The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Brighton Film School Interview

I have an interview for Brighton Film School on the 25th Jan for the Filmmaking HNC/HND course. It is my first uni interview and I was just wondering if anyone has had an interview for BFS and can give me an idea on what to expect?

Thanks, Lauren
Hey super late to this but how did it go? I had my interview there last week and got a conditional. But they're asking for a £500... did they ask you for this?
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by johannarebecca7
Hey super late to this but how did it go? I had my interview there last week and got a conditional. But they're asking for a £500... did they ask you for this?

Hi! It went well thank you, I got an unconditional! (only because I already know what grades I got) They have asked me for £500 deposit yes which is slightly annoying as they want it by the end of March and I still have other uni interviews in March, I might email them and ask them to extend that deadline
Hey, I have also applied to Brighton Film School for Filmmaking too and received an unconditional! Yeah I know, its pretty annoying about the £500 deposit, but they have allowed me to extend it to the middle of April! So maybe try that? What other Universities have you applied for? :smile:
Original post by LaurenJM98
Hi! It went well thank you, I got an unconditional! (only because I already know what grades I got) They have asked me for £500 deposit yes which is slightly annoying as they want it by the end of March and I still have other uni interviews in March, I might email them and ask them to extend that deadline

Original post by EmilyFergusonEF
Hey, I have also applied to Brighton Film School for Filmmaking too and received an unconditional! Yeah I know, its pretty annoying about the £500 deposit, but they have allowed me to extend it to the middle of April! So maybe try that? What other Universities have you applied for? :smile:

I only received a conditional but the grades I need to get are MMM and I'm predicted DDM so it shouldn't be a problem. The £500 isn't a problem, my mum can give it to me. I just don't like that' it's non-refundable should I change my mind/not get the grades somehow. Also the fact it's end of March is annoying too. Given we don't technically have to make a decision on UCAS until the end of May. They called me the other day to ask if I made a decision and I said no, and that I can't make any decision until they actually update UCAS (it's been a month since I got the offer and they still haven't). My teachers just told me to ignore the march deadline though, make my decision as normal, and if I want to make them my firm pay it the deposit then. So I'll probably do that:smile:

How likely are you to make it your firm?
I only received a conditional but the grades I need to get are MMM and I'm predicted DDM so it shouldn't be a problem. The £500 isn't a problem, my mum can give it to me. I just don't like that' it's non-refundable should I change my mind/not get the grades somehow. Also the fact it's end of March is annoying too. Given we don't technically have to make a decision on UCAS until the end of May. They called me the other day to ask if I made a decision and I said no, and that I can't make any decision until they actually update UCAS (it's been a month since I got the offer and they still haven't). My teachers just told me to ignore the march deadline though, make my decision as normal, and if I want to make them my firm pay it the deposit then. So I'll probably do that:smile:

How likely are you to make it your firm?

Sorry, I meant I received a conditional, don't know why I put unconditional! Haha! Me and my Mum spoke to them today and they say they aren't really connected to UCAS as its more of a UNI thing rather than a Film school site, which is fair enough I guess. They also said if they don't get the deposit they will have to say no as its unfair to other students who got turned away who really wanted to go. He said they have specifically chosen certain people! So go us :wink: haha! He said that theirs like 18 to a class too which is quite nice to know that you won't get lost in the crowd like at massive UNI's! I have got into Ravensbourne, Portsmouth, Brighton UNI, Kingston and Brighton film school. But I am just so confused whether to go down the education route or go for an apprenticeship with a video production company! There are too many choices for my liking haha! What others have you applied for? How likely do you think you'll go to Brighton Film School? Also Mum told me they have just been awarded the top award of excellence from Ofsted or something like that! I am really thinking about Brighton film school as its such a sense of community and practicality! :h:
Reply 6

Hi!! I emailed them too and they said I could extend but it's not guaranteed I'd get a place without the deposit (I wouldn't really call that an unconditional but there you go!!). I've applied to Bournemouth Arts, Ravensbourne, London Met and UAL, you?
Sorry, I meant I received a conditional, don't know why I put unconditional! Haha! Me and my Mum spoke to them today and they say they aren't really connected to UCAS as its more of a UNI thing rather than a Film school site, which is fair enough I guess. They also said if they don't get the deposit they will have to say no as its unfair to other students who got turned away who really wanted to go. He said they have specifically chosen certain people! So go us :wink: haha! He said that theirs like 18 to a class too which is quite nice to know that you won't get lost in the crowd like at massive UNI's! I have got into Ravensbourne, Portsmouth, Brighton UNI, Kingston and Brighton film school. But I am just so confused whether to go down the education route or go for an apprenticeship with a video production company! There are too many choices for my liking haha! What others have you applied for? How likely do you think you'll go to Brighton Film School? Also Mum told me they have just been awarded the top award of excellence from Ofsted or something like that! I am really thinking about Brighton film school as its such a sense of community and practicality! :h:

Yeah but you can still apply to them through UCAS. I was told they've been having problems with it so they'll try to sort it out. Their HND is awarded by the college I already go to (Chichester College) and I spoke to them about the deposit and they don't understand why they need a deposit for the actual course. It's just so much pressure to try and decide 2 months earlier than I have to as there's a lot to weigh up. I loved their facilities, but they only use Final Cut for editing, so I'm not to sure if I'd rather go somewhere that uses Avid as well as that's the industry standard.

I've applied for Brighton Film School, University of Chichester, UCA, Southampton Solent, and University of South Wales. The last 2 I got unconditionals (though Southampton's is only unconditional if I make it my firm) and the other 3 are conditionals. Right now I'm highly considering Brighton, Chichester and South Wales and just need to narrow it down
Hello :smile:

We totally understand why you are wondering we ask for a deposit. The reason for this is that we get all of our first class camera kit in based on the students who have applied. If for some reason every student changed their mind and decided to either go on a gap year or decide to study somewhere else through clearing, we would have got expensive equipment in for no reason.

Please take your time in deciding where to study. If you have any questions at all then please ask away - I would love to help.

As for the editing, we do also have Avid and Adobe Premier.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Holly from BFS :biggrin:

Yeah but you can still apply to them through UCAS. I was told they've been having problems with it so they'll try to sort it out. Their HND is awarded by the college I already go to (Chichester College) and I spoke to them about the deposit and they don't understand why they need a deposit for the actual course. It's just so much pressure to try and decide 2 months earlier than I have to as there's a lot to weigh up. I loved their facilities, but they only use Final Cut for editing, so I'm not to sure if I'd rather go somewhere that uses Avid as well as that's the industry standard.

I've applied for Brighton Film School, University of Chichester, UCA, Southampton Solent, and University of South Wales. The last 2 I got unconditionals (though Southampton's is only unconditional if I make it my firm) and the other 3 are conditionals. Right now I'm highly considering Brighton, Chichester and South Wales and just need to narrow it down
Original post by Brighton Film School
Hello :smile:

We totally understand why you are wondering we ask for a deposit. The reason for this is that we get all of our first class camera kit in based on the students who have applied. If for some reason every student changed their mind and decided to either go on a gap year or decide to study somewhere else through clearing, we would have got expensive equipment in for no reason.

Please take your time in deciding where to study. If you have any questions at all then please ask away - I would love to help.

As for the editing, we do also have Avid and Adobe Premier.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Holly from BFS :biggrin:

That makes a lot more sense, thanks for explaining it! I've been talking to admissions as well about it and they have offered to lower it for me since I couldn't afford £500 myself (my mum did offer to pay it but since changed her mind) but can afford a figure that's a little less, so it's nice to know they're willing to negotiate and make sure money doesn't become a barrier.

Thanks for letting me know about the editing as well. The woman who interviewed me only mentioned Final Cut so I wasn't aware you had the others!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys, just wondered whether you decided to go to Brighton Film School in the end?

I'm currently at uni doing film but I really don't think the course is practical enough for me and may be considering applying for BFS.

If you did end up going there, how is it? Do you think you made the right choice?

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending