The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've had people ask what is the queen like and how far did I live from her. :facepalm:

(I lived in the UK for quite a while)

I was also told that my English is "very good" by a nurse in England. Well, no ****.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
They don't react.

If you mean ethnicity-wise, it's​ usually along the lines of "thought you were black" if it's on TSR.
Reply 3
"So is your first language Gaelic?"
"You must love haggis!"
"Do you know every Robert Burns poem off by heart?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Have you seen the pyramids?
"Oh I'm from the midlands"

"Where is that?"

"Well as the name suggests, the middle of the country, personally I'm from a village slap bang between nottingham or leicester"

"Ohhh so you're a southerner/northerner"

*facepalm*

MIDLANDS.... THE MIDLANDS.... AS IN MIDDLE ENGLAND! IT'S IN THE PISSING NAME!!!
"Does fairyland really exist?" :sly:
Online be like:
"Where are you from"
"Essex"
"Isn't that the richest county in the UK which is filled with dumbos?" "Is that the place where there are tanning shops every corner" "Ohh, do you have that annoying accent?"
"Uhhh....."
(edited 7 years ago)
"Where?"

"Can you spell that?"

"What large cities are nearby?"

"...Where?"
Reply 9
I am from a very small country so when I am abroad,I always have to explain my nationality for like 5 mins:-)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
"Where?"

"Can you spell that?"

"What large cities are nearby?"

"...Where?"

Pretty much the same here... It's so bad that now I straight away away just say the two nearest cities.... if I actually tell people where I'm from I usually get blank stares or.... equally annoyingly "Oh that's where pork pies are from" :colonhash:
They usually say they've never heard of my town
Reply 12
Well let's see.
I don't look Arab, I look more South Asian. When they find out I'm Arab it's always "OMG really?!??! You don't look Arab!! I thought you were from [insert south asian country here]". Then of course all the things that come with being Arab, "can you write my name in Arabic?" blahblahblah.

I was also born in the Netherlands. Which a lot of people confuse with Germany for some reason. Some gal tried to relate by telling me she was born in "Amsterdam, Germany". Bruh. A lot of people will then try to get me to say something in Dutch which I've completely forgotten. When I came to England my Dutch-ness gave me an American-sounding accent and people were shocked I wasn't from America.

I've spent the last 10 years in London, people are always fascinated that I have a London accent - and I don't mean Cockney I mean like MLE/ roadman London. Yeah going to school every day with people who talk like that for almost a decade does that to you :lol:.

Original post by UWS
They don't react.

If you mean ethnicity-wise, it's​ usually along the lines of "thought you were black" if it's on TSR.

You're not black?!?!?
Given I've never lived outside of Yorkshire, they usually ask what neighbourhood as they know the city.
They ask if it is **** as people say; it is!
theyre like.. wheres that ?
:rofl: :@Lychee627
Reply 16
Original post by z33

You're not black?!?!?

Maybe :holmes:

Spoiler

They start spazing out and sometimes jump out the window.

Spoiler

Original post by JJKSI12
So I was looking on twitter and a tweet was like

Where you from?

Essex

Oh so you know Joey Essex and the cast of Towie.

So I was just wondering when you tell them where you are from , has anyone ever said anything like that.

I get asked my ethnicity by strangers so often because I don't look like I'm from one place lol so when I explain how I'm so mixed they usually say wow that makes sense aha
I live in a small, rural town with around 7000 people around an hour's drive from London, so usually something like this:-

Them: 'Where on earth is that?'
Me: "Rural south Kent"
Them: "Oh so basically London then?"/"Oh, you must be really rich"
Me in both cases: "Nope"

It does occasionally differ from that, in one memorable case someone said 'Isn't that a bird?' when I told them the name of my town.

Latest