The Student Room Group

Cambridge veterinary medicine 2018

Hi all,

Reaching out to anyone who is thinking of applying to Cambridge for vet med in 2018.

I'm in need of some advice, as I feel I'm not a very strong candidate.

I'll give you my background....
I'm in year 13, almost 18, and studying biology, psychology and PE. I am predicted and got in my mocks all A*'s. I applied for sports science but now taking a gap year to get some work experience and study A level chemistry and physics (in one year) and possibly maths AS.

The school have agreed to predict me all A/A*'s when I take my A levels next year

GCSE's:
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
Geography- A*
PE-A*
History- A (1UMS off an A*... full UMS in the exam but school didn't tell me my coursework)
Biology- A
Spanish- A
English lit- A (1 UMS off an A* again... I got full UMS in the exam but my school marked my coursework down once again)
English Lang- B (bad exam day...)
Maths- A

AS levels
Business- A

A levels predictions 2017-
Biology-A*
Psychology- A*
PE- A*

A level predictions 2018
Chemistry- A/A*
Physics- A/A*

As predictions 2018
Maths- A

Extra curricular-
Qualified lifeguard
Qualified lvl 2 swim coach
World Challenge (a 4 week expedition to Madagascar that helps benifits the community there and all self-funded)
Triathlon- club level and training for ironman in Weymouth
Rowing- competitor in national schools regatta and Henley Royal regatta
Athletics- district level (yes, I'm very sporty)
Dofe- Norway for silver and Morocco for gold
I've lived abroad my whole life but moved to the UK for exams, I'm British.
PE and psychology prize at my school
I will regularly teach lower sixth biology and psychology in my next school as I would have done the new spec exam

Work experience that will be achieved prior to October-
10 weeks kennels
1 week small vet
2 weeks dairy
2 weeks lambing
4 weeks another small vet
1 week pig farm
3 weeks projects abroad
1 week equine

I understand I am not a strong candidate for my GCSE's and my 2017 subject choices and my work experience. Am I very likely to be rejected (don't worry, I rather be told than waste 1 of my 4 choices next year)

I will be willing to re-sit my English language in 2018/ however I'm not sure if Cambridge will be keen on me re-sitting. I'm very annoyed by that B; I'm pretty sure they didn't mark my whole exam or something because I'm very sure I smashed that exam! I was too worried for it to be re-marked, however my friend got hers remarked and she found out that they did not mark her whole exam too. Suggestions?

Anyone else? What's your profile like?

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sammy2012
Hi all,

Reaching out to anyone who is thinking of applying to Cambridge for vet med in 2018.

I'm in year 13, almost 18, and studying biology, psychology and PE. I am predicted and got in my mocks all A*'s. I applied for sports science but now taking a gap year to get some work experience and study A level chemistry and physics (in one year) and possibly maths AS.

The school have agreed to predict me all A/A*'s when I take my A levels next year

GCSE's:
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
Geography- A*
PE-A*
History- A (1UMS off an A*... full UMS in the exam but school didn't tell me my coursework)
Biology- A
Spanish- A
English lit- A (1 UMS off an A* again... I got full UMS in the exam but my school marked my coursework down once again)
Maths- A

AS levels
Business- A

Biology-A*
Psychology- A*
PE- A*

A level predictions 2018
Chemistry- A/A*
Physics- A/A*

As predictions 2018
Maths- A

Extra curricular-
Qualified lifeguard
World Challenge (a 4 week expedition to Madagascar that helps benifits the community there and all self-funded)
I will regularly teach lower sixth biology and psychology in my next school as I would have done the new spec exam

10 weeks kennels
1 week small vet
2 weeks dairy
2 weeks lambing
1 week pig farm
3 weeks projects abroad
1 week equine

I understand I am not a strong candidate for my GCSE's and my 2017 subject choices and my work experience. Am I very likely to be rejected (don't worry, I rather be told than waste 1 of my 4 choices next year)

I will be willing to re-sit my English language in 2018/ however I'm not sure if Cambridge will be keen on me re-sitting. I'm very annoyed by that B; I'm pretty sure they didn't mark my whole exam or something because I'm very sure I smashed that exam! I was too worried for it to be re-marked, however my friend got hers remarked and she found out that they did not mark her whole exam too. Suggestions?

Firstly, you don't need to resit English GCSE.

Secondly, given you have a less conventional profile I recommend you contact a couple or three colleges about your academics to ask their opinion.

At first glance i think you could be a competitive applicant, but you really should get the colleges to confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Firstly, you don't need to resit English GCSE.

Secondly, given you have a less conventional profile I recommend you contact a couple or three colleges about your academics to ask their opinion.

At first glance i think you could be a competitive applicant, but you really should get the colleges to confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the advice, I'm just a bit weary that I'm up against people who already have degrees/ all A*'s at GCSE and most likely better A levels first time round. I know they don't count psychology and I doubt they count PE towards anything, but I have a lot of extra-curricular I suppose? I'm not sure.

I know they lowered the grades to A*AA. And I will phone them up tomorrow, thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the advice, I'm just a bit weary that I'm up against people who already have degrees/ all A*'s at GCSE and most likely better A levels first time round. I know they don't count psychology and I doubt they count PE towards anything, but I have a lot of extra-curricular I suppose? I'm not sure.

I know they lowered the grades to A*AA. And I will phone them up tomorrow, thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry too much about gcse. They only look at gcse grades in a contextual basis, meaning your performance against average/typical performance of school background you were in).

As for your A-level choice, they will not discount psychology but perhaps won't regard it as highly as more traditional academic subjects. As you said not sure how they would look at PE being one of your 3 A-levels, rather than having (at least) 3 academic subjects which is typical for applicants for Cambridge. For vet med, they'd expect you to have at least 2 traditional science A-levels.

Unfortunately, they are not interested in extra-curricular at all unless it's something that's related to the subject you're applying for.
What they are interested in and value is super-curricular, which is 'extra-curricular' that's related to the subjects . It doesn't have to be anything fancy or special. Just a lot of reading around the subject is good enough.

Can I ask why you are thinking of applying to Cambridge for vet med? If you want to be a researcher/ to pursue an academic route in vet med, Cambridge is probably one of the best places in uk, but if you want to be a practicing vet, there're many other vet med schools that would train you very, very well for that purpose. (In some cases, much better than Cambridge, esp. in practical training)
Some of them may be more lenient and accommodating for the kind of academic records/background you have and may value a good range of extra-curricular you have.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi all,

GCSE's:
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
Geography- A*
PE-A*
Biology- A
Spanish- A
Maths- A

AS levels
Business- A

Biology-A*
Psychology- A*
PE- A*

A level predictions 2018
Chemistry- A/A*
Physics- A/A*

As predictions 2018
Maths- A

Extra curricular-
Qualified lifeguard

10 weeks kennels
1 week small vet
2 weeks dairy
2 weeks lambing
1 week pig farm
3 weeks projects abroad
1 week equine

Hi Sammy,

I'm in a similar position to you. I'm a mature student and am currently studying for A Level Chemistry, Biology and Maths, as well as GCSE Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm self educating, rather than taking a distance learning course. I'm just at the start of my journey but I'm hoping that I'll be able to sit the exams in time for 2018 entry, although I realise how much of an undertaking that is. I am also looking at Cambridge as I'm particularly interested in research and it happens to be only a 15 minute drive from my home. Royal Vet is my second choice.

In hope of putting your mind at ease, from what I have read Cambridge is happy to accept a small number of resits and they do not have a minimum GCSE requirement as they believe that A Levels are a far better indicator of performance than GCSE. The entry requirement for Cambridge Vet Med is A* (Chem) A A, with the remaining two ideally needing to be in either Maths, Biology or Physics. The minimum entry requirement is only two science / maths based A Levels (of the minimum requirement for three or more A levels) but those with three or more science / maths based A Level stand a better chance. Cambridge will not typically accept Access to HE or other qualifications for vet med. Cambridge do not require you to have substantial work experience and recommend a minimum of only two weeks clinical training. Have a read through the Cambridge Vet School application page as this should clear it up for you.

By contrast, Royal Vet do not require an A* grade and instead the minimum entry is AAA. However, they DO have a minimum GCSE requirement of at least 5 GCSEs at grade A. They DO hold it against you if you do not obtain the required grades on your second resit. However, Royal Vet will also accept Access to HE in Science courses in place of A Levels (assuming the equivalent grade is achieved), as well as a few other animal management or related science courses.

From what I understand, Cambridge is based more on theory than the practical, which is reflected in Cambridge's requirement for A* Chemistry and the fact that they do not favour practical and less academic courses for entry.

In your situation, I would focus on obtaining decent results for A Level Chemistry, Biology and Maths, as I believe that this will put you in good running for entry into Cambridge vet school. It’s important to note that Cambridge do not consider exam predictions. As for your concerns over your GCSE grades, despite the fact that Cambridge do not have a minimum requirement for GCSE, if you are particularly concerned then I do not see any reason why you could not use your knowledge obtained from A Level study to sit a handful of GCSE exams. In fact, I would recommend doing so as this will open doors for you at Royal Vet. Just be careful not to prioritise your GCSE grades over obtaining decent A level grades.

I couldn't tell you what my predictions are as I have been out of formal education for many years and I was not a very disciplined student at school. However, I'm aiming high and intend to hire the best tutors, specifically Cambridge graduates.

I'd be happy to connect with you and we can share resources, if you like?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mvictor
Cambridge is happy to accept resits
The minimum entry requirement is only two A Levels

They will typically accept 1 or 2 *module* resits but not more unless there are extenuating circumstances. Although perhaps being mature counts as an EC...?

And where did you read they would accept only 2 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
They will typically accept 1 or 2 *module* resits but not more unless there are extenuating circumstances. Although perhaps being mature counts as an EC...?

And where did you read they would accept only 2 A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, that was meant to say a minimum of two science / maths based A Levels (of the three A Levels required) but most candidates will offer three or more Science / Maths A Levels. The typical conditional offer is A*AA. Cambridge states the following for Vet Med: "A Levels in Chemistry and one of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. Most applicants have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this and/or particular subjects. See individual College websites for details. Please note that in the past three admissions rounds, 96 per cent of applicants for Veterinary Medicine offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 36 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the four per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, 18 per cent were successful in gaining a place."

As for resits, Cambridge does not look favourably upon multiple resits but they will consider your case. I'd assume that being a mature student, having a disability or having experienced a particular set back would be an extenuating circumstance that would lead to consideration. By contrast, RVC do not readily welcome resists and require you to have achieved the required AAA grade by the second sitting. I wouldn't have expected RVC to be all that exclusive of resits considering they will welcome applicants from Access to HE and animal management courses.

From what I have read, it seems that Cambridge is geared more toward those who have a particular drive to succeed academically, rather than merely those from 'good stock'. They do reserve places for mature students and have a number of colleges specifically for mature students. I suspect that mature students, unless post grad, are likely to be those with less traditional qualifications or less favourable academic backgrounds prior to obtaining the entry requirements but who have the drive and experience to succeed. Don't quote me on that, it's just my feeling!

Now as for BMAT, Royal Vet do not require it for entry into Vet Med. However, Cambridge do require all applicants to undertake the Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment, which replaces the BMAT. The only students who are not required to take the NSAA / BMAT are those aged 21+ at the start of the course (mature students) but they may be required to take a test at interview.
Reply 7
Original post by mvictor
Sorry, that was meant to say a minimum of two science / maths based A Levels (of the three A Levels required).

Indeed :smile:

Maybe edit your previous post acccordly :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Indeed :smile:

Maybe edit your previous post acccordly :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done. Hopefully that has cleared up any confusion? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mvictor
Hi Sammy,

I'm in a similar position to you. I'm a mature student and am currently studying for A Level Chemistry, Biology and Maths, as well as GCSE Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I'm self educating, rather than taking a distance learning course. I'm just at the start of my journey but I'm hoping that I'll be able to sit the exams in time for 2018 entry, although I realise how much of an undertaking that is. I am also looking at Cambridge as I'm particularly interested in research and it happens to be only a 15 minute drive from my home. Royal Vet is my second choice.

In hope of putting your mind at ease, from what I have read Cambridge is happy to accept a small number of resits and they do not have a minimum GCSE requirement as they believe that A Levels are a far better indicator of performance than GCSE. The entry requirement for Cambridge Vet Med is A* (Chem) A A, with the remaining two ideally needing to be in either Maths, Biology or Physics. The minimum entry requirement is only two science / maths based A Levels (of the minimum requirement for three or more A levels) but those with three or more science / maths based A Level stand a better chance. Cambridge will not typically accept Access to HE or other qualifications for vet med. Cambridge do not require you to have substantial work experience and recommend a minimum of only two weeks clinical training. Have a read through the Cambridge Vet School application page as this should clear it up for you.

By contrast, Royal Vet do not require an A* grade and instead the minimum entry is AAA. However, they DO have a minimum GCSE requirement of at least 5 GCSEs at grade A. They DO hold it against you if you do not obtain the required grades on your second resit. However, Royal Vet will also accept Access to HE in Science courses in place of A Levels (assuming the equivalent grade is achieved), as well as a few other animal management or related science courses.

From what I understand, Cambridge is based more on theory than the practical, which is reflected in Cambridge's requirement for A* Chemistry and the fact that they do not favour practical and less academic courses for entry.

In your situation, I would focus on obtaining decent results for A Level Chemistry, Biology and Maths, as I believe that this will put you in good running for entry into Cambridge vet school. It’s important to note that Cambridge do not consider exam predictions. As for your concerns over your GCSE grades, despite the fact that Cambridge do not have a minimum requirement for GCSE, if you are particularly concerned then I do not see any reason why you could not use your knowledge obtained from A Level study to sit a handful of GCSE exams. In fact, I would recommend doing so as this will open doors for you at Royal Vet. Just be careful not to prioritise your GCSE grades over obtaining decent A level grades.

I couldn't tell you what my predictions are as I have been out of formal education for many years and I was not a very disciplined student at school. However, I'm aiming high and intend to hire the best tutors, specifically Cambridge graduates.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

Yes I have gone through all the details on Cambridge and I know the entry requirements. Can I clear up that I am not resitting A levels but otherwise taking up NEW A levels. This would be condensing the two year course in one.

If I was to resist English I would need to declare my B on my UCAS as English language is a necessity to state. is this correct? I'm not sure how I state I am resitting it even if I didn't fail the first time? I saw that they grade candidates on GCSE's and I feel I may fall here.

Yes, Cambridge is research driven as opposed to practical based...which is what I prefer. Perhaps if I obtain my 3A*'s this year (unfortunatly in PE, psychology and biology) it may look convincing? I understand PE and psychology is not looked upon.

Yes I've looked at the Admissions test and that is something I need to work on; especially maths. I will only be doing AS maths next year. To do 3x 2 year courses condensed in 1 year I feel would be too much. Maths is something I do struggle on a little bit. Maybe if I get a maths tutor over the summer, maybe I could do the A level? It seems far fetched to me but if it means it'll give me an advantage for Cambridge, then I would honestly work my socks off for it.

And RVC would be my second choice too- it is also very close to me!!!

I want to apply for a 'summer vet med school' that is residential. I know this is competitive however all the camps in the U.K. take place while I am away on my world challenge. Do you know any that takes place after August 5th or onwards?? Anywhere is Europe I can do... I've searched everywhere! I feel this may give me an advantage on application.

And yes I do read extra in my spare time. I'm very interested in sports science (hence why I applied this year but don't want a career in it) so I go to lecture series at Loughborough university. (3 years consecutively). In terms of medicine, I go to my schools lectures that they hold. This is normally by proffesors from durham uni.

I'm not sure what else I can do to impress them?! Help!

In terms of sharing revision- do you do AQA biology? I can't help with chemistry and physics nor maths just yet. And will you be sitting biology this year? I do love biology and explaining things to other people (even if it is typing) helps my revision. If you want to share revision notes just give me a shout :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by mvictor
Done. Hopefully that has cleared up any confusion? :smile:

May I ask what you study as an undergrad and where else you are applying?

Also, as a private candidate, how are you doing your practical assements?

I considered private as I am in my last year in sixth form but I decided I was better off moving to a new school that will provide me with predictions, tutoring and my practical work.
Reply 11
Sammy,

I'm at the very start of studying for my A Levels and cannot offer you any advice based on experience, only research. I'll be sitting my exams with local colleges / sixth form schools and using the relevant course specifications and materials required for whichever exam board I use. The practical is what I am currently scratching my head over. I know it is possible to pay to have this done as a private candidate but the fee is very high (in the region of £800+ per practical) so I am looking to see what my options are.

Back to you. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much if I were in your situation. You clearly have the ability to achieve high grades. If I were you, I would drop psychology and PE and focus on obtaining Chemistry and Maths or Physics, simply because I would want to give myself as much time to focus on obtaining the right grades for the course as possible. I could be wrong but I suspect Cambridge would not mind if you drop a practical A Level in favour of an academic one, if it means that you are able to obtain a very high grade, which you may otherwise struggle with a full work load. However, if what you are suggesting is that you'll complete your current A Levels and take Chem and Maths / Physics in your gap year and you feel that you have the time and support needed to achieve A*, I wouldn't worry at all. I don't imagine that they'll look down on you for having taken that route and I suspect it will demonstrate your maturity and dedication. As others have said you will need to discuss your concerns with Cambridge but from what their website states, your GCSE result will not hinder you if you excel at A Level, but as suggested, you could simply sit the exams during the next year.

May I ask, are you currently based near Cambridge or would you look to relocate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hi,

Thanks for the advice however I think I will sit my PE and psychology exam purely because I have done 2 years work on it and my exams are so close. It means I can use my back up of sports science if I am rejected for vet med anyway.

I Will get a private tutor for the summer in terms of maths and chemistry- maths is very much a weak point for me.

I rather not say where I am located but I attend boarding school and live Around 40 mins from RVC. I was also going to apply to Surrey, Nottingham and Bristol (if I didn't choose Cambridge.) what will your 5th choice be? I don't know if I should go for vet nursing or something else...

The school I am attending next year is a small private school. The practical endorsements are the exact reason why I backed out as a private candidate- I rather pay school fees and get both the teaching support and endorsements. However yes, my parents are paying for this and I am very lucky that they are! I wouldn't be able to otherwise!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
If I was to resist English I would need to declare my B on my UCAS as English language is a necessity to state. is this correct? I'm not sure how I state I am resitting it even if I didn't fail the first time? I saw that they grade candidates on GCSE's and I feel I may fall here.

Yes you would have to declare any prior grades if you resit. And there is no need or point in resitting English. Your B is fine. Your A-level performance and the NSAA will be much more important than GCSEs.

Regarding super-curriculars, I would caution you about the summer school. The work experience you have is much more useful and "impressive" than paying a significant fee for a summer school.

I suggest you also ask the experts in the Vet Med forum about super-curriculars, etc.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=196
Reply 14
That is understandable 😊

I'll likely put bio veterinary science as my other option. I'm not interested in a vet nursing degree. I'm only looking to go through university to become a vet and develop a career in research and welfare reforms. If I don't get into vet school, I'll continue working.

As for your location, that's fine, I was just wondering if you're in the same area as me as it would be useful to share resources that are relevant to the area. I'm in Cambridgeshire.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by mvictor
That is understandable 😊

I'll likely put bio veterinary science as my other option. I'm not interested in a vet nursing degree. I'm only looking to go through university to become a vet and develop a career in research and welfare reforms. If I don't get into vet school, I'll continue working.

As for your location, that's fine, I was just wondering if you're in the same area as me as it would be useful to share resources that are relevant to the area. I'm in Cambridgeshire.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Haha, unfortunatly I'm in the opposite direction to you in relation to RVC.

I was thinking that too about my 5th choice! Good luck to your studies (you have more work to do than me, and even I'm stressed! 😫)

If you ever want some biology revision notes or answers just PM- especially if you do AQA (we do essays)

Fingers crossed for next year 😃
Original post by mvictor
Hi Sammy,

Hi, just wondering how you found out that Cam require A* in chemistry A level specifically? I didn't come across that on the website
Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by harrison_t
Hi, just wondering how you found out that Cam require A* in chemistry A level specifically? I didn't come across that on the website
Thanks

Was thinking that too. Don't think I could get the A* in Chem like but I can for bio.
Reply 18
Original post by harrison_t
Thanks

Was thinking that too. Don't think I could get the A* in Chem like but I can for bio.

Yup, it's not a stated requirement. But it's quite possible for colleges to specify which subject needs the A* and Chemistry would be a likely candidate...

Note that previous years had A*A*A typical offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending