The Student Room Group

help with a tart

Ok, I used to own a game called final fantasy xv. whilst that got tonnes of focus for stuff like gameplay and graphics, there is 1 aspect that is of interest to foodies: the food.

quite surprisingly the makers of the game havent released a cookbook ( whereas guys behind warcraft have) and there has been an interesting dessert in game called a memory lane pastry that I have been dying to make

after playing the game, as well as watching the anime prequel, I have determined it is somehow a cross of a patel de nata (portugese custard tart) and a bakewell tart.

the dough is essentially a puff pastry dough (which I will attempt to make from scratch on thursday or friday) and the filling is a mixed berry layer (which contains strawberry, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries - the layer I made substituted rasberry and blackberry with red grapes and tastes nice) and the layer on top of that is essentially a baked banana and sweet potato custard.

regarding the custard however, should I try aiming for a creme brulee/ caramel pudding type consistency or try and make it like a frangipan. help would be appreaciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
I want jam tarts :cry2:
Original post by Eternalflames
I want jam tarts :cry2:

theyre surprisingly easy to make (and vegetarian friendly - vegan not so much as it contains butter and can contain egg yolks).

today I made jam for the 1st time (for the above recipe) and it was surprisingly easy. literally caramelise sugar in a pan, add fruit, simmer and let cool down.

If you want, you could add a layer of custard underneath for a more french feel
Original post by quasa
theyre surprisingly easy to make (and vegetarian friendly - vegan not so much as it contains butter and can contain egg yolks).

today I made jam for the 1st time (for the above recipe) and it was surprisingly easy. literally caramelise sugar in a pan, add fruit, simmer and let cool down.

If you want, you could add a layer of custard underneath for a more french feel

Ahh right. I don't bake at uni or much at home either, but I'll give it a try :smile:
Original post by Eternalflames
Ahh right. I don't bake at uni or much at home either, but I'll give it a try :smile:

the jam you can make in like 10 minutes tbh (just make sure you wash fruit beforehand and dont add too much sugar). in fact with jam, it goes nice with yoghurt (the mixed fruit one I made today went surprisingly nicely with a 0% yoghurt I had at home and am planning on having it for breakfast tomorrow).

the tart base, to save time, get readymade puff or shortcrust pastry, line a muffin / cupcake mould with it and blind bake it (ie bake it with a bag of lentils in the mould on top of the crust to not get a soggy bottom or any leakages from the jam / other filling).
Original post by quasa
Ok, I used to own a game called final fantasy xv. whilst that got tonnes of focus for stuff like gameplay and graphics, there is 1 aspect that is of interest to foodies: the food.

quite surprisingly the makers of the game havent released a cookbook ( whereas guys behind warcraft have) and there has been an interesting dessert in game called a memory lane pastry that I have been dying to make

after playing the game, as well as watching the anime prequel, I have determined it is somehow a cross of a patel de nata (portugese custard tart) and a bakewell tart.

the dough is essentially a puff pastry dough (which I will attempt to make from scratch on thursday or friday) and the filling is a mixed berry layer (which contains strawberry, blueberries, blackberries and rasberries - the layer I made substituted rasberry and blackberry with red grapes and tastes nice) and the layer on top of that is essentially a baked banana and sweet potato custard.

regarding the custard however, should I try aiming for a creme brulee/ caramel pudding type consistency or try and make it like a frangipan. help would be appreaciated.

So they have sold them in th Square Enix cafe

https://medium.com/@pumpkinfield/review-square-enix-cafes-memory-lane-pastry-from-final-fantasy-xv-9482d80f34d9#.ozgf3oord

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5mebuh/i_made_the_memory_lane_pastry_aka_noctiss/

Theres an attempted recipe here
http://www.pressstarttocook.com/memory-lane-pastry/

Like what you are doing. I watched the anime but not played the game.
My friend has the WOW cookbook.
Original post by quasa
the jam you can make in like 10 minutes tbh (just make sure you wash fruit beforehand and dont add too much sugar). in fact with jam, it goes nice with yoghurt (the mixed fruit one I made today went surprisingly nicely with a 0% yoghurt I had at home and am planning on having it for breakfast tomorrow).

the tart base, to save time, get readymade puff or shortcrust pastry, line a muffin / cupcake mould with it and blind bake it (ie bake it with a bag of lentils in the mould on top of the crust to not get a soggy bottom or any leakages from the jam / other filling).

That sounds so good! Thanks for the recipes :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
So they have sold them in th Square Enix cafe

https://medium.com/@pumpkinfield/review-square-enix-cafes-memory-lane-pastry-from-final-fantasy-xv-9482d80f34d9#.ozgf3oord

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/5mebuh/i_made_the_memory_lane_pastry_aka_noctiss/

Theres an attempted recipe here
http://www.pressstarttocook.com/memory-lane-pastry/

Like what you are doing. I watched the anime but not played the game.
My friend has the WOW cookbook.

cheers dude. yh, the reddit one seems the most interesting to me.
the square enix 1 tbh looks like a cheap manufactured generic bakewell, except it has blueberries.

the presstart one looks rubbish in honesty and the person has definitely made something unique (in a bad way).

the way I am doing it is that I am making the pastry from a patisserie book (healthier and better than storebought if goes to plan). the jam/compote I am using a generic 1:1:1:1 for fruit and sugar (equal portions of fruit; sugar weight same as 1 portion of fruit).Ideally I would have loved to have used blackberries but couldnt find any so just used strawberries, blueberries and red grapes for the fruit

the custard is the tricky one for me as in game it has sweet potato. in the anime it also has banana so it has banana and sweet potato. the fact the anime describe the custard layer as soft rather than cakey. I am stuck however thinking about how to incorporate both incredents into a creme brulee type custard. do I just plop them in or do I do substitutions :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa
cheers dude. yh, the reddit one seems the most interesting to me.

the square enix 1 tbh looks like a cheap manufactured generic bakewell, except it has blueberries.

the presstart one looks rubbish in honesty and the person has definitely made something unique (in a bad way).

Thats why I gave you all three. You just have to keep researching.

The internet means someone somewhere will have tried. There are interesting photos to give you an idea.
Thats why I gave you all three. You just have to keep researching.

The internet means someone somewhere will have tried. There are interesting photos to give you an idea.

I edited the statement above yours to show what I am doing /planning to do.
Original post by quasa
I edited the statement above yours to show what I am doing /planning to do.

He has tried making everything.

[video="youtube;66rxXGEIIaw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rxXGEIIaw[/video]
He has tried making everything.

[video="youtube;66rxXGEIIaw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rxXGEIIaw[/video]

Yh, i saw the dude's video. the pastry im using would be different as well as the custard. but otherwise good idea.
I'd do a shortcrust pastry because the picture you've posted looks like shortcrust to me plus it will probably be easier and support the tart better. A nice flaky one though, with a ratio of more fat than flour and blind baked obviously.

For the fruit part I'd keep it quite sharp to contrast the sweetness of the custard. You could probably use frozen blackberries if you can't find fresh?

For the custard I'd take inspiration from pumpkin pie recipes. Pumpkin pie filling is essentially a baked custard with pureed pumpkin. I'd use a recipe for that but replace the pumpkin with roasted and mashed (in fact through a ricer would probably be best) sweet potato. They're both sweetish root veg so hopefully would work quite well. Not sure how to use the banana, I guess the options would be either mashed into the custard or sliced and placed as a layer either between the mixed berries and custard or on top of the custard. The mashed in version seems to fit the photo together but can't imagine how it would taste, not sure if sweet potato and banana would go well together. Plus it would make the custard wetter which might cause problems getting it to set.

This is a fun challenge, come back and update us with photos when you've done it :biggrin:
Ok, the tarts are almost done. I took on some advice from @RainMakesWhisky and decided to use a shortcrust.

todat was a day of many 1sts: 1st time i havr made a tart, 1st time Ihaver made custard, 1st time i have made or usedshortcrust pastry, 1st time cooking withsweet potato.

strictly speaking, making the ingredients was easy but the shortcrust shrunk massively and took too long to cook. Despite that, I did what incould nd will post the results in the next 72 hours
(edited 7 years ago)
tada (apologies for the crap res / lighting - my 1020 was being charged at the time so used whatever camera I had). also some of the crust broke off when I cut into it which is why some of it looks a bit crooked.

overall, it wasnt bad considering it was the 1st time I have ever done, well most of the processes and havent cooked with any of the ingredients in the past minus flour, sugar and bananas. the taste was much better than I expected and it got wolfed down by me and my mum within 24 hours (I made 9 pastries). the fruit jam/compote worked well in the tart and completemented the banana/sweet potato baked custard. the jam didnt have any blackberries (I find them too sour, although nowhere near as bad as other berries) so used strawberries, blueberries and red grapes. the shortcrust pastry was surprisingly easy to make by hand and didnt involve any machinery at all.

problems encountered during the bake: 1) should have mashed the sweet potato more as there were chunks in 3 of the 9 tarts. 2) didnt expect shortcrust to shrink so much in the over (despite blind baking with rice). 3) I didnt have much icing sugar at home so had to improvise with what I had. slight problem is that it didnt stay on the pastries so it looks weird.

Ill definitely be attempting this again as it tasted great and have been craving it for the last few days. unfortunately due to pastry containing a lot of butter and custard obviously not being healthy (as well as the sugar involved) itll probably be a once a month type bake. but yeah, hope you enjoy the pics and feel free to post on the forum / message me for more info.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest