The Student Room Group

POLL:Should the Burka be banned

Poll

Ban the Burqa

This by no means is a controversial topic, it has made the news many times- particularly when the french decided to ban the Burka in 2011.

http://www.dw.com/en/five-years-into-ban-burqa-divide-widens-in-france/a-19177275

In my opinion there is very little wrong with banning it, every other citizen in the UK shows their faces- my answer to people saying "it's there culture!" is we should outlaw it and if they have any problems with it they can always go to their home nations. For all we know people hiding behind a burqa may do a lot of crimes such as shoplifting, terrorist related acts (stashing bombs in bins.etc) and if they get away with it the CCTV will just show there eyes- not enough to convict someone

Scroll to see replies

A ban on covering the face yes, a ban on covering the hair no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's so offensive about someone covering their face?
Reply 3
i dont really think this is the u.s. a with people who dont understand Muslims because the majority is white.
there is a vivid multi-cultural society in the u.k and most of us actually understand it is for religious reasons and we respect each other. its called diversity. Second, this is a free country and burqa is necessary in Islam. Yes, lots of muslims dont wear it due to peer pressure, western culture, and fear of other stuff, I myself dont. I think no. I don't understand who would say yes. those people are hearless
Original post by CowsRock
i dont really think this is the u.s. a with people who dont understand Muslims because the majority is white.
there is a vivid multi-cultural society in the u.k and most of us actually understand it is for religious reasons and we respect each other. its called diversity. Second, this is a free country and burqa is necessary in Islam. Yes, lots of muslims dont wear it due to peer pressure, western culture, and fear of other stuff, I myself dont. I think no. I don't understand who would say yes. those people are hearless

???
Reply 5
Original post by Hobgoblin Dragon
This by no means is a controversial topic, it has made the news many times- particularly when the french decided to ban the Burka in 2011.

http://www.dw.com/en/five-years-into-ban-burqa-divide-widens-in-france/a-19177275

In my opinion there is very little wrong with banning it, every other citizen in the UK shows their faces- my answer to people saying "it's there culture!" is we should outlaw it and if they have any problems with it they can always go to their home nations. For all we know people hiding behind a burqa may do a lot of crimes such as shoplifting, terrorist related acts (stashing bombs in bins.etc) and if they get away with it the CCTV will just show there eyes- not enough to convict someone

So, you believe in stereotypes?
i hope you learnt your r.e.
sounds like you really hate muslims who wear headscarfs.
people who wear the burqa are the most religious muslims anyways, so your accusations on shoplifting and "terrorists" are very immature.
please learn to respect other faiths.
No. Just............no.
Original post by CowsRock
So, you believe in stereotypes?
i hope you learnt your r.e.
sounds like you really hate muslims who wear headscarfs.
people who wear the burqa are the most religious muslims anyways, so your accusations on shoplifting and "terrorists" are very immature.
please learn to respect other faiths.

Is it part of Western Society? If i went to afghanistan or Iran wearing my christian cross with a poppy i would get shot!
Is it part of Western Society? If i went to afghanistan or Iran wearing my christian cross with a poppy i would get shot!

well, dont you just exude ignorance
The United Kingdom is a Christian Country not an islamic state- multiculturalism has been forced on us by successive governments, if in the 1970's when mass immigration started to be recognisable the government gave us a referendum "Should the United Kingdom have immigration restrictions to keep immigration down to the thousands" it would be a 90 percent yes vote. Go North of London anyone who is over 30 is racist. This Country was free for our own citizens after we defeated Nazi Germany, before muslims lived here in mass numbers. Young people have been brainwashed into Unity through Equal opportunities and the Equality act. We have become a nothing country, sometimes I wonder if it would of been better to have teamed up with Hitler when he asked!

Stop being so melodramatic oh my lord. The new generation has embraced our multi-ethnic, multi-faith society. The younger generation hasn't been brainwashed, we've just grown in an environment where we understand that we're equal regardless of faith, culture, and ethnicity.

"We have become a nothing country" no, we've simply embraced diversity rather than shunning it. Britain is still a majority Christian country, so we haven't lost the religious beliefs.

"I wonder if it would have been better to have teamed up with Hitler when he asked" whether or not that was a joke, it portrays you and your argument in a really negative light if you're saying that teaming up with HITLER, and the outcome of that, would have been better than the society we have today.
Reply 10
The United Kingdom is a Christian Country not an islamic state- multiculturalism has been forced on us by successive governments, if in the 1970's when mass immigration started to be recognisable the government gave us a referendum "Should the United Kingdom have immigration restrictions to keep immigration down to the thousands" it would be a 90 percent yes vote. Go North of London anyone who is over 30 is racist. This Country was free for our own citizens after we defeated Nazi Germany, before muslims lived here in mass numbers. Young people have been brainwashed into Unity through Equal opportunities and the Equality act. We have become a nothing country, sometimes I wonder if it would of been better to have teamed up with Hitler when he asked!

It would've been better if you'd teamed up with Hitler? Hitler? That's a bit too extreme
you know you have a bad argument when you consider teaming up with hitler
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
you know you have a bad argument when you consider teaming up with hitler

Literally!!

Ban it only in banks and shops?
Yes because if i wanted to rob a bank id wear a burka for all the mobility it offers, not like there are balaclavas or anything, assuming a woman is robbing a bank anyway, its mostly a male crime
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cherub012
Ban it only in banks and shops?

Maybe in urban areas too, if a bomb gets put in a local bin, with a timer mechanism on that will blow up innocent people
Maybe in urban areas too, if a bomb gets put in a local bin, with a timer mechanism on that will blow up innocent people

Hmmm I agree...

But why stop there? :ahee:

We should also ban hoodies and winter scarves. They can easily be used to cover your face.
Original post by Cherub012
Hmmm I agree...

But why stop there? :ahee:

We should also ban hoodies and winter scarves. They can easily be used to cover your face.

Yeah but scarfs are not banned in football matches
Honestly, if women in the UK have the right to be scantily-clad, surely they should have the right to wear the burqa as well?

Hitler was a genocidal maniac. If you believe we should have teamed up with Hitler then frankly you do not belong in Britain.

Latest

Trending

Trending