The Student Room Group

What's the hardest video game you've played...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Willy Pete
I never really built an external wall, just chunk barriers in front of my turrets and I choose mountainous regions for natural defence.
I think dust has been removed, I have not seen it come up on mine.

Also mortars are OP, once you build a couple of them surrounded by walls most enemies don't see it coming and they have ridiculous rage making even the most retarded member of your team vaguely useful in a fight.

With the dust it was with stuff like mining part of a wall and it was then dirty so then needed cleaning to make it more appealing to look at. With one of my bases I built in a cluster of mountains and late game I built walls to connect game with the longest having a gab which made the AI target there and had turrets and extra sandbags around. I never got to having mortars, the turrets and some other mechanical upgrade already took long enough.
Maybe Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES).
Thunderscape. 1995 RPG dungeon crawler. Stupidly huge maps, ridiculously hard to figure out puzzles, and at least one point where, if you screwed up (and believe me, I very nearly did) then it becomes impossible to progress further, despite the game not telling you this.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Thunderscape. 1995 RPG dungeon crawler. Stupidly huge maps, ridiculously hard to figure out puzzles, and at least one point where, if you screwed up (and believe me, I very nearly did) then it becomes impossible to progress further, despite the game not telling you this.

Sounds like rimworld minus the puzzles and it technically goes on forever. Also its a survival strategy.
Original post by Vikingninja
Sounds like rimworld minus the puzzles and it technically goes on forever. Also its a survival strategy.

Thunderscape's also sword & sorcery, the combat is turn-based, and it's 3D, first-person perspective... I'm not seeing the similarities, I'll be honest. :giggle:
Even though I quit gaming to focus on life I'm going to reminisce a bit

Hardest moments:

Cod 2 (The 2005 one) on veteran
Cod WaW on veteran
Halo reach solo on legendary
Gears of War 4 solo on insane
Duke Nukem forever on insane because of the God awful AI
Doing that dam test of war challenge on shadow of Mordor
Hardest game I have ever played? there are a lot games which can be named just to speak for myself, especially the ones I haven't finished. In retrospective and in terms of games I have finished, Super Mario World for SNES was really tough to play as a child. The hardest unfinished game has to be Super Ghouls and Ghostst for SNES. It is one of my youngest games and I am so sure that I will never play that through in this life. It is too difficult to come to an end. -.-
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Thunderscape's also sword & sorcery, the combat is turn-based, and it's 3D, first-person perspective... I'm not seeing the similarities, I'll be honest. :giggle:

... they're both really ****ing hard.
I can't decide on just one. But these spring to mind...

R-Type and Gradius series
Alien Soldier
Mega Man series
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Shadow Dancer (Arcade)
Wipeout (PS1)
SMB The Lost Levels
Metroid (NES)
Kid Icarus (NES)
Original post by noggins
I can't decide on just one. But these spring to mind...

R-Type and Gradius series
Alien Soldier
Mega Man series
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Shadow Dancer (Arcade)
Wipeout (PS1)
SMB The Lost Levels
Metroid (NES)
Kid Icarus (NES)

Oh yeah, there are parts of these series which were very tricky. The most difficult part to play through was the third one for NES, especially playing it as in young ages. There are even some of them which I couldn't play through yet, just too tough.

Do you mean Super Ghouls and Ghost for SNES instead? played that game a few times yet. But I am so sure I will never finish it. Just too hard to get it.
Evil Within I've found a little difficult, I remember I was stuck on chapter three was months and as soon as I started progressing through the game---what do you know? I'm stuck on this other chapter which doesn't save, so you have to start all the hassle again at the checkpoint.

Oh, Injustice Leauge---I'm slowly getting better but I use that weakly. It's hard...
Original post by Pedrex
Alien isolation-nightmare difficulty :tongue:

Not tried that level on the game!
Reply 52
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on Blood and Broken Bones Difficulty
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Not sure whether that had an adjustable difficulty setting)
Original post by Kallisto
Oh yeah, there are parts of these series which were very tricky. The most difficult part to play through was the third one for NES, especially playing it as in young ages. There are even some of them which I couldn't play through yet, just too tough.

Do you mean Super Ghouls and Ghost for SNES instead? played that game a few times yet. But I am so sure I will never finish it. Just too hard to get it.

Super Ghouls is possibly the least challenging game of that series. It's a very good game mind. I played it a couple of years ago and reached the ghost ship stage. I still need to get round to playing Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins which came out on PSP a decade ago now.

The early Castlevania games were pretty tough aswell with often being knocked backwards in to holes by flying enemies.
Original post by noggins
x

The least challenging game? Castlevania harder than Super Ghouls and Ghosts? oh gosh, that has to be a game for experts, if that is true. Know the castlevania games, have even thought to buy them, but they are too expensive by now.

By the way did you have play the Mega Man X series too?
Probably snake rattle n roll on NES. Really good game.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Oh, definitely Fable 3. It was almost impossible to finish that game!

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clearly mario kart rainbow road, I never managed to unlock the mirror cup on that tournament because of stupid rainbow road. :angry:
Original post by Shadow Hunters
Clearly mario kart rainbow road, I never managed to unlock the mirror cup on that tournament because of stupid rainbow road. :angry:

And what a Mario Kart game are you talking about exactly? the hardest Rainbow Road I have played was the one in SNES version. Hated these flashing coming off stones and the fact there were no barriers what always led to falling down when crossing the edges of the road. :angry:
Original post by Toasticide
that ISNT something blatantly obvious like Dark souls.

I don't play many hard games (im a scrub XD) so for me it's Super Hexagon :biggrin:

Seeing as you said we can't mention Dark Souls, I guess for me the second hardest game I ever played would be a tie between The Walking Dead and The Last of Us. It wasn't hard in terms of combat but emotionally hard. I wasn't prepared for how emotional the games could get. I had to take breaks from playing them because of how depressing the games got.

Quick Reply

Latest