The Student Room Group

Imperial, Warwick, or Cranfield? MSc in Marketing

Hello everyone,

I am an international student willing to go for MSc degree in the field of marketing. I applied to several universities and business schools in the UK. I was able to receive offers from all these universities. After doing my research and asking so many friends and relatives I narrowed my list of universities down to the following three offers:

Imperial College Business School MSc in Strategic Marketing

Warwick Business School MSc in Marketing & Strategy

Cranfield School of Management MSc in Strategic Marketing

As mentioned earlier, I am an international student and I am willing to stay in the UK and work there for few years after my graduation. I would like to know which of these degrees is going to give me higher chances to secure a good job. Regarding my interests, I am willing to work in consulting and digital marketing.

I really need some personal opinions about this. Any feedback from alumni of these universities (programs ideally) will be really helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my choice.
Original post by Anasach

They are all reputable universities and the difference in your employability from any of them is likely to come down to your personal characteristics rather than the degree.

Depending on your nationality, you need to look carefully at your eligibility to work in the UK after graduation. If you are here on a student visa, it will probably not allow you to stay beyond the end of your course. There are many different variations on the possibilities, and of course we have a few years of changing rules coming up, but be aware your 'willingness' to stay and work may not be the guiding requirement.

You could look at some large organisations you'd like to work for and see if any of their alumni are graduates of these courses. if the information isn't available fo the course website, sometimes contacting the departments will get more information on graduate employment for the course.
If you want to work in digital marketing, you need a Masters that has a sound technical foundation to it. Marketing is undergoing somewhat of a revolution in terms of data and analytics and the better versed you are in this the better you will be of getting a job in the profession.

Although all three are fantastic business schools, Imperial's MSc stands out as one of the better courses. The combination of modules is highly relevant and the school's technical approach to marketing is more relevant to the changing nature of the overall profession. I was also highly impressed with the relatively small classes and focus on ensuring contact hours are maximised.

All in all, you can't go wrong with either of them but all else being equal, I would chose Imperial.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
They are all reputable universities and the difference in your employability from any of them is likely to come down to your personal characteristics rather than the degree.

Depending on your nationality, you need to look carefully at your eligibility to work in the UK after graduation. If you are here on a student visa, it will probably not allow you to stay beyond the end of your course. There are many different variations on the possibilities, and of course we have a few years of changing rules coming up, but be aware your 'willingness' to stay and work may not be the guiding requirement.

You could look at some large organisations you'd like to work for and see if any of their alumni are graduates of these courses. if the information isn't available fo the course website, sometimes contacting the departments will get more information on graduate employment for the course.

Thank you so much for your response, it is really helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by Aceadria
If you want to work in digital marketing, you need a Masters that has a sound technical foundation to it. Marketing is undergoing somewhat of a revolution in terms of data and analytics and the better versed you are in this the better you will be of getting a job in the profession.

Although all three are fantastic business schools, Imperial's MSc stands out as one of the better courses. The combination of modules is highly relevant and the school's technical approach to marketing is more relevant to the changing nature of the overall profession. I was also highly impressed with the relatively small classes and focus on ensuring contact hours are maximised.

All in all, you can't go wrong with either of them but all else being equal, I would chose Imperial.

Thank you so much for your response. I agree with you, the program provided by Imperial's MSc is really interesting. I was in doubt because Warwick and Imperial business schools are so close to eahc other in the different rankings (FT, QS, THE...)
Original post by Anasach
Thank you so much for your response. I agree with you, the program provided by Imperial's MSc is really interesting. I was in doubt because Warwick and Imperial business schools are so close to eahc other in the different rankings (FT, QS, THE...)

The rankings are important but by no means the most important factor. You really need to understand the direction the profession as a whole is going in and which degree will prepare you best for it. I appreciate the hesitation, but rankings are of limited importance once you get your first position and performance will more than outweigh your education.
Original post by Anasach
Hello everyone,

I am an international student willing to go for MSc degree in the field of marketing. I applied to several universities and business schools in the UK. I was able to receive offers from all these universities. After doing my research and asking so many friends and relatives I narrowed my list of universities down to the following three offers:

Imperial College Business School MSc in Strategic Marketing

Warwick Business School MSc in Marketing & Strategy

Cranfield School of Management MSc in Strategic Marketing

As mentioned earlier, I am an international student and I am willing to stay in the UK and work there for few years after my graduation. I would like to know which of these degrees is going to give me higher chances to secure a good job. Regarding my interests, I am willing to work in consulting and digital marketing.

I really need some personal opinions about this. Any feedback from alumni of these universities (programs ideally) will be really helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my choice.

Hi,

They are all excellent Universities, and all courses have some reputation which you may not find in many places. However, if I were you, I would not put too much focus on the rankings. It is simple; the same panel interview where you would see an Imperial graduate, you will most probably see a Cranfield graduate or a Warwick graduate as employers know the quality of these schools. And I know a bit as I am an international student like you, although doing a PhD in Cranfield. I worked a bit before starting my PhD in Cranfield and hence I've been through interviews.:smile:

It is always on the content that employers focus on. For a start ensure that your grades at MSc level are excellent. Prior to that ensure that your eventual choice of school is driven by the opportunities that Uni provides, the module contents of the MSc and opportunities for possible interaction with employers, either during live group projects as we do in Cranfield, or any other medium. I reckon Warwick and Imperial may do something similar, but it would be worth checking.
As long as your grades are excellent you will be fine. Many international students here at Cranfield obtain career roles during their MSc studies, but it is hard work.And, of course, start the job search early enough!

I hope this helps! Cheers!:smile:

Cranfield TSR Rep:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending