The Student Room Group

Nursing Second Degree

Hi,

I just wanted to know, as I have already got a degree (graduated 2016), will I be eligible for any loans and/or grants? I have a place for March intake 2017, so in the 2016/2017 academic year, but don't know whether I could still get anything having previously had loans and grants during my first degree.

Hi

From 2017/18 academic year, new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.

This means they will be eligible for tuition fees(TF) of up to £9250, plus any additional TF increases and the full means tested maintenance loan. They will also be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Grants for Dependents.

Please be assured that you will be able to borrow as much as you need to pay for your tuition fees up to a maximum of £9250.

Courses designated as NHS courses will remain as Equivalent Level Qualification exception courses. This means students who already hold a degree or previous study can still access the full package of funding, this includes the full means tested support and a tuition fee loan.

Thanks
Original post by Elizabeth SFE
Hi

From 2017/18 academic year, new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.

This means they will be eligible for tuition fees(TF) of up to £9250, plus any additional TF increases and the full means tested maintenance loan. They will also be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Grants for Dependents.

Please be assured that you will be able to borrow as much as you need to pay for your tuition fees up to a maximum of £9250.

Courses designated as NHS courses will remain as Equivalent Level Qualification exception courses. This means students who already hold a degree or previous study can still access the full package of funding, this includes the full means tested support and a tuition fee loan.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Elizabeth, but I am in the March intake this year, which means I am still covered by the NHS paying my fees and bursary. I just wanted to know whether I could get any more support from student finance considering I have already took loans and grants out during my first degree.
Hi Moment 4 life

Good news, if your course is funded by the NHS then you can apply for the reduced rate maintenance loan from ourselves as the NHS courses are classed as exceptions. This means you can still apply for funding if you already hold a degree.

If you wish to apply please ensure you apply for the 2016/2017 academic year: http://bit.ly/1aDGvAl

Thanks
Hi SFE,
I just got my student finance letter today notifying me that I am not eligible for tuition fee loan because I am taking nursing as a second degree. Is this correct? The latest information (27th January) I found on the Department of Health's websites states that nursing is exempt from the second degree rule. I would really appreciate your response.
Thanks
Original post by Priesthood
Hi SFE,
I just got my student finance letter today notifying me that I am not eligible for tuition fee loan because I am taking nursing as a second degree. Is this correct? The latest information (27th January) I found on the Department of Health's websites states that nursing is exempt from the second degree rule. I would really appreciate your response.
Thanks

Hi,

When does your course start? Also is it a NHS designated course?

Thanks.
Can you get funded for nursing if you’ve used 4 years of funding but never completed your degree?
Original post by Karenlucyor
Can you get funded for nursing if you’ve used 4 years of funding but never completed your degree?

Hi Karen,

Nursing and midwifery courses are exception courses and we don't take previous study into consideration, therefore you can apply for funding, the quickest and easy way to apply is online.

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending