The Student Room Group

Which should I firm Queen Mary, London or Warwick?

I desperately need advice on which I should firm in terms of career prospects, teaching and overall student life? I really want the best chance at succeeding so this decision is vital and also because I've heard so many bad things about QMUL on here.

Scroll to see replies

When you say 'London' do you mean London University (which doesn't exist as a single institution) or did you mean Queen Mary University of London?

If it's out of QMUL and Warwick - they are both very good universities. Queen Mary is excellent for Law and has recently joined the RG. Warwick is a fantastic Russel Group university, full stop.

Warwick generally is a far better university and it requires AAA whereas Queen Mary requires A*AA. If I was you, I'd go for Warwick. Its employability rates are fab too.
Original post by PurpleMash
When you say 'London' do you mean London University (which doesn't exist as a single institution) or did you mean Queen Mary University of London?

If it's out of QMUL and Warwick - they are both very good universities. Queen Mary is excellent for Law and has recently joined the RG. Warwick is a fantastic Russel Group university, full stop.

Warwick generally is a far better university and it requires AAA whereas Queen Mary requires A*AA. If I was you, I'd go for Warwick. Its employability rates are fab too.

Hi, yeah I meant QMUL sorry, haha! Do you have any knowledge of student life at either of these uni's if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by J-SP
From a careers prospects perspective they are both very similar. Warwick's Law Society is probably a bit more active/successful at getting firms/chambers on campus, but Queen Mary benefits from being local to more legal employers in London. Both universities have a good careers service and their law faculties both have strong connections to the industry due to their alumni and research arms (QM has strong links with Arbitration).

Great advice, thank you! It seems like you take more to QMUL?
Have you visited both? I assume that you don't have to make a decision until June, so I would visit both and see which you prefer.
Original post by J-SP
From a careers prospects perspective they are both very similar. Warwick's Law Society is probably a bit more active/successful at getting firms/chambers on campus, but Queen Mary benefits from being local to more legal employers in London. Both universities have a good careers service and their law faculties both have strong connections to the industry due to their alumni and research arms (QM has strong links with Arbitration).

Warwick, more prestigious, and its a full target for IBs, consultancy firms etc. QMUL isn't even a Semi target. Also QMUL is in a hood. Like literally the hood of all hoods.
Original post by J-SP
Sorry, was looking at it from legal employers' perspectives rather than IB/consultancy firms, but even then the rules still apply - being geographically closer to your potential employers can bring certain benefits, like open days/careers events being on your doorstep.

And although East London is not for everyone, neither is Warwick where it is in the middle of nowhere. Great if you love living in a campus bubble, not great if you want to get out of the university environment easily, especially if you don't have a car.

I am looking at the career prospects more in terms of legal employers so that's good news! I'm going to visit in early April so I'll see then, my auntie lives in central London but she loves the East end so I believe it's personal preference.
Original post by RogerOxon
Have you visited both? I assume that you don't have to make a decision until June, so I would visit both and see which you prefer.

I've been to Warwick and I'm going to QMUL in early April. Deadline for decisions is May 5th so time is ticking, haha!
Original post by JustPadz
Warwick, more prestigious, and its a full target for IBs, consultancy firms etc. QMUL isn't even a Semi target. Also QMUL is in a hood. Like literally the hood of all hoods.

I love Warwick but the area really sucks as I would love to be in a city! However, Birmingham isn't too far and that's an awesome city so I suppose it's leaps and roundabouts. Have you ever been to the east end? Was just wondering your reasoning. All cities have rough aspects and most students I known/have spoken to who study in central London live out in the east end due to financial reasons.
QMUL, I think
Original post by celynasummers
Hi, yeah I meant QMUL sorry, haha! Do you have any knowledge of student life at either of these uni's if you don't mind me asking?

Warwick, as someone pointed out, is in the middle of 'nowhere' and it is hard to get out of the university if you don't have a car, I agree. But then, much of what you need is at the university anyway.

QMUL on the other hand has a different location and isn't in the middle of 'nowhere' although it is in the 'hood' as was mentioned earlier.

I've been to the unis and have friends in both unis and they all say much of what I've said. However, QMUL is fantastic for law. It's known for its law school and has its own legal clinic which will allow you to experience the law in practice. This then means it has a lot of connections with law firms. So in terms of employability, QMUL is probably better because of its law school.

You should visit both, though - don't just take our words on it as TSR is very subjective.
Original post by J-SP
Sorry, was looking at it from legal employers' perspectives rather than IB/consultancy firms, but even then the rules still apply - being geographically closer to your potential employers can bring certain benefits, like open days/careers events being on your doorstep.

And although East London is not for everyone, neither is Warwick where it is in the middle of nowhere. Great if you love living in a campus bubble, not great if you want to get out of the university environment easily, especially if you don't have a car.

I know that London is super fun to live in, an a campus might be a bit of a bubble, and at warwick cows and chickens might be your neighbours, but I would rather that then the crew round the Mile End Bethnal Green Area, come and check it out and have a walk round there in the day and you'll see what I mean. It's horrible
I love Warwick but the area really sucks as I would love to be in a city! However, Birmingham isn't too far and that's an awesome city so I suppose it's leaps and roundabouts. Have you ever been to the east end? Was just wondering your reasoning. All cities have rough aspects and most students I known/have spoken to who study in central London live out in the east end due to financial reasons.

I do indeed live in Londinium, I've been out there and its horrible I felt unsafe, and this was in the day, let alone at night.
Original post by JustPadz
I know that London is super fun to live in, an a campus might be a bit of a bubble, and at warwick cows and chickens might be your neighbours, but I would rather that then the crew round the Mile End Bethnal Green Area, come and check it out and have a walk round there in the day and you'll see what I mean. It's horrible

I'm more concerned with the career prospects/my time at uni than the actual area. What suits one doesn't suit another!
I'm more concerned with the career prospects/my time at uni than the actual area. What suits one doesn't suit another!

In my opinion Warwick tops QMUL still in terms of academic reputation, but that's just me.
I desperately need advice on which I should firm in terms of career prospects, teaching and overall student life? I really want the best chance at succeeding so this decision is vital and also because I've heard so many bad things about QMUL on here.

All the people who chat rubbish about QMUL probably don't even go to the university so what would they know? People on the TSR seems to think UCL and Oxbridge are the only good universities in the country.

I go to QMUL and can tell you that the teaching is fabulous. Tutors are always willing to help you if you have any questions and they always respond quickly to e-mails.

QMUL always hosts lots of career fairs throughout the years and the Careers and Enterprise office offers advice on your CV and do mock interviews. There is also something called QTemps that advertises part time jobs, internships and graduate jobs. a lot of these jobs are often exclusive to Queen Mary graduates only. QMUL gives you a lot of support with your career.

QMUL also does a lot to help students with any problems they are having, like mental health. Advice and Counselling offers same day appointments which are really good. There is also a lot of academic support as well. The library runs workshops on improving your essay writing skills.

QMUL is a very good university and going to Warwick will not put you at any significant advantage to people who go QMUL.
Original post by JohnGreek
Why the **** is IB relevant?

Warwick has both a higher presence in City law firms, and the fifth highest 5-year salary for its law grads in the UK (after Oxbridge, LSE and UCL). However, I suspect that the name difference alone isn't worth choosing one university over another. Have you looked at whether you prefer either university's course modules or location?

I'm visiting QMUL in a few weeks & Warwick's locaction isn't the best :/ I love Warwick's course but haven't looked into QMUL yet.. It's just annoying because everyone on the student room just blasts QMUL terribly

Yup I agree QMUL is certainly certainly not the best, except for Film, Materials Science, (QM associated) or Medicine, Dentistry (both of which are Bart's associated).

The rest of the courses at QMUL are a HUGE drop, with some courses not even making it to the UK league table at all.

Go to Warwick !!

Quick Reply

Latest