The Student Room Group

English Close Reading. Anyone can help!

So I am studying Higher English this year and always struggle with writing my close reading answers. I am not sure how to word them.

Whenever a question comes up about word choice, imagery, sentence structure etc. the only way I start my answers is with 'The writer's use of _____ '

This is the only format I know how to use and it doesn't always work best for every type of question.

Even if you are studying National 5 or Adv Higher, if anyone has any ways to format my answers it would be really helpful!

I'm looking for ideal sentence starters on:
1. Word Choice
2. Imagery
3. Sentence Structure
4. Tone
5. Effective Conclusions/Openings
6. Main Ideas in the text etc.

Thankyou!
Original post by FourSeasons
So I am studying Higher English this year and always struggle with writing my close reading answers. I am not sure how to word them.

Whenever a question comes up about word choice, imagery, sentence structure etc. the only way I start my answers is with 'The writer's use of _____ '

This is the only format I know how to use and it doesn't always work best for every type of question.

Even if you are studying National 5 or Adv Higher, if anyone has any ways to format my answers it would be really helpful!

I'm looking for ideal sentence starters on:
1. Word Choice
2. Imagery
3. Sentence Structure
4. Tone
5. Effective Conclusions/Openings
6. Main Ideas in the text etc.

Thankyou!

Hi! I am also studying higher english.

My advice for answering questions is that it is not required to word the "intro" to your answer well, you do not get credit / marks for it.

Here are examples of what I do:

"Goddess" - Word Choice - The writers use of goddess suggests ...
"!" - Sentence Structure - The use of an exclamation mark emphasises...
Throughout the paragraph the downcast tone was shown through...
The writers conclusion links back to ... (almost always first paragraph)

I got a good mark for english last year (around 90% however I got 24/30 for RUAE).

I advise doing close reading practice on the poems you have studied / set texts.

Or try here: https://bearsdeneng.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/higher-close-reading-booklet-1.pdf

Hope it helps! :smile:
Original post by scotlandishtube
Hi! I am also studying higher english.

My advice for answering questions is that it is not required to word the "intro" to your answer well, you do not get credit / marks for it.

Here are examples of what I do:

"Goddess" - Word Choice - The writers use of goddess suggests ...
"!" - Sentence Structure - The use of an exclamation mark emphasises...
Throughout the paragraph the downcast tone was shown through...
The writers conclusion links back to ... (almost always first paragraph)

I got a good mark for english last year (around 90% however I got 24/30 for RUAE).

I advise doing close reading practice on the poems you have studied / set texts.

Or try here: https://bearsdeneng.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/higher-close-reading-booklet-1.pdf

Hope it helps! :smile:

Wow! Thank you, this is so much help. Doing what you suggested will definitely save me time too, which is something I struggled with at Nat 5. It's also more direct too. Perfect!

Just wondering, how did you find the pdf? Was it provided by your school or did you discover it yourself? It looks very useful. I will definitely be using it :h:
Original post by FourSeasons
Wow! Thank you, this is so much help. Doing what you suggested will definitely save me time too, which is something I struggled with at Nat 5. It's also more direct too. Perfect!

Just wondering, how did you find the pdf? Was it provided by your school or did you discover it yourself? It looks very useful. I will definitely be using it :h:

I was just googling online for practice papers as I've done the SQA ones already and found it :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending