisions she has to make and you talk about arrogance? What arrant nonsense.

they will not stand for being torn away from the EU against their will

I rather think they will - and frankly I don't like the likes of you trying to co-opt my Remain vote for some cheap nationalist rhetoric. I voted Remain to reject nationalism and insularity, not to lend support to it.

Original post by Ambitious1999
The only reason why England wants to hold onto Scotland is for its oil and gas rigs and also to subject Scots to unfair laws, cruel welfare reforms and cuts.

This is genuinely spittle-flecked, man-sitting-in-his-pants-watching-conspiracy-videos-on-Youtube, ranting gibberish which betrays a complete ignorance of Scotland and its politics.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending