The Student Room Group

Maths 😭😶🔫

Im a pre nursing student in Ireland And i want to study adult nursing in England but maths seem to be an issue with some universities, is there any universities that will give me a maths test to do so i can apply to them?
As far as I'm aware a literacy and numeracy exam are NMC requirements for all applicants - it's not so much the uni who wants to do them, but the NMC who says they need to test all students. I'm not certain there are any unis who would accept students without having had their numeracy exam first but I could be wrong.
Do does this mean you want to study nursing but aren't yet? In which case you aren't pre-anything really.
The NMC require all registrants entering the register as qualified nurses to be competent in both numeracy and literacy.
However, not all universities require applicants to do a maths and English test when applying.
They often just test you throughout the course.
There are plenty of online sample tests that different universities have on their website.
Nhs snap and BBC bitesize are often used by people wanting to brush up their knowledge on the topics.
If you register in a country outside the UK, you're required to provide evidence of the same. Then those from further afield outside the EU have to complete maths and English tests to prove competency before being registered in the UK with the NMC.
There is no way of getting away from it. It's for patient safety and to ensure nurses have a minimum level of competency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Some universities accept maths functional skills, if you can't do another qualification in maths then try this :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hayyz91
Some universities accept maths functional skills, if you can't do another qualification in maths then try this :smile:

What universe do this? I would like to apply to them 😊
Reply 5
Original post by deviant182
Do does this mean you want to study nursing but aren't yet? In which case you aren't pre-anything really.
The NMC require all registrants entering the register as qualified nurses to be competent in both numeracy and literacy.
However, not all universities require applicants to do a maths and English test when applying.
They often just test you throughout the course.
There are plenty of online sample tests that different universities have on their website.
Nhs snap and BBC bitesize are often used by people wanting to brush up their knowledge on the topics.
If you register in a country outside the UK, you're required to provide evidence of the same. Then those from further afield outside the EU have to complete maths and English tests to prove competency before being registered in the UK with the NMC.
There is no way of getting away from it. It's for patient safety and to ensure nurses have a minimum level of competency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your response, what universities would you know to supply a nmc test like I know Wolverhampton doesnt do that they depend on my irish leaving cert which I think is equivalent to the A levels
Reply 6
Original post by Aisosa98
Im a pre nursing student in Ireland And i want to study adult nursing in England but maths seem to be an issue with some universities, is there any universities that will give me a maths test to do so i can apply to them?

Do you mean you have no level 2 maths qualification to apply with? or what do you mean?
Thank you for your response, what universities would you know to supply a nmc test like I know Wolverhampton doesnt do that they depend on my irish leaving cert which I think is equivalent to the A levels

It's not an nmc test.
It's a requirement of the nmc.
How universities do that is up to them

Are you wanting to practice or wanting to know which ones test on admission?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
What universe do this? I would like to apply to them 😊

a lot of universities do that. have a look at the ones you were considering. This year both Birmingham City University and Wolverhampton were happy to accept me with functional skills as i am doing an access to health course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending