The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex Chan
I am a lower 6th student and wondering how many universities I can apply to, some said up to 5 but some said it's 2/3 really so I'm much confused. I am sure many people knows I would be grateful if someone help me out here.

5 is the limit on UCAS , but i assume you could apply to less if you want. This doesn't include international applications to the US for example.
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
5 is the limit on UCAS , but i assume you could apply to less if you want. This doesn't include international applications to the US for example.

Right so 5 is the answer. Thank you!
I think it's a maximum of five on the UCAS form but you can apply for less if you wanted to
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic

Are you supposed to apply to a range (in terms of requirements) or do you just apply to the best ones/ones you prefer?
Reply 5
Original post by Alex Chan
Right so 5 is the answer. Thank you!

You can apply for up to 5 courses.

It's permissible to apply to 2 or more courses at the same university (although it's not normally a good idea).

If you are interested in Medicine, you can only apply to 4 Medicine courses. Your 5 choice, if you want to use it, must be a different course.

If you are interested in Oxbridge, you can only apply to Oxford or Cambridge, not both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RS_02
Are you supposed to apply to a range (in terms of requirements) or do you just apply to the best ones/ones you prefer?

The general principle is to apply to 1 or 2 "aspirational" universities/courses. 2 courses that match your predicted grades, and 1 or 2 safety courses (in case you don't achieve your predictions).

But it's up to you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RS_02

The sensible way imo is to apply for 1 ambitious one (above your predicted grades), 2/3 that are around your predicted grades and at least 1 below your grades. Unless you want to apply for medicine, in which case you don't have much choice:wink:
5 but you can create more than one UCAS account and do 10
Reply 9
Original post by coupdetat3
5 but you can create more than one UCAS account and do 10

No. You can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

Who said? I did this.
Reply 11
Who said? I did this.

No you didn't.

And UCAS says so.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

"You can only apply once in a cycle.
Please don't apply more than once in a cycle, as you can't receive a refund for further applications. If you've applied in previous cycles and want to apply again, you'll have to submit a new application."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
No you didn't.

And UCAS says so.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

"You can only apply once in a cycle.
Please don't apply more than once in a cycle, as you can't receive a refund for further applications. If you've applied in previous cycles and want to apply again, you'll have to submit a new application."

Posted from TSR Mobile

All it says is that you can't get a refund. You can submit two different applications, they don't know it's one person.
Reply 13
All it says is that you can't get a refund. You can submit two different applications, they don't know it's one person.

All it says is: "You can only apply once in a cycle."

To try to make more applications is fraudulent.

Did you supply your exam centre and candidate numbers? If so then even if it hasn't been picked up yet it will be spotted in the summer when your results come through and match to two applications. They'll either cancel one application at random or both for breaking the terms and conditions.

If you've done this then you really need to cancel one ASAP if you don't want to lose your offers.
Original post by PQ
Did you supply your exam centre and candidate numbers? If so then even if it hasn't been picked up yet it will be spotted in the summer when your results come through and match to two applications. They'll either cancel one application at random or both for breaking the terms and conditions.

If you've done this then you really need to cancel one ASAP if you don't want to lose your offers.

i did one through school and one as a private candidate, and no i just wrote my school but not candidate number
i did one through school and one as a private candidate, and no i just wrote my school but not candidate number

In which case your results won't be matched and your place won't be confirmed because you can't prove your results until certificates come through months too late.

(And your application is already liable to cancellation for fraud because you haven't provided the required information about your education).
in theory you can apply to ten but this is highly unlikely and would involve you been silly with your application or something been wrong. I spoke to UCAS about this basically according to the guy I spoke with over the phone you Can apply to five. However if all five reject you within two weeks you get another five. This is highly unlikely to happen though, because some universities likely wont even look at your application for the first two weeks.

You would basically have to try to get rejected by all five and pick five to be rejected from and write some really bad personal statement etc.

I am not sure if this has ever happened to anyone did seem a bit strange that they told me that but it is what they told me. If you get rejected by all five after the two week period you have to wait till February I think and can apply to more universities in Extra only one at a time though.

I really don't get this pick one Aspiration university two which meet your grades and two which do not stuff.

basically you have Extra if all choices reject you and you have clearing. if you fail to meet your offers. My decision will be to apply to the five absolute best I can. if they all reject me I will go into Extra if I get a hard to meet offer I will firm the best ones and then go through clearing if I miss.

I do wonder what the point is insurance with this strategy the only way I can make sense of it, is if you can still use adjustment with your insurance. even then clearing still seems like a stronger option. I mean sure if I got an offers from Imperial and Bristol maybe Bristol could be used as my insurance but why put say Hull etc as an insurance?

I just dont see the point in putting universities I dont want to go to in my 5 just in case. If it comes down to that I still have clearing.
Reply 19
Original post by Luke7456
in theory you can apply to ten but this is highly unlikely and would involve you been silly with your application or something been wrong. I spoke to UCAS about this basically according to the guy I spoke with over the phone you Can apply to five. However if all five reject you within two weeks you get another five. This is highly unlikely to happen though, because some universities likely wont even look at your application for the first two weeks.

You would basically have to try to get rejected by all five and pick five to be rejected from and write some really bad personal statement etc.

I am not sure if this has ever happened to anyone did seem a bit strange that they told me that but it is what they told me. If you get rejected by all five after the two week period you have to wait till February I think and can apply to more universities in Extra only one at a time though.

I really don't get this pick one Aspiration university two which meet your grades and two which do not stuff.

basically you have Extra if all choices reject you and you have clearing. if you fail to meet your offers. My decision will be to apply to the five absolute best I can. if they all reject me I will go into Extra if I get a hard to meet offer I will firm the best ones and then go through clearing if I miss.

I do wonder what the point is insurance with this strategy the only way I can make sense of it, is if you can still use adjustment with your insurance. even then clearing still seems like a stronger option. I mean sure if I got an offers from Imperial and Bristol maybe Bristol could be used as my insurance but why put say Hull etc as an insurance?

I just dont see the point in putting universities I dont want to go to in my 5 just in case. If it comes down to that I still have clearing.

If you apply via Extra you can only ever have one choice under consideration at a time. Not all courses are in Extra, and also not all courses are in Clearing.

The downside of Clearing can be the logistics - including the point that universities may not guarantee accommodation to Clearing students.

You would only apply to and potentially Insure a university you like - otherwise, of course, there's little point.

Latest

Trending

Trending