The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Accommodation - Official Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I put an application for accommodation in 6 days ago and am currently awaiting an offer. However due to unforeseen circumstances I had previously made 2 different applications and withdrawn them within a day or two of the application. I never received an offer from my previous applications so I just wanted to check and see if that would cause an issue with my offer of accommodation. Also I was wondering if I am guaranteed one of the 6 choices I ranked on the application or if it is possible I will receive an offer for a different accommodation that I did not list. Thanks for your answer in advance!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by getaclucy
Hello, I put an application for accommodation in 6 days ago and am currently awaiting an offer. However due to unforeseen circumstances I had previously made 2 different applications and withdrawn them within a day or two of the application. I never received an offer from my previous applications so I just wanted to check and see if that would cause an issue with my offer of accommodation. Also I was wondering if I am guaranteed one of the 6 choices I ranked on the application or if it is possible I will receive an offer for a different accommodation that I did not list. Thanks for your answer in advance!

Hi @getaclucy :smile:

Applications for 2017/2018 are not opened yet so not sure about your recent application coming to our office. If you DM your Student ID I can check this for you.

We can not guarantee that you will receive an offer for your top 6 choices but if you apply early you are most likely to get one. For students who apply late, closer to the 22nd August deadline it is more likely that they may receive an offer for a hall which was not one of their top choices. It all depends on your preferred halls and whether there are still places available. Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis so applying early is the best advice! :biggrin:

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by University of Glasgow Accommodation
Hi @getaclucy :smile:

Applications for 2017/2018 are not opened yet so not sure about your recent application coming to our office. If you DM your Student ID I can check this for you.

We can not guarantee that you will receive an offer for your top 6 choices but if you apply early you are most likely to get one. For students who apply late, closer to the 22nd August deadline it is more likely that they may receive an offer for a hall which was not one of their top choices. It all depends on your preferred halls and whether there are still places available. Rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis so applying early is the best advice! :biggrin:

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services

Hello

I would like to reapply for University accommodation for my second year, and i am a first year student currently residing in University accommodation.

As the other person was able to get an application in, how do i go about submitting an application before the opening?

Also, if i am not allowed to pursue that action, when we will the Accommodation offers open for the 2017-18 academic year?

Thank You.
Original post by Jimmyjamjames
Hello

I would like to reapply for University accommodation for my second year, and i am a first year student currently residing in University accommodation.

As the other person was able to get an application in, how do i go about submitting an application before the opening?

Also, if i am not allowed to pursue that action, when we will the Accommodation offers open for the 2017-18 academic year?

Thank You.

Hi @Jimmyjamjames,

As said to @getaclucy, applications for 2017/2018 are not opened yet so it is not possible to apply at the moment. Perhaps the application was submitted for the wrong session eg. 2016/2017 or it was for a different accommodation provider.

We aim to have them ready by the end of the month, should be soon! Follow us on social media to get the latest news :smile:

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Reply 124
Hi,
I recently received a conditional offer to study International Business and Entrepreneurship from Adam Smith Business School. I am an international student and am quite confused about 39- vs 52-weeks contract. Under what circumstances would one choose one over the other?
Original post by ky23
Hi,
I recently received a conditional offer to study International Business and Entrepreneurship from Adam Smith Business School. I am an international student and am quite confused about 39- vs 52-weeks contract. Under what circumstances would one choose one over the other?

Hi @ky23,

Great to hear you've got an offer for ASBS! :smile:

These two options are available to postgraduate students as most courses last from September to September.

If your course runs for 12 months and you need to be in Glasgow during the summer period, the 52 week contract will guarantee you accommodation for the whole course.

If your course is shorter or you do not need to be at the University during the summer months, then you might be fine with a 39 week contract.

If you sign a 39 weeks contract and then wish to stay in Glasgow for longer, you can apply for a summer extension, but this is subject to availability and you may need to move to a different room.

It all depends on your course and the work you'll be doing during the summer :biggrin:

Hope the info helps!

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Reply 126
Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your reply. Although my program runs from September 2017 to September 2018, I am unable to find the information on whether or not I would have classes during the summer on the course website or in the email communications I have received. Would you be able to point me in the right direction to find the relevant information?
Hi @ky23,

You may contact [email protected] for more information on your course.

Sandra :smile:
APPLICATIONS FOR 2017/2018 ARE NOW LIVE! :banana:

Apply online at https://onlineapps.accom.gla.ac.uk

Check out UofGLiving and the Accommodation Services website for more information.

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Reply 129
Hi there,
Just wondering if any students from Glasgow itself are ever offered accommodation by the university? I know people who are within easy commuting distance are the last priority but was just wondering if they are allocated rooms if there's some available and everyone else is sorted?
Thanks
When are 2017/18 accommodation applications open?
Original post by 9661
Hi there,
Just wondering if any students from Glasgow itself are ever offered accommodation by the university? I know people who are within easy commuting distance are the last priority but was just wondering if they are allocated rooms if there's some available and everyone else is sorted?
Thanks

Hi @9661 :smile:

We have updated our Admissions Policy for 2017/2018 and students who live within commuting distance to the university are not guaranteed accommodation.

You may apply for accommodation but we may not be able to offer a place. Once all the applicants whose accommodation is guaranteed have been allocated, we will be able to offer any spare rooms if these are available in September.

Original post by h_annah22
When are 2017/18 accommodation applications open?

Hi @h_annah22,

Applications are now live! :biggrin:
You can apply at https://onlineapps.accom.gla.ac.uk

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Reply 132
Anyone applying to accommodation, avoid Murano Student Street Village, it may be cheapest option, but the standard of living is dreadful, Accomodation services are dreadful and are not welcoming in the slightest, these are pictures of my room when I arrived, PS (don't try and delete my post again! :wink: )
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi @Jj9798,

As said in previous correspondence, I am very sorry to see that you had a disappointing experience at Murano Street Student Village.
We are looking forward to meeting you to discuss the issue further.

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
I notice that Kelvinhaugh Gate and Queen Margaret Residence are described as being managed in partnership with Sanctuary Housing Association. Could you tell me please what that means in practice? Do people other than students also live there? Thank you.
Reply 135
Hey there,

I actually applied, received, and accepted my Glasgow offer last school year, but had to defer my entry which means I would be starting in September this year. I know you should apply for accommodation as soon as you accept your offer, but I haven't received an email about it yet. Does that mean that its already to late, or do I just need to wait until the May or results day?

Thanks!
Original post by Highlandlassie
I notice that Kelvinhaugh Gate and Queen Margaret Residence are described as being managed in partnership with Sanctuary Housing Association. Could you tell me please what that means in practice? Do people other than students also live there? Thank you.

Hi @Highlandlassie :smile:

Sanctuary Students manage the accommodation facilities on behalf of the University. They are responsible for the day to day running of the site, eg. cleaning, security, maintenance. All applications and allocations are handled by the University of Glasgow, keeping the role of landlord and responsible for student welfare and the collection of rent.

Our accommodation is exclusively for University of Glasgow students only, so you'll be sharing with your peers :wink:

Original post by Kugerl
Hey there,

I actually applied, received, and accepted my Glasgow offer last school year, but had to defer my entry which means I would be starting in September this year. I know you should apply for accommodation as soon as you accept your offer, but I haven't received an email about it yet. Does that mean that its already to late, or do I just need to wait until the May or results day?

Thanks!

Hi @Kugerl,

If you have accepted an offer, you should be able to apply online at https://onlineapps.accom.gla.ac.uk using your UCAS/GUID number.
Please DM us if you have any problems registering your application.

Regards,
Sandra
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
That's great, thank you.
Reply 138
How much do you have to pay for the deposit?
Is there anywhere I can get help applying for the talent scholarship? I'm really unsure about what to put in the personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending