The Student Room Group

Getting an A* in edexcel further maths?

So I am doing C1-4 (obviously in core) and S1 and S2, M1 and, D1 and 2 FP1 and 2. My questions is inorder to get an A* in further maths I know I need to get 90% in 3 A2 modules. Does this have to include FP2 which is my worst module ? So if I got 90 % in S2, M2 and D2 (D2 is already 95 took it last year) would I get an A* if the points over the two years added to an A ???? Thank you for your help.
Original post by CSLady
So I am doing C1-4 (obviously in core) and S1 and S2, M1 and, D1 and 2 FP1 and 2. My questions is inorder to get an A* in further maths I know I need to get 90% in 3 A2 modules. Does this have to include FP2 which is my worst module ? So if I got 90 % in S2, M2 and D2 (D2 is already 95 took it last year) would I get an A* if the points over the two years added to an A ???? Thank you for your help.

Does not have to include FP2
Reply 2
Original post by ODES_PDES
Does not have to include FP2

thank you its my worst unit
How hard is FP2 compared to FP1?
Original post by FailedMyMocks

A lot harder I think
Dont you have to be some kind of mathematical God to get an A* at further maths A2? :P
Original post by FailedMyMocks

Very :redface: for Edexcel, out of all the ones I did (FP1-2, C1-4, S1-4, D1, M1) FP2 was the most difficult one by some way. Quite a big step up from FP1 and it's what makes A2 difficult.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Very :redface: for Edexcel, out of all the ones I did (FP1-2, C1-4, S1-4, D1, M1) FP2 was the most difficult one by some way. Quite a big step up from FP1 and it's what makes A2 difficult.

FP2 is so hard. I don't understand a lot of it and our teacher rushes through the whole thing. It doesn't help that the questions can take any thing from about 5-15 minutes to complete in the textbook. So there isn't much time to practice. I am hoping that M2,D2 and S2 will give me a shot at A* (I would be happy with an A ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CSLady
FP2 is so hard. I don't understand a lot of it and our teacher rushes through the whole thing. It doesn't help that the questions can take any thing from about 5-15 minutes to complete in the textbook. So there isn't much time to practice. I am hoping that M2,D2 and S2 will give me a shot at A* (I would be happy with an A ).

Posted from TSR Mobile

This applies to maths in general, but if you don't understand something in class then at home, open the textbook from wherever you're stuck, look through the examples and then answer the questions in order. If you're stuck, look online or ask your teacher, and you should get the hang of it.

:lol: I can relate to that..

Good luck! :h:

Spoiler

Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
This applies to maths in general, but if you don't understand something in class then at home, open the textbook from wherever you're stuck, look through the examples and then answer the questions in order. If you're stuck, look online or ask your teacher, and you should get the hang of it.

:lol: I can relate to that..

Good luck! :h:

Spoiler

Hey sean. Pretty old thread but how would you have gotten an A* if you got 52 in FP2. Dont you have to get 90+% in basically all modules to get an A* in FM. I find FP2 quite hard and was wondering if theres a way around it
Original post by Carman3
Hey sean. Pretty old thread but how would you have gotten an A* if you got 52 in FP2. Dont you have to get 90+% in basically all modules to get an A* in FM. I find FP2 quite hard and was wondering if theres a way around it

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure, but my understanding at one point that for example, I took M1, S2-4 and FP1-2, and to get an A* you need 270 or more UMS from three units that are a 2 or greater. So I could have had S2-4 as my 3 units... to my understanding at least but this does seem counter intuitive and could be incorrect.
as far as I am aware this is how it works. I have asked around. a few times. Does seem a bit easier to get an A* in Further Maths then it is to get the A* in Maths according to this.
Original post by Luke7456
as far as I am aware this is how it works. I have asked around. a few times. Does seem a bit easier to get an A* in Further Maths then it is to get the A* in Maths according to this.

For an A* in FM you need at least 480 UMS overall and at least 270 from your best 3 A2 units in FM. Theoretically you could have up to 5 A2 units in FM so that gives you a fair amount of flexibility and makes it theoretically possible to get an A* in FM with 0 in FP2.
Original post by Compost
For an A* in FM you need at least 480 UMS overall and at least 270 from your best 3 A2 units in FM. Theoretically you could have up to 5 A2 units in FM so that gives you a fair amount of flexibility and makes it theoretically possible to get an A* in FM with 0 in FP2.

well true but That would take some doing. You would need to get 96 on average in the other modules. I mean getting 40/50 marks in FP2 and coming out with the A* is realistic but getting 96 in every module is a tall order. I know in theory but realistically it cant work. you have to take FP1 towards your six as well don't you? so Whilst in theory you can flunk FP2 and still get the A* its not really realistic and suddenly realizing getting an A* in further maths wont be easy.

sure Statistics 2 3 and 4 should be okay Mechanics 2 should be fine. but meh at FP2
Original post by Luke7456
well true but That would take some doing. You would need to get 96 on average in the other modules. I mean getting 40/50 marks in FP2 and coming out with the A* is realistic but getting 96 in every module is a tall order. I know in theory but realistically it cant work. you have to take FP1 towards your six as well don't you? so Whilst in theory you can flunk FP2 and still get the A* its not really realistic and suddenly realizing getting an A* in further maths wont be easy.

sure Statistics 2 3 and 4 should be okay Mechanics 2 should be fine. but meh at FP2

I have known several people get an A* in FM without needing to count the marks from their worst unit but that has generally been in the high 80s as well.
Original post by Compost
I have known several people get an A* in FM without needing to count the marks from their worst unit but that has generally been in the high 80s as well.

yeah that is doable. I think in theory you could get D or E in FP2 and still do it realistically, However I would not want to bank on that. However I just don't think one could get 0 in FP2 and do this. if your capable of getting 100% in all your other exams I would expect better in FP2 then 0.

Quick Reply

Latest