The Student Room Group

Tombre's 100 or so day journey to all A*s!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Abusive
What pieces of literature are you studying for the second exam? I'm doing heroes and inspector calls :P

I'm doing the same texts as you! I'm struggling with hitting AO2 in Heroes, as I prefer the context weighted essays. How are you finding it?
Original post by Tombre
I'm doing the same texts as you! I'm struggling with hitting AO2 in Heroes, as I prefer the context weighted essays. How are you finding it?

Tbh, we haven't done a whole lot in the questions at the moment. Considering our teacher was ill for the past 2 weeks and we've been doing language since. However we have completed 1 question on Larry LaSalle which I found was quite hard to write a thorough answer on considering you have to know all the corresponding quotes to do with that character. It's not like Of Mice and Men where you could reinforce your opinion with the historical background of the era the novella was written in. I'm sure it will get easier with time and practice however.
P.S. My class hasn't even began reading Inspector Calls yet.
Reply 102
Ahhh thank you!!! Well this year I have to do my unit 2+3 english language exam, physics,chemistry, biology and my numeracy maths exam. I find it difficult to revise for English language because the examiners could ask you about anything really. Have you got any good youtubers to watch for English language, specifically to the new wjec spec ? Also if I were to revise for physics or any science , would it be better to summarise my notes into a notebook and make resources on the topic the next night ? I'm kind of new to this whole revision thing sorry 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Original post by Abusive
Tbh, we haven't done a whole lot in the questions at the moment. Considering our teacher was ill for the past 2 weeks and we've been doing language since. However we have completed 1 question on Larry LaSalle which I found was quite hard to write a thorough answer on considering you have to know all the corresponding quotes to do with that character. It's not like Of Mice and Men where you could reinforce your opinion with the historical background of the era the novella was written in. I'm sure it will get easier with time and practice however.
P.S. My class hasn't even began reading Inspector Calls yet.

Ahh, I studied the texts in Year 10. And the quotes part is what I'm struggling with - 67% of the marks are language analysis. We're just doing English Language now, but we will have 3 weeks of Literature revision! Are you enjoying Heroes? My opinion on that book changes every day.
Reply 104
Original post by Jpijx
Ahhh thank you!!! Well this year I have to do my unit 2+3 english language exam, physics,chemistry, biology and my numeracy maths exam. I find it difficult to revise for English language because the examiners could ask you about anything really. Have you got any good youtubers to watch for English language, specifically to the new wjec spec ? Also if I were to revise for physics or any science , would it be better to summarise my notes into a notebook and make resources on the topic the next night ? I'm kind of new to this whole revision thing sorry 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! It's good to get into these habits! :biggrin:

That science technique sounds good! You just need to learn all topics really well. Writing notes and making resources is ideal. You get download your specification and split all topics up into sessions. For example (attached)

I agree about English Language, there could be any type of question. I would advise that you make sure your SPaG is perfect and simply practise.

Here is every practice paper available for the new spec -

http://resources.wjec.co.uk/Pages/ResourceSingle.aspx?rIid=710 (there are 6 here)

http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/r-english-language-gcse-wales/WJEC%20GCSE%20English%20Language%20SAMS%20(24-10-14)%20-%20Branded.pdf?language_id=1 (there are 2 here)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 105
Thank you :smile: I'll be sure to check them out! Where you've done a tally , did you just look over the notes or rewrite them out ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
Original post by Jpijx
Thank you :smile: I'll be sure to check them out! Where you've done a tally , did you just look over the notes or rewrite them out ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tally just means how many sessions of that subject I have done, not of each sub-topic. But as far revisiting work, it depends on how well I understand the topic :smile: If it's a weak topic I rewrite, if I'm confident I just read.
Reply 107
Oh I can't stress enough how much this has helped , thank you! I will let you know whether these tips have helped or not ! Hopefully they will as I think I'm a visual learner meaning I learn from colourful notes etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tombre
Thank you so much! :biggrin: Here are some of my revision tips (also, if you want to let me know what subjects you do, I may be able to give some subject specific advice):

To revise, I start by making sure I am in comfortable clothes, in a comfortable place, with no distractions and I'm hydrated and not hungry. I usually get a really big glass of water or green tea to take with me to last the session. :smile:

I like to write notes to revise, however this may not be the best method for you, it really depends on the person. I make them look really nice and write slowly so it all sinks in. If I have trouble grasping a topic then I will write it out again and again, until it's memorised (also works for learning paragraphs for languages). My notes have to be really colourful and visual - it really sticks in my brain. :tongue:

After I have revised a topic, I will watch a YouTube video on it. For the Sciences I recommend Primrose Kitten, Science With Hazel and Christopher Thornton. For English I recommend Mr Bruff and Mr Salles.

The app Gojimo is an app with quizzes for every subject, for every exam board. It's often overlooked but is really good! You can whip it open on the bus or train or when you're bored and test yourself - incorporating revision into your lifestyle is very important.

I then teach someone else the topic - it really helps me understand and consolidate. According to an ASAPscience video I watched, in an experiment, the group of students told they were going to teach the topic did much better than the group told they were going to be tested. I taught my mum all about plants in the car the other day and surprised myself by how much I knew and found myself really explaining exactly how everything worked.

I CANNOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT PRACTISE IS! DOWNLOAD PAST PAPERS FOR EVERYTHING - I don't care that Maths is a new spec, HOW TO DO MATHS HAS NOT CHANGED. The English Language format has changed completely, but there are so many sample papers out there and some past question styles have survived. Practise English Literature essays for every possible character or theme. In science the questions repeat year after year after year. PAST PAPERS = LIFE SAVERS. :wink:

Something new I have been trialling this week (and is working) is making big, bright informative posters and sticking them on a wall. I stuck some Biology posters on my kitchen wall and when I make breakfast in the morning, I read them. And it's helped a lot. :smile:

I revise in blocks, anywhere from 25-45 minutes - I set out the exact time beforehand. I then take a break afterwards (if 25 mins, this is 5 minutes, if 30-40, this is 10 mins and I have a 15 minute break if I worked for 45 minutes). In these breaks I don't just check my phone, I get active. I walk around the house, do the dishwasher, make someone a cup of tea etc, it really helps to consolidate my knowledge. :biggrin:

I also plan what I will revise throughout the whole week on Sundays. I write out a daily timetable and say EXACTLY what I will be doing. For example:

Monday
16:30-16:55 - English Literature: An Inspector Calls - Sheila Birling
17:00-17:45 - Biology: B3.1 (Plants) - Transpiration
18:00-18:40 - Additional Maths - Differentiation

This part isn't so much linked to actual revision, but is important for keeping in the mindset - see friends regularly, do exercise whenever you have the time and eat the right foods! Your grades will thank you! Staying healthy (mentally and physically) is so important! :biggrin:

Sorry, I waffled a bit, but I also want this here for myself in case I lose motivation haha :colondollar:

PRSOM :biggrin:

I feel this is great advice no matter the level of education!
Reply 109
Original post by Shaaayxp
PRSOM :biggrin:

I feel this is great advice no matter the level of education!

Aw thanks! I wish I listened to my advice all of the time haha :biggrin:
Reply 110
What do you mean ? You seem extremely motivated :0 I decided today to write out all the grades I want for GCSE and so hopefully that will motivate me !:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Original post by Jpijx
What do you mean ? You seem extremely motivated :0 I decided today to write out all the grades I want for GCSE and so hopefully that will motivate me !:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I'm motivated MOST of the time, haha. That sounds like a good idea! You'll definitely ace your exams! Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 112
YO

So yeah, my plans to revise over the weekend went to nothing as I had two parties with friends and one family gathering :biggrin: I did do some Biology and English.

Last Friday I did my Spanish Speaking (Presentation and Discussion) and I'm predicted 20/20 for it :biggrin: I'm so happy, I thought I messed it up completely!

I also finally got my Geography Unit 3 (Fieldwork and DME) back today and (I have no idea how... I swear my DME was awful) I got 98/100. 38/40 in Fieldwork and 60/60 in the DME :biggrin: I legitimately have no idea how I did it... Having a secure A* in Unit 1 and 3 (65% altogether) really takes the pressure off for my Unit 2 exam, though I still want to really ace it!

SO, TODAY IN SCHOOL...

WELSH
We did some paragraphs about the history of the Urdd... fun... :colonhash:

ADDITIONAL MATHS
OKAY SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN DIFFERENTIATION FROM FIRST PRINCIPLES? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND :angry:

BIOLOGY
Okay, so we did this really cool prac with milk and agar jelly! I'm excited to see the outcome! :tongue:

GEOGRAPHY
I think we may have finished the Retail and Urban Change unit, but I'm honestly not too sure. I hope so, because time is ticking and we still have to revisit Coasts. We looked at Amazon as a case study of online retail. :h:

CHEMISTRY
We looked at the manufacture and impacts of nitrogenous fertilisers and then the contact process - very Biology to begin with. We've nearly finished this topic (Reversible Reactions, Industrial Processes and Important Chemicals) - just half a lesson left! :wink:

So tomorrow I have my English Language Unit 2 Mock. I have tried to prepare but I honestly don't know how... I want to save the sample papers to do in May Half Term, in the lead-up to the Unit 2 and 3 exams. I'm going to try and do some Physics and some more English Language as well tonight.
Reply 113
Good luck with your English mock tomorrow! You're probably going to do really well! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sending positive vibes your way for the mock tomorrow! A great result will follow the geography one, I'm sure of it.

(Also 98/100?! Damn that's awesome)
Original post by Tombre
YO

So yeah, my plans to revise over the weekend went to nothing as I had two parties with friends and one family gathering :biggrin: I did do some Biology and English.

Last Friday I did my Spanish Speaking (Presentation and Discussion) and I'm predicted 20/20 for it :biggrin: I'm so happy, I thought I messed it up completely!

I also finally got my Geography Unit 3 (Fieldwork and DME) back today and (I have no idea how... I swear my DME was awful) I got 98/100. 38/40 in Fieldwork and 60/60 in the DME :biggrin: I legitimately have no idea how I did it... Having a secure A* in Unit 1 and 3 (65% altogether) really takes the pressure off for my Unit 2 exam, though I still want to really ace it!

SO, TODAY IN SCHOOL...

WELSH
We did some paragraphs about the history of the Urdd... fun... :colonhash:

ADDITIONAL MATHS
OKAY SO CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN DIFFERENTIATION FROM FIRST PRINCIPLES? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND :angry:

BIOLOGY
Okay, so we did this really cool prac with milk and agar jelly! I'm excited to see the outcome! :tongue:

GEOGRAPHY
I think we may have finished the Retail and Urban Change unit, but I'm honestly not too sure. I hope so, because time is ticking and we still have to revisit Coasts. We looked at Amazon as a case study of online retail. :h:

CHEMISTRY
We looked at the manufacture and impacts of nitrogenous fertilisers and then the contact process - very Biology to begin with. We've nearly finished this topic (Reversible Reactions, Industrial Processes and Important Chemicals) - just half a lesson left! :wink:

So tomorrow I have my English Language Unit 2 Mock. I have tried to prepare but I honestly don't know how... I want to save the sample papers to do in May Half Term, in the lead-up to the Unit 2 and 3 exams. I'm going to try and do some Physics and some more English Language as well tonight.

Hope your English mock went well! You always seem to get amazing results anyway :biggrin:
Reply 116
Original post by Jpijx
Good luck with your English mock tomorrow! You're probably going to do really well! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I think it went pretty well :smile:
Reply 117
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Sending positive vibes your way for the mock tomorrow! A great result will follow the geography one, I'm sure of it.

(Also 98/100?! Damn that's awesome)

Thank you so much! I think the mock went pretty well! :h:

(Thank you SO much, :biggrin: I really didn't expect it!)
Reply 118
Original post by Shaaayxp
Hope your English mock went well! You always seem to get amazing results anyway :biggrin:

Aw thank you so much! :biggrin: I hope I can keep it up, this was the first time I've properly done anything exam related for Eng Lang eek!
Original post by Tombre
ADDITIONAL MATHS

:wavey:

Alternatively, you could ask in the Maths forum where others will surely be able to explain it better than me! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending