The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

How lenient are Southampton on offers ?

Hello TSR,
I've just been offered a conditional place at Southampton for Geography (AAA), woo ! My favorite uni of the 5 choices, however....
Lets say if I was to get AAB, would I be considered or would that be end of that ?
This is because I feel I am much more likely to get AAB than AAA and do not want to firm it and waste my firm choice.
Any experience of leniency would be super helpful,
Thank you,
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well done for the offer !! :biggrin:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I agree with you, it is.
But use it as motivation and you will succeed ^-^
Reply 3
Well done! I've got an offer on Astronautics with Spacecraft Engineering and I'm feeling the pressure too D: I'm really hoping they'd be less strict about getting the grades because of the new Alevel system
Reply 4
Yeah:h: is Southampton your first choice?
How sure are you of getting what you need for the university that would be your insurance choice? If you are sure, then you're not 'wasting' your firm choice, just having a go for your favorite. Good luck.
Reply 6
Same:smile: Southampton and Surrey will be my firm choices if my mocks are good, if not, it'd be Nottingham and Queen Mary.
I got an offer at Southampton for AAB/ABB and got ABD and still got in!
Reply 8
Original post by CherryPoppins
I got an offer at Southampton for AAB/ABB and got ABD and still got in!

Wow that's amazing! Which course did you apply for?
Original post by janec98
Wow that's amazing! Which course did you apply for?

politics

my advice to anyone applying for uni is to aim for unis you think you can't get into because you never know. i didn't think i could get into southampton but still applied there and here i am now in my second year

good luck
Original post by CherryPoppins
politics

my advice to anyone applying for uni is to aim for unis you think you can't get into because you never know. i didn't think i could get into southampton but still applied there and here i am now in my second year

good luck

Nice one!
Btw did you have any extenuating circumstances?
(edited 7 years ago)
Well done! Go for your dream.

What does your offer email say? My son's says:
Offer Email
If, once you have your results, you find that you have narrowly missed our offer (for example by an A level grade) do not panic. In most years we are able to confirm places to some applicants in this position. We always give priority for any such places to those who make Southampton their firm choice.
That seems like a reasonable position for the university, as it's easier for them to estimate the offers that they can make when they're a candidate's firm choice. Personally, I'd firm your top choice - they gave you an offer and it's what you really want, so go for it! Your insurance (and / or clearing) are still there.
If I remember correctly, on results day 2016 a lot of courses (excluding ones like electrical/aerospace engineering) went down by 2 grades in clearing. For example, the course I'm on, MChem with Maths went from AAB to BBB. I think something like ~320/360 courses here ended up in clearing.

That's not to guarantee you'll get into an AAA course with AAB but this is simply my observations and personal experience with Southampton.
Reply 14
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Hi mate

Geography (both BA and BSc) went into clearing in 2016 last year and the grades dropped from AAB to BBB
I know they've risen their requirements from AAB to AAA this year, but you've got fantastic chances of getting in with AAB.
My friend who's in 3rd year now got in with ABB with an AAB offer. It really varies and uni's like to dish out higher offers to look better with the intentions of taking in much lower requirements

Hope that helps bud, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
How did you guys find the accommodation day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending