The Student Room Group

Imperial College- Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bow Tie
Hi guys, i'm a current 2nd-year medic at imperial so if you need any advice or tips/tricks, drop me a line and i'll try to help!

Hi, I just have one question. Let's say someone doesn't reach the conditions of their offer e.g. The offer is A*AA and they got AAA or AAB, what's the probability that they would still be allowed in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medical Geek
Hiya Bow Tie, just wanted to know whether for 2018 entry Imperial will look at GCSEs or not. One other question that I was curious about is how did you revise for the BMAT? Thanks for your help and how do you find Imperial? Wish you best of luck for all exams you have :wink:

Hi! It would be best to look at their website regarding entry requirements into medicine for GCSEs but I do not see why they would discount GCSEs altogether (however, they probably don't put lots of weight into them relative to A-Levels and IB).

For BMAT, I just did past papers over and over. I also read up on a few current medical matters which can help for the essay part - I noted something about the foot and mouth outbreak in my essay and they love that stuff so try to include some examples or historical/current medical issues in the essay.

Imperial is a great place to be, a little bit competitive at times but otherwise good and has a great mix of people! London is very very pricey though (but an awesome place to live!).

Thanks! just 5 weeks until my final year 2 exams...

Original post by Johncenaofficial
Hi, I just have one question. Let's say someone doesn't reach the conditions of their offer e.g. The offer is A*AA and they got AAA or AAB, what's the probability that they would still be allowed in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer, I would doubt they'd let you in as they can afford to be quite picky - like any medical school these days.
Original post by Bow Tie
Hi! It would be best to look at their website regarding entry requirements into medicine for GCSEs but I do not see why they would discount GCSEs altogether (however, they probably don't put lots of weight into them relative to A-Levels and IB).

For BMAT, I just did past papers over and over. I also read up on a few current medical matters which can help for the essay part - I noted something about the foot and mouth outbreak in my essay and they love that stuff so try to include some examples or historical/current medical issues in the essay.

Imperial is a great place to be, a little bit competitive at times but otherwise good and has a great mix of people! London is very very pricey though (but an awesome place to live!).

Thanks! just 5 weeks until my final year 2 exams...

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer, I would doubt they'd let you in as they can afford to be quite picky - like any medical school these days.

He/she is asking because they didn't look at them this year. There was no actual requirement
Original post by iamDev
He/she is asking because they didn't look at them this year. There was no actual requirement

Ah yes I see, I have just had a look.

I find it odd that they would completely discount the GCSEs but that may be because if you are getting A*AA, the chances your GCSEs were decent would be pretty high.

Definitely go with what the entry requirements page says and if it doesn't list GCSEs, then assume it isn't examined in much detail.

I found Imperial seems to focus strongly on the BMAT and A-Levels and less so on the interview (just be yourself and this tends to go fine) and other aspects (like every student ever that has done the DoE award...).
Original post by Bow Tie
Hi guys, i'm a current 2nd-year medic at imperial so if you need any advice or tips/tricks, drop me a line and i'll try to help!

Hi, please could you give an idea of what your timetable was like in first year? Or if you have a photo of it that would be even better. Also apart from formative and summative assessments, do you have any other tests or work with deadlines?
Original post by Quarrdent
Hi, please could you give an idea of what your timetable was like in first year? Or if you have a photo of it that would be even better. Also apart from formative and summative assessments, do you have any other tests or work with deadlines?

I cannot remember the first year timetable that much (and i'm not sure if i'm allowed to divulge the pdf one they give on blackboard out as it all university property and all that malarkey) but the modules went like follows:

MCD - Molecules, Cells and Disease.
LSS - Life Support Systems.
LCRS - Life Cycles and Regulatory Systems.
FCA - First Clinical Attachment.
PBL - Problem-Based Learning.
The first 3 are the bulk of the learning which is all science.

You'd probably expect around 15-20 lectures a week maximum, my past week of year 2 (which is considerably more heavy than year 1 mind) has been:
Monday - 4 lectures (~5 hours).
Tuesday - 4 lectures (~4 hours).
Wednesday - off.
Thursday - 3 lectures (~3 hours).
Friday - 5 lectures (~5 hours).
and then you'll need to cover the content or write notes so maybe it's around total work time of about 30-45 hours but this varies from person-to-person :tongue:

There is only formatives and summatives really, but none of the practical write-up nonsense that engineers etc. have to to.

Hope this helps?
Original post by Bow Tie
Ah yes I see, I have just had a look.

I find it odd that they would completely discount the GCSEs but that may be because if you are getting A*AA, the chances your GCSEs were decent would be pretty high.

Definitely go with what the entry requirements page says and if it doesn't list GCSEs, then assume it isn't examined in much detail.

I found Imperial seems to focus strongly on the BMAT and A-Levels and less so on the interview (just be yourself and this tends to go fine) and other aspects (like every student ever that has done the DoE award...).

Yep that's true. They just require a good BMAT and minimum a level requirements so it's pretty nice
Original post by Bow Tie
I cannot remember the first year timetable that much (and i'm not sure if i'm allowed to divulge the pdf one they give on blackboard out as it all university property and all that malarkey) but the modules went like follows:

You'd probably expect around 15-20 lectures a week maximum, my past week of year 2 (which is considerably more heavy than year 1 mind) has been:
Wednesday - off.
and then you'll need to cover the content or write notes so maybe it's around total work time of about 30-45 hours but this varies from person-to-person :tongue:

There is only formatives and summatives really, but none of the practical write-up nonsense that engineers etc. have to to.

Hope this helps?

Does that mean that it's not always 9-5pm?
Original post by iamDev
Does that mean that it's not always 9-5pm?

Well you'll be working 9-5 technically to cover things but sometimes, yes it's not always 9-5.
Reply 1929
Original post by Bow Tie

Hi, I've got my imperial interview in a few days and I'm stuck on how to answer the question 'why imperial?'. Any advice on how to answer it? This is my last chance to get into med school so any help would be highly appreciated :smile:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abj0
Hi, I've got my imperial interview in a few days and I'm stuck on how to answer the question 'why imperial?'. Any advice on how to answer it? This is my last chance to get into med school so any help would be highly appreciated :smile:)

This is really a question only you can answer; it needs to be sincere.

Ask yourself "What do I want from a medical school?", "why do I want to go to imperial?", "What do I like about the course at Imperial?", etc. etc.

Also remember, that if you've got an interview at Imperial, you've already got past the hard bit of being selected. Now just be yourself!
Original post by Bow Tie

Wednesday - off.

Hope this helps?

Ah thank you so much, yes it's really helped me! I've been worrying that I'll be waking up at 8 and finishing lectures at 5 like school is currently, which is horrible because when will I have time to study or have a life?
Hi can someone please add me to the unofficial chat?
Reply 1933
Original post by Bow Tie
This is really a question only you can answer; it needs to be sincere.

Ask yourself "What do I want from a medical school?", "why do I want to go to imperial?", "What do I like about the course at Imperial?", etc. etc.

Also remember, that if you've got an interview at Imperial, you've already got past the hard bit of being selected. Now just be yourself!

Thank you! I was also wondering if there is anything considerably different in course structure of imperial compared with other med schools?
Ah thank you so much, yes it's really helped me! I've been worrying that I'll be waking up at 8 and finishing lectures at 5 like school is currently, which is horrible because when will I have time to study or have a life?

I'm also in my second year and trust me medical school is not like that haha. In first year you can cram and still do well, in second year you can't really cram, but what I've been doing is doing a little bit of work every day since the start of the year so that I'm more or less up-to-date on lectures. You do have lots of spare time (atleast until you get to exams)

Well it can sometimes be much worse than that but also sometimes better! I mean life doesn't exactly become easier after school is over :redface:
Original post by Abj0
Thank you! I was also wondering if there is anything considerably different in course structure of imperial compared with other med schools?

I'm afraid I wouldn't know as I don't really know how other medical schools run their programs but I'd assume they don't vary to a large degree as every medical course has to cover the same learning objectives laid out by the GMC.
Original post by Bow Tie

Do you think Imperial is a nice place to study at?
Original post by Kdrizzy1999
There's also an unofficial facebook group chat. Let me know if you want to be added!

That would be good! :smile:
Original post by Fwong99
Do you think Imperial is a nice place to study at?

I like it here! Just remember it's a 6-year course :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending