The Student Room Group

Newcastle or Manchester med school

Hi, I have offers from both, both want AAA. I just wanted some opinions from people about which uni is better (in terms of student experience as both university's med course is very good)
here are the pros of manchester imo:
- dissection offered
- uni has better reputation
- better music scene
- bigger city (although sometimes i think this could be ca con)

here are the pros of NCL imo:
- better student life
- better architecture (looked great)
- more clinical experience afaik
- better city
- friendlier people
- better accom
- better mix of lectures and seminars (pbl type teaching)

anone have any opinions on either medical school, also anyone in similar position (choosing between manchest and NCL) is so which one would you pick and why?
Original post by medicapplicant
x

The biggest factor should be that Manchester is PBL and Newcastle is lecture based, which do you prefer?

Personally i would say Newcastle is the better choice, but i'm slightly biased cause it's the one i'm leaning towards firming.
Original post by HopelessMedic
The biggest factor should be that Manchester is PBL and Newcastle is lecture based, which do you prefer?

Personally i would say Newcastle is the better choice, but i'm slightly biased cause it's the one i'm leaning towards firming.

the thing is i would like a mix between lectures and pbl, i heard ncl does lectures but also does seminars/pbl sessions (although no that often) so thats whats making me lean towards ncl a little more than manchester,

during the open day i heard from some students that people in ncl uni arent that nice (however most people i met were nice), do you know if theres any truth to that?
the thing is i would like a mix between lectures and pbl, i heard ncl does lectures but also does seminars/pbl sessions (although no that often) so thats whats making me lean towards ncl a little more than manchester,

during the open day i heard from some students that people in ncl uni arent that nice (however most people i met were nice), do you know if theres any truth to that?

As far as i know, Manchester is very PBL heavy so if you want a more varied teaching approach then Newcastle seems better. Also i don't think Newcastle do any PBL, they do use case led learning tho.

I found the opposite, everyone i met at Newcastle were really friendly, both students and the people.
Reply 4
Newcastle don't do any PBL - I think we had a cursory nodd (1 seminar once in pre-clinical) to fulfill the GMC requirements that say there's needs to be at least some PBL in a medical course. The seminars we do have in pre-clinical are taught/facilitated sessions mainly discussing sociology, public health, communication skills, etc.

The biggest deciding factor is between lecture-based (Newcastle) and PBL (Manchester). I don't think it's true that Newcastle students aren't nice - certainly not my experience.
Original post by Beska
Newcastle don't do any PBL - I think we had a cursory nodd (1 seminar once in pre-clinical) to fulfill the GMC requirements that say there's needs to be at least some PBL in a medical course. The seminars we do have in pre-clinical are taught/facilitated sessions mainly discussing sociology, public health, communication skills, etc.

The biggest deciding factor is between lecture-based (Newcastle) and PBL (Manchester). I don't think it's true that Newcastle students aren't nice - certainly not my experience.

hey, thanks for the reply, could you tell me exactly what the teaching is like at Newcastle medical school especially for the first year (i know its case led, and lecture heavy but whats it like on a day to day basis.
also could you give a general idea of what a 1st year medics timetable looks like at newcastle.

Fairly sure Manchester will no longer be PBL by the time OP has started. I'm a final year there now and they've heavily redesigned the early parts of the course, not sure what they've replaced PBL with but I don't think they've switched to pure lectures either.

I would definitely argue in favour of Manchester, it's a brilliant city, everything that's good about London but none of the hassle and half the price. And the people are friendly everywhere up north, not just the geordies!
Reply 7
hey, thanks for the reply, could you tell me exactly what the teaching is like at Newcastle medical school especially for the first year (i know its case led, and lecture heavy but whats it like on a day to day basis.
also could you give a general idea of what a 1st year medics timetable looks like at newcastle.

Days are generally 9-5 with an hour break for lunch. Seminars will always be held in the afternoon for pre-clinical. Teaching is integrated and is systems-based, and loosely case-based. For example, consider teaching on the heart. There will be a 'case launch' lecture which generally provides some clinical context (i.e. describes the case of a woman having a heart attack), with the hope that this clinical context helps you learn all the forthcoming basic science. This is followed by lecture-based teaching on cardiac physiology, DR sessions on the anatomy of the heart, clinical skills sessions on examination of the CVS, etc. The cases really are just a way for you to organise the learning into discrete chunks and provides some clinical context, which is useful, but it's perfectly possible just to kind of ignore the case. Interspaced within all of that is teaching on professionalism, communication, law, sociology, etc. Here's an example of a timetable for first year, describing the cardiac stuff I mentioned:

Spoiler

There's not just 1 case running at once - in addition to the cases, there's the modules that these cases sit within. There's usually around 2-3 cases running at the same time (e.g. cardiac and you can see at the end of that timetable the beginning of a metabolism case).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Beska
Days are generally 9-5 with an hour break for lunch. Seminars will always be held in the afternoon for pre-clinical. Teaching is integrated and is systems-based, and loosely case-based. For example, consider teaching on the heart. There will be a 'case launch' lecture which generally provides some clinical context (i.e. describes the case of a woman having a heart attack), with the hope that this clinical context helps you learn all the forthcoming basic science. This is followed by lecture-based teaching on cardiac physiology, DR sessions on the anatomy of the heart, clinical skills sessions on examination of the CVS, etc. The cases really are just a way for you to organise the learning into discrete chunks and provides some clinical context, which is useful, but it's perfectly possible just to kind of ignore the case. Interspaced within all of that is teaching on professionalism, communication, law, sociology, etc. Here's an example of a timetable for first year, describing the cardiac stuff I mentioned:

Spoiler

There's not just 1 case running at once - in addition to the cases, there's the modules that these cases sit within. There's usually around 2-3 cases running at the same time (e.g. cardiac and you can see at the end of that timetable the beginning of a metabolism case).

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending