The Student Room Group

*2 JOB OFFERS* - Badly need some advice

I have received 2 job offers, and can not for the life of me decide which one I should take. Here are an outline of both;

(1) ACA Training Contract, Bolton, Medium Size firm, Less Friendly, only 4 out of the 15 ACA exam exemptions due to my degree

(2) ACCA Training Contract, Glasgow, Medium Size Firm, Very friendly, receive 8 out of 14

Some advice would be amazing!! :smile:
Original post by Ryan_95
I have received 2 job offers, and can not for the life of me decide which one I should take. Here are an outline of both;

(1) ACA Training Contract, Bolton, Medium Size firm, Less Friendly, only 4 out of the 15 ACA exam exemptions due to my degree

(2) ACCA Training Contract, Glasgow, Medium Size Firm, Very friendly, receive 8 out of 14

Some advice would be amazing!! :smile:

What's the downside to the Glasgow role? From what you've said there

ACA/ACCA = either/or as future qualifications,
Bolton/Glasgow = personal preference,
Size of firm = could work either way,
Friendly firm = much better,
More exemptions = much better.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
What's the downside to the Glasgow role? From what you've said there

ACA/ACCA = either/or as future qualifications,
Bolton/Glasgow = personal preference,
Size of firm = could work either way,
Friendly firm = much better,
More exemptions = much better.

The only downside really is that ACA is generally considered more prestigous, & I don't want to limit my progression if I did ACCA. For example the average ACA salary seems to be much greater than ACCA. So I suppose future salary is one aspect that concerns me!

Thank you for the advice!! :smile:
Havent you posted this before?
Im sure i told you to talk to accountants and job agencies to gauge where they thought the respective qualifications would get you.
Original post by Ryan_95
The only downside really is that ACA is generally considered more prestigous, & I don't want to limit my progression if I did ACCA. For example the average ACA salary seems to be much greater than ACCA. So I suppose future salary is one aspect that concerns me!

Thank you for the advice!! :smile:

If you focus on salary that is slightly misleading as salary is more likely driven by which firms/ companies do which qualification. If you think logically ACA salaries will be higher because the biggest firms/ companies do ACA therefore the people that do ACA will be have on average better grades/ work ethic in the first instance.

In other words intelligent people will gravitate towards ACA rather than ACA being a money maker. In the same way if you, as an ACCA at a medium sized firm, decided to move on you may have less options than an ACA from big 4 but this would be because potential employers see big 4 as positive rather than the ACA specifically.

Based on what you've said I would decide by which city you prefer, and if you are going to stay there long term (after your training contract) where has the better job opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending