The Student Room Group

Has anyone also not started revision yet?

I'm really stressed and worried about the GCSE exams in May and June and I can't find the motivation to start any revision. Most people in my classes have already started. i have around 14 exams this summer. Have you guys started revision yet?
bruh theres your motivation u have 14 exams in the summer and if you want to have a chance to give yourself the best oppertunities in life START REVISING cuz your leaving it late now
I didn't revise until basically the day before each of the exams. Set yourself a goal, and a reward. "If I get a B then...." or give a console controller or something you value to your mum or dad and tell them not to give it back until you done "an hour of maths"

see if they work for you. But don't get too stressed about it, as then you panic. If you panic revision and recall can sometimes be more difficult.

have lots of chocolate and caffine. :smile:
Original post by hlep
I'm really stressed and worried about the GCSE exams in May and June and I can't find the motivation to start any revision. Most people in my classes have already started. i have around 14 exams this summer. Have you guys started revision yet?

Hey, listen don't get yourself too hyped up. I was in a similar position like you, and what I did was force my parents to force me. That meant that I would get motivated by my parents. It's never too late to start, but the sooner the better. Hope you do well in you exams. 😉😉
Reply 4
I haven't started yet either.. idk what to do
14 different subjects?! Seriously... prioritise them. Maths and English first (though I always thought "revising" English a bit daft. It's more technique than revision)

After that the subjects that matter to you most for any A levels you might be doing. That should get it down to half.
Out of those 14 subjects there must be some you aren't too bothered about with zero interest in doing A level in.
For me Humanities and RE were a waste of lesson periods. But they were mandatory lessons. Total waste of time.
Reply 6
Original post by Darwinion
14 different subjects?! Seriously... prioritise them. Maths and English first (though I always thought "revising" English a bit daft. It's more technique than revision)

After that the subjects that matter to you most for any A levels you might be doing. That should get it down to half.
Out of those 14 subjects there must be some you aren't too bothered about with zero interest in doing A level in.
For me Humanities and RE were a waste of lesson periods. But they were mandatory lessons. Total waste of time.

How do you exactly revise for English Language? That's the only one that I really struggle with.
Original post by hlep

I've got 23 exams and haven't started revising yet. I'm writing notes for things, with my goal to have finished all my notes by the start of Easter holidays. I can then spend those 2 and a half weeks revising stuff.
Original post by hlep
How do you exactly revise for English Language? That's the only one that I really struggle with.

I struggle with English language too. If you do CIE then half of your mark is coursework so as long as you know what kind of mark it is you're fine. Maybe do past papers so you can get technique down? That's what I'm gonna do in Easter (or try to)!
Reply 9
No one but you and your family will care if you fail, your parents will have to half heartedly post on facebook how 'proud' they are of you but all youll be is a disappointment. Whereas everyone will be excited for you if you do well, so many doors and opportunities will open you, your school will value you and the highest achievers will look at you as their intellectual equal. Its not about motivation, your opinion doesnt matter, just get on with it
Original post by nish2910
I struggle with English language too. If you do CIE then half of your mark is coursework so as long as you know what kind of mark it is you're fine. Maybe do past papers so you can get technique down? That's what I'm gonna do in Easter (or try to)!

A level student here so been there done that. Best thing to do for English lang is "spot the technique" so what I did was write down examples of language techniques and writing styles that I knew would come up, write what they were and then get my family to test me on them. So for example:
"I would die of embarrassment if he ever found out" - hyperbole

Worked for me got an A* in the end

But totally get what you mean its a subject near enough impossible to revise for, just wait till you get into the exam and see what comes up
I did zero revision for English language IGCSE. But then again I was 49 years old and a private, independent student. I paid the money for the exam and just turned up on the day and sat the 3 hour IGCSE exam (Edexcel). I relied purely on my life experience and whatever "level" I had achieved in that time for that exam on that particular day.
I got an A*

Yes, I was surprised. I only expected (or hoped) for a C to get a pass.

The point is that technique counts for a lot. And that can come with time or experience. It's unfair for youngsters to have to "force" that on themselves for a certain exam board. So if you are comfortable with English and your course work is fine then don't worry about it. Spend more time on revising other subjects. I had to take the IGCSE as I was unable to do coursework.
(edited 7 years ago)
I haven't started real revision for my A2 exams properly yet neither has alot of people i know but we are leaving it late

Quick Reply

Latest