The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography

Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm really struggling with Geography. I just got my mock results, and let me tell you, it was terrible. In Unit 1 I got a C, barely. 2 marks less and it's a D.

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, I've studied for this paper for quite a while now, I focus in class and take extra notes at home, I even get my teacher to check my notes and give me exam-styled questions, I normally get full marks, or close to full marks. But when it came to the exam, I got around 9 out of 25 for each unit.

Looking back at my paper, I feel that the teacher should've given more marks, I complained and to the teacher but he said he's busy and will find some other time to go over it with me.

If anyone is studying Geography at GCSE level or A-Level, could you please give me some revision tips? I originally wanted an A/A* for Geography but now I just want a B to ensure I get my EBACC.
Reply 1
memorise everything in CGP; link points together in questions worth 4 marks or above. for 8 markers case studies use facts/stats (make them up if u cant find any). can't really get below A if u do that
Reply 2
Original post by Doctor1234
Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and I'm really struggling with Geography. I just got my mock results, and let me tell you, it was terrible. In Unit 1 I got a C, barely. 2 marks less and it's a D.

If you are doing past paper questions, I can mark them for you if you tell me the paper and the year. I'm currently studying A2 Geog.
Reply 3
Original post by Amefish
If you are doing past paper questions, I can mark them for you if you tell me the paper and the year. I'm currently studying A2 Geog.

Wow, that would very helpful! I'll be able to take my mock paper home some time next week, so hopefully my teacher marked it wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by JickDee
memorise everything in CGP; link points together in questions worth 4 marks or above. for 8 markers case studies use facts/stats (make them up if u cant find any). can't really get below A if u do that

I tried that for the mocks and it didn't seem to work for me :frown:

Maybe I haven't memorised enough information, I'll try using the CGP books again.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 5
Original post by Amefish

Hi, I talked to my teacher and said that I think he marked it wrong, but he insisted that were no errors, even though he didn't let me show him the question. I also asked if I could bring Paper 1 home, but he told me to come back another day.

Since your studying Geography at AS, I'm assuming you achieved a grade B or higher at GCSE, do you have any revision tips/advice when it comes to geography?

By the way, what exam board was you geography exam and what grade did you get at GCSE? You don't have to answer the final question if you don't want to.
Reply 6
Hi, I talked to my teacher and said that I think he marked it wrong, but he insisted that were no errors, even though he didn't let me show him the question. I also asked if I could bring Paper 1 home, but he told me to come back another day.

Since your studying Geography at AS, I'm assuming you achieved a grade B or higher at GCSE, do you have any revision tips/advice when it comes to geography?

By the way, what exam board was you geography exam and what grade did you get at GCSE? You don't have to answer the final question if you don't want to.

I'm studying it at A2 :smile: I achieved an A grade at GCSE - I would've achieved an A* but all my years coursework was marked down by the exam board :frown: I studied OCR. The specifications would've changed now as it is, but Geography is pretty similar for all of the examining bodies. You should revise your case studies - make sure you know some "place specific detail", these are things such as figures and dates. You should also apply SEE (Social, Environmental, Economic) considerations to appropriate questions to get the maximum marks :smile:
I've just been reading up on some geography and I'm in the exact same situation, my target's an A and all i keep coming out with is C's. What revision technique do you use for geography? My teacher recommends topic mind maps but i'm not sure these work for me.

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, I've studied for this paper for quite a while now, I focus in class and take extra notes at home, I even get my teacher to check my notes and give me exam-styled questions, I normally get full marks, or close to full marks. But when it came to the exam, I got around 9 out of 25 for each unit.

Looking back at my paper, I feel that the teacher should've given more marks, I complained and to the teacher but he said he's busy and will find some other time to go over it with me.

If anyone is studying Geography at GCSE level or A-Level, could you please give me some revision tips? I originally wanted an A/A* for Geography but now I just want a B to ensure I get my EBACC.
Reply 8
Original post by _bethan__
I've just been reading up on some geography and I'm in the exact same situation, my target's an A and all i keep coming out with is C's. What revision technique do you use for geography? My teacher recommends topic mind maps but i'm not sure these work for me.

Before my mocks, I would take notes from the CGP revision guide, but that didn't seem to be effective, or maybe I just haven't memorised it well. Either way, I'm beginning to use BBC bitesize to take notes, I'll still also be using the CGP revision guide.

Personally, I don't like mind maps, they're not easy to read and you can't include much information without it being extremely messy and unorganised. But that's just me. You might like it. I'm beginning to use mind maps when it comes to English Literature since I'm only mentioning quotes and a brief explanation.

Looking back at my paper, I practically got no marks on the 8 markers, I'm now going to learn everything when it comes to these types of questions (case studies, short and long term responses, immediate and long term effects e.c.t), if I get around 6/7 marks in these types of questions, that's 18-21 marks more overall. That would bring my C up to a strong A, almost and A*!

By the way, it's best you learn the whole syllabus at least 3 weeks prior to your exams. This will give you enough time to make revision material and do past papers.

Good luck with revision and do tell me how it goes.
Reply 9
The AQA GCSE my revision notes Geography (9-1) revision guide is a whole lot more useful than the CGP guide.
It is laid out more logically and follows the specification exactly.

My tips would be focus on case studies as that is how you will gain marks in 6,9 and 12 mark questions. If you don't mention them you get capped at half marks. Also, always write a conclusion for the extended questions as well.

I hope your revision is going better now :-)

Maybe it’s exam technique that you are struggling with rather than content. Make sure you know what the different types of questions what you to say, for example, do you know what to include for Analyse, Justify, Assess the extent to which? Even if you think you know I would make sure you know then like the back of your hand because if you can’t answer the exam questions then the actual content doesn’t mean very much.
But try not to worry too much, a C is still a pass, and look on the bright side: it’s better than a U, G, F, E or a D 🙂
Reply 11
Have you tried Seneca Learning's AQA course? I've just started using it recenyly and found it mega helpful
Reply 12
Original post by Gibbs11
The AQA GCSE my revision notes Geography (9-1) revision guide is a whole lot more useful than the CGP guide.
It is laid out more logically and follows the specification exactly.

My tips would be focus on case studies as that is how you will gain marks in 6,9 and 12 mark questions. If you don't mention them you get capped at half marks. Also, always write a conclusion for the extended questions as well.

I hope your revision is going better now :-)

Original post by Lozzylouise
Maybe it’s exam technique that you are struggling with rather than content. Make sure you know what the different types of questions what you to say, for example, do you know what to include for Analyse, Justify, Assess the extent to which? Even if you think you know I would make sure you know then like the back of your hand because if you can’t answer the exam questions then the actual content doesn’t mean very much.
But try not to worry too much, a C is still a pass, and look on the bright side: it’s better than a U, G, F, E or a D 🙂

Original post by MimiElf
Have you tried Seneca Learning's AQA course? I've just started using it recenyly and found it mega helpful

Thanks for the tips, though I've already completed my GCSE's =P. I'm in year 12 right now. Somehow managed to get a B in Geography, getting a B and an A in my exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending