The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Mechanics M3 6679 01 - 17 May 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by helpme:)
All of them would be fab but i dont know how to do q2. Im not very good at m3 i find it v difficult

I've attached my solution for 2 below. Sorry for the wait, I didn't have much time last night

Attachment not found

Attachment not found
Currently on Chapter 3. Thought chapter 1 was nice, but really find chapter 2 challenging and just awkard sometimes, hopefully Itll become better
with more practise. Enjoying chapter 3 though - goes crazy with calculus but the problems I find more enjoyable
Reply 22
Original post by TrueDAN
Currently on Chapter 3. Thought chapter 1 was nice, but really find chapter 2 challenging and just awkard sometimes, hopefully Itll become better
with more practise. Enjoying chapter 3 though - goes crazy with calculus but the problems I find more enjoyable

I also struggled with chapter two for a while, I had a lot of trouble drawing diagrams and I found the questions similar to the one above hard. After a while it does get easier, and the questions are all quite similar so after some practise you start to realise what you need to do for each type of question.
Original post by solC
I also struggled with chapter two for a while, I had a lot of trouble drawing diagrams and I found the questions similar to the one above hard. After a while it does get easier, and the questions are all quite similar so after some practise you start to realise what you need to do for each type of question.

Yeah thanks bro, just got to grind it out!
Been struggling with M3 recently, really have to push a lot harder to get a better grade.
The E.P.E stuff halfway through Chp.2 is challenging because I never liked the work-energy principle from M2. :frown:

But I guess practice is key for this module as well as anything to do with Maths..

Here are some resources that I think you guys might find useful:
FMSP Online Revision Session Archives (got most modules on here)
FMSP Revision Videos (really good worked solutions)
MadAsMaths (click on the .pdf you need and zoom into see the worked solution)
Tobias Davis' YouTube channel (good for when you need to consolidate technique)
Finally able to just focus on this module for next week or so - finding the conservation of energy with respect to strings/ springs very hard ATM -
much tougher than first expected but gonna keep at it and I think it should click!
Just clarified something that I was unsure of via madasmaths actually, regarding the use of the work energy principle. Plan to get every question for
chapter 2 done this weekend + a good chunk of chapter 3.
Original post by TrueDAN
Finally able to just focus on this module for next week or so - finding the conservation of energy with respect to strings/ springs very hard ATM -much tougher than first expected but gonna keep at it and I think it should click!

The important thing with these is to draw a decent diagram and mark on it which lengths you are calling by which variable. The length used in the GPE is very often different from the length you are using in EPE.
Original post by tiny hobbit
The important thing with these is to draw a decent diagram and mark on it which lengths you are calling by which variable. The length used in the GPE is very often different from the length you are using in EPE.

Much appreciate the advice man! Ty
Stuck with 2E Question 8 - got a good diagram but can't seem to get their ratio - a bit confused tbh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TrueDAN
Stuck with 2E Question 8 - got a good diagram but can't seem to get their ratio

Post/link to the question?
A light elastic string of natural length 0.2m has its ends attached to two fixed points A and B which are on the same horizontal level with AB =0.2m.
A particle of mass 5kg is attached to the string at the point P where AP = 0.15m. The system is released and P hangs in equilibrium below AB with
APB = 90 degrees. If BAP = theta, show that the ratio of the extension of AP and BP is
(4costheta - 3) / (4sintheta -1)
Hence show that : Let T = theta so its more clear; sorry, do not really know how to properly format it
CosT (4CosT - 3) = 3sinT (4SinT - 1)
Every question from chapters 1,2,3 and almost 4 are done. Still find strings very hard, but it is slowly clicking and I am improving - want every
question done by APRIL so got a week left to just grind this out!
Hi guys,

I don't really know where to start with mechanics revision, if I'm honest. Can anyone help me please?
I'm doing M1-3 this year (amongst pure modules). I've done some solid M1, but my teacher advised that we just do M3 solidly, and we'll be passively revising M1/2. How do you all revise maths? Last year, when I did C1-4, S1/2, I didn't use my text book at all, just churned out past papers like no-one's business. Do you guys recommend text book use for starting M3 revision, and if so, how do you use it? There are so many questions and I feel like it's not practical to do them all! If not, how do you guys begin doing past papers? I'm basically starting with nothing, I find FM so difficult! I haven't left it too late, have I? :/

Thanks guys, means a lot if you could help
From a struggling/suffering supposed further mathematician x
Hi guys,

I don't really know where to start with mechanics revision, if I'm honest. Can anyone help me please?
I'm doing M1-3 this year (amongst pure modules). I've done some solid M1, but my teacher advised that we just do M3 solidly, and we'll be passively revising M1/2. How do you all revise maths? Last year, when I did C1-4, S1/2, I didn't use my text book at all, just churned out past papers like no-one's business. Do you guys recommend text book use for starting M3 revision, and if so, how do you use it? There are so many questions and I feel like it's not practical to do them all! If not, how do you guys begin doing past papers? I'm basically starting with nothing, I find FM so difficult! I haven't left it too late, have I? :/

Original post by I can do this
Hi guys,

2 months until the exam - that is more than enough time - do not panic; always
ask here for any questions you are unsure off. So, for
further maths, I actually have been doing all the questions in the text book and for
M2 and FP2 it has worked wonders so gonna stick with it for M3. Id recommend
that you atleast do the mixed exercises and review exercises questions.
Once I have got all questions in textbook done, I then begin doing all paper
variations and madasmaths booklets. Once they are done, then the standard past papers. I am not the biggest fan of this textbook though - think the diagrams can
be very poor so if you get stuck, refer to Madasmaths and see his method for
similar questions. This is my first time using the textbook - its made for a reason
right? mayswell get some use out of it. Also, it is M3 - it is meant to be hard - it is
for essentially some of the cleverest kids in the country so do not be disheartened if it seems tough - STRINGS are the bain of my life atm, but getting easier. :biggrin:
Anyone have any tips for m3? any formulae we need to know and just general tips on topics would be nice
Reply 37
Original post by helpme:)
Anyone have any tips for m3? any formulae we need to know and just general tips on topics would be nice

The biggest tip I can give is to make sure you draw big, clear diagrams especially for the questions on SHM and circular motion.
I have a textbook that has very good diagrams so I can take a pic of them later today to show you.

As for formulae I think you might need to learn some of the SHM formulae and the one for the E.P.E of a string but that's it I think.
Exercise 5d Question 4 - struggling to follow the moments taken
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by TrueDAN
Exercise 5d Question 4 - struggling to follow the moments taken

Are you still stuck?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending