The Student Room Group

myGCSEscience- is this all you get for free and is it worth paying?

Hello all,

I stumbled upon myGCSEscience.com and it seems like a really cool website!

So I signed up, with the free version, thinking you get all of the videos after reading some reviews.

However, it seems like you can only access 2 or 3 from each topic? Have they changed the website since the reviews I read, or is it just a problem with my computer etc.?

I think my mum will buy the £50 version anyway, as I talked to her and she seemed happy about the website after reading reviews and looking more into it. Was just checking to see if people thought it was worth it?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amberfox264
Hello all,

So I signed up, with the free version, thinking you get all of the videos after reading some reviews.

However, it seems like you can only access 2 or 3 from each topic? Have they changed the website since the reviews I read, or is it just a problem with my computer etc.?

I think my mum will buy the £50 version anyway, as I talked to her and she seemed happy about the website after reading reviews and looking more into it. Was just checking to see if people thought it was worth it?

Thanks

There's a torrent where you can download every single one of the videos but that is illegal lol
Hi,
I sat the 2015 GCSEs for Science, and got AA in Core and Additional Science (even with my extenuating circumstances), which I wouldn't have got without my-GCSEscience's help! Please note however, I just checked their website and it looks like the website has been overhauled by some new people who do the new 1-9 specification, so I cannot verify if they are as good as the previous video-maker. I am now in college working at an A grade in Biology and A/A* in Chemistry, aiming for medicine at Oxford, so I am very grateful for where the videos have got me today.
Best of luck. :smile:
Original post by MemoryMind
Hi,
I sat the 2015 GCSEs for Science, and got AA in Core and Additional Science (even with my extenuating circumstances), which I wouldn't have got without my-GCSEscience's help! Please note however, I just checked their website and it looks like the website has been overhauled by some new people who do the new 1-9 specification, so I cannot verify if they are as good as the previous video-maker. I am now in college working at an A grade in Biology and A/A* in Chemistry, aiming for medicine at Oxford, so I am very grateful for where the videos have got me today.
Best of luck. :smile:

Thank you!
Has anyone used the newest version (9-1)?

:bump:
i only used my gcse science once - we got it in year 11 like 2-3 years ago but I remember finding pretty much all the videos on my gcse science on Youtube and used them...:smile:
Original post by DoyouEden?
There's a torrent where you can download every single one of the videos but that is illegal lol

Is that the 9-1 version?
Hello all,

Thanks

You do have to pay for it. There was once a time, back when I was a GCSE student, the entire collection of videos were free. I'd say it is worth getting it but just be warned, the commentary can be a little boring at times. (Just my opinion.) But it is beneficial and is supportive!
Thank you!

Has anyone used the newest version (9-1)?

:bump:

I'm still trying to get my GCSE science; school isn't helping much as they don't know a thing but I'm not sure about asking my parents to fork out £50. Obviously, my lazy school's science department won't, and the new version came out, so I'm not sure anyone has it yet. The old videos were so so helpful, within two months or less, I achieved a grade A in Chemistry in year 9. Well, Only Biology and Physics to go, I need my GCSE science we have a mock this year too. Lord help me... Go for what you want, it looks really helpful though.
It's annoying how knowledge comes at a price for my generation now. I understand that people need the money, but he used to give the videos free of charge and charge students for the worksheets, etc. Now everything is pricey. And this new change in GCSEs will mean more money for MyGCSE Science, as schools and parents will be desperate for content.

Original post by MissVampire
You do have to pay for it. There was once a time, back when I was a GCSE student, the entire collection of videos were free. I'd say it is worth getting it but just be warned, the commentary can be a little boring at times. (Just my opinion.) But it is beneficial and is supportive!
Original post by princessjoy
It's annoying how knowledge comes at a price for my generation now. I understand that people need the money, but he used to give the videos free of charge and charge students for the worksheets, etc. Now everything is pricey. And this new change in GCSEs will mean more money for MyGCSE Science, as schools and parents will be desperate for content.

It is annoying!

(Blame the government)
It is annoying!

(Blame the government)

:smile: My year and the years after just have to deal with it. But they are petitioning, though.
I don't find the videos that helpful, but for me, the practise exam questions and the mark schemes are more than worth the money
Thank you all!

I personally find science quite interesting and I really wanna do well in it, so I'll take anything that will help! I wanna be a veterinary surgeon so it is crucial I get those A* :wink: (or 8's now)

Also I learn well from videos, more than I do from worksheets alone I would say. I like to have it taught to me rather than teaching myself.

I would much rather pay for the videos than find them illegally, because the man who makes them has put in a lot of effort, I am sure (And I get the worksheets too so added bonus if I pay!)

I have a very similar situation to what you were saying PrincessJoy, where my school is letting me down, so my parents have told me to teach myself if nothing changes :frown: not happy coz why do they get paid if I have to come home and teach it to myself anyway!! >:frown:

Oh well, u gotta do what u gotta do, I guess!

Honestly, I'm such a nerd so I probably won't get tooooo bored- I watch science and GCSE videos in my spare time (ik I'm strange :biggrin:)
Reply 15
There are lots of other options that are free. Try "Get To Know Science" on YouTube; similar style to what you are looking for, but more concise and also completely free. Obviously on YouTube you don't get worksheets, but you could of course use past papers instead.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDMuDscnLfHpgc6MeEdVV5g/videos
Honestly, I'm such a nerd so I probably won't get tooooo bored- I watch science and GCSE videos in my spare time (ik I'm strange :biggrin:)

Nah, you're not strange! Heck, half of the history on my youtube is unexplainable!
I use my-gcsescience. It has helped a lot, biology and chemistry are great, however Physics isn't so good as different person explaining. Bit late now but also freesciencelessons on youtube is also really good and free, also heard the man who runs it is one of chief examiners. Hope this helps.
Reply 18
I found a site called The Science Break that seems to be like the original video maker. And it is cheaper. There is also a YouTube channel so you can see what the videos are like.
Hello all,

Thanks
I thank you guys sincerely for your on-going advice :smile: although I’ve done half my science exams now anyway and I bought the website about a year ago lol. But still, thanks all for chipping in. It’ll probably help others too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest