The Student Room Group

MSc Finance at UCL

Hi. I'm a final year undergrad doing my Bachelors in Economics at University of Delhi, India.

I've applied to the MSc Finance at UCL and got a reply from them yesterday (after 6 weeks) asking me to take a math test.

I took the test today (and even though they said no prep required, it wasn't very straightforward. Even though I had studied all the topics in high school, I was out of practice) and relied heavily on the internet to solve the 10 questions. Any idea how long before I can expect to hear back from them about whether or not I have made it to the interview stage? How likely are they to ask math related questions on the interview (I think they would most likely).

If anyone here has been offered a place on the program, what other type of questions do they ask on the interview?

I was unsuccessful in securing a place on MSc Finance at LSE (my dream school) and Imperial but have an offer from QMUL. So between QM and UCL which of the two is better? The course outline for both seems pretty solid to me. UCL is more recognised globally than QM, but there aren't any ratings/rankings available for the UCL program whereas QM is rated amongst the top 25 for MSc Finance pre-exp. What are your suggestions between the two?

Scroll to see replies

UCL is better.
For which programs did you apply at Imperial?
Reply 2
Original post by Alfionitti
UCL is better.
For which programs did you apply at Imperial?

MSc Finance
Original post by dev.d
MSc Finance

Why didn't you apply also for the other finance masters? like investments management nad finance&accounting? the programs are very similar and they are more accessible
Reply 4
You know there never really is a solid response to a question like that. Now in retrospect maybe I should have applied. No point crying over spilt milk...
Original post by dev.d
You know there never really is a solid response to a question like that. Now in retrospect maybe I should have applied. No point crying over spilt milk...

you would be right if it were too late to apply :wink: no?
Reply 6
Original post by Alfionitti
you would be right if it were too late to apply :wink: no?

True, but getting recommendations is a pain in the back. It was tough enough getting them earlier, unlikely that i'll get academic ones now. I can easily get those from my internships but they do need academic ones so... My best bet is getting through UCL now.

What are you (planning on) doing?
Reply 7
what were the questions on the test? ive got to do it this week
Reply 8
Original post by flacko123
what were the questions on the test? ive got to do it this week

10 questions, 1 hour timed test.
Questions comprised integration, sets, solution of system of linear equations using matrices, differentiation (minima-maxima). Would strongly suggest you practice for 4-5 days and brush up on these + some more maths topics (trigonometry maybe) and do the test on day 6.
All the best!
Reply 9
do they check your working or do you just type in answers
Reply 10
Original post by flacko123
do they check your working or do you just type in answers

MCQs with 4 options
Reply 11
Original post by dev.d
Hi. I'm a final year undergrad doing my Bachelors in Economics at University of Delhi, India.

I've applied to the MSc Finance at UCL and got a reply from them yesterday (after 6 weeks) asking me to take a math test.

I took the test today (and even though they said no prep required, it wasn't very straightforward. Even though I had studied all the topics in high school, I was out of practice) and relied heavily on the internet to solve the 10 questions. Any idea how long before I can expect to hear back from them about whether or not I have made it to the interview stage? How likely are they to ask math related questions on the interview (I think they would most likely).

If anyone here has been offered a place on the program, what other type of questions do they ask on the interview?

I was unsuccessful in securing a place on MSc Finance at LSE (my dream school) and Imperial but have an offer from QMUL. So between QM and UCL which of the two is better? The course outline for both seems pretty solid to me. UCL is more recognised globally than QM, but there aren't any ratings/rankings available for the UCL program whereas QM is rated amongst the top 25 for MSc Finance pre-exp. What are your suggestions between the two?

Hi. What kind of topics did you get on the test? I have to do it this week and was just wondering if everyone got the same topics
Reply 12
Original post by Margo.z
Hi. What kind of topics did you get on the test? I have to do it this week and was just wondering if everyone got the same topics

Original post by dev.d
10 questions, 1 hour timed test.
Questions comprised integration, sets, solution of system of linear equations using matrices, differentiation (minima-maxima). Would strongly suggest you practice for 4-5 days and brush up on these + some more maths topics (trigonometry maybe) and do the test on day 6.
All the best!

Refer to this^
Reply 13
Original post by dev.d
Refer to this^

Hey thanks I have read your post before its just I thought maybe not everyone got the same topics. What was the question like, could you give me an example?
Reply 14
Original post by dev.d

Hey, hope you're alright. Did you hear back from them after the test? if yes, how was the interview? what type of questions.
Has anybody heard after doing the maths test or know how long till they contact you ?
Just got an email to the online interview, anyone done it yet, what can i expect ?
Reply 17
When did you give the maths test?
Reply 18
Original post by paul.pulickal
Just got an email to the online interview, anyone done it yet, what can i expect ?

Can you please tell me about your qualifications and experience?
Original post by paul.pulickal

How was your interview? Were the questions related to the modules or your background?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending