The Student Room Group

King's vs. UCL vs. LSE for Law

Hey everyone,

Really stuck between these three universities. All three have very limited information on their websites as to how they are different from each other and what each uni can offer me something different to the others. So I could really use your help. Btw I have already achieved the grades necessary for each uni (taken a year out) so am in a more advantageous position than other candidates, hopefully the LNAT went well.
Things I'm looking out for:
- Employability.
- How well the course is delivered.
- How helpful lecturers are.
- How demanding/tough the course is.
- How good the respective law societies are.
- And anything else you might think I would find useful.

These questions are aimed at those who have had experience of these unis ideally, stats can only count for so much.

Thank you in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
- Employability: LSE 90% KCL 85% UCL 60% (although this seems oddly low and wouldn't trust this figure) - employment 6 months after graduation
- How well the course is delivered. KCL 85% LSE 82% UCL 79% - course satisfaction
- How helpful lecturers are. LSE 90% UCL 86% KCL 80% - average between how interesting and helpful lecturers were
- How demanding/tough the course is. It's law - it's hard everywhere!
- How good the respective law societies are. All have law societies - have heard LSE has bad societies and UCL and KCL have better rep for this
- And anything else you might think I would find useful. No matter where you go, they're all v good options :smile:
All stats from Unistats
Reply 2
Original post by rolaah
- Employability: LSE 90% KCL 85% UCL 60% (although this seems oddly low and wouldn't trust this figure) - employment 6 months after graduation
- How well the course is delivered. KCL 85% LSE 82% UCL 79% - course satisfaction
- How helpful lecturers are. LSE 90% UCL 86% KCL 80% - average between how interesting and helpful lecturers were
- How demanding/tough the course is. It's law - it's hard everywhere!
- How good the respective law societies are. All have law societies - have heard LSE has bad societies and UCL and KCL have better rep for this
- And anything else you might think I would find useful. No matter where you go, they're all v good options :smile:
All stats from Unistats

Just curious how is UCL ranked higher then both schools if these are the stats from unistat.

Having a hard time make a choice as i have unconditional offers from al 3 schools

Do you have any information on that

really appreciate it

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sunnyp89
Just curious how is UCL ranked higher then both schools if these are the stats from unistat.

Having a hard time make a choice as i have unconditional offers from al 3 schools

Do you have any information on that

really appreciate it

Thank you :smile:

Overall rankings, according to QS:
1) UCL (7th world/3rd UK)
2) KCL (21st world/6th UK)
3) LSE (37th world/8th UK)

BUT

Specifically for law the rankings are:
1) LSE (7th world/3rd UK)
2) UCL (12th world/4th UK)
3) KCL (18th world/5th UK)

basically the overall rankings can be v misleading in comparison to individual subjects
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by rolaah
Overall rankings, according to QS:
1) UCL (7th world/3rd UK)
2) KCL (21st world/6th UK)
3) LSE (37th world/8th UK)

BUT

Specifically for law the rankings are:
1) LSE (7th world/3rd UK)
2) UCL (12th world/4th UK)
3) KCL (18th world/5th UK)

basically the overall rankings can be v misleading in comparison to individual subjects

thank you Rolah.. yes really misleading..
I spoke to family members and professors in canada and everyone has heard of LSE and KCL .. but UCL no one really has an idea despite the world rankings and being the 3 rd best school in the UK.

I remember during my time in secondary school back in the UK we were all familiar with LSE KCL Oxbrdige but never heard of UCL ..

did you attend any of these schools
just had few more questions about the accommodations and campus life

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by sunnyp89
thank you Rolah.. yes really misleading..
I spoke to family members and professors in canada and everyone has heard of LSE and KCL .. but UCL no one really has an idea despite the world rankings and being the 3 rd best school in the UK.

I remember during my time in secondary school back in the UK we were all familiar with LSE KCL Oxbrdige but never heard of UCL ..

did you attend any of these schools
just had few more questions about the accommodations and campus life

Thanks

UCL is very highly regarded both in the UK and globally, surprising you haven't heard of it! I applied there and have an offer to study but am waiting to hear back from everywhere before I make a final decision. Accommodation possibilities are endless (although a little expensive), and the life on campus, from what I've seen, is very lively. It has a reputation in London for being academic yet very sociable!
Reply 6
Original post by rolaah
UCL is very highly regarded both in the UK and globally, surprising you haven't heard of it! I applied there and have an offer to study but am waiting to hear back from everywhere before I make a final decision. Accommodation possibilities are endless (although a little expensive), and the life on campus, from what I've seen, is very lively. It has a reputation in London for being academic yet very sociable!

thanks Rolah :smile:
Ya I guess I have been out of the UK for a bit .. its been like 6 years I finished my BA in politics in Canada and worked here for a few years now returning home to the UK

When i spoke to professors and friends in Canada everyone seems to have heard of LSE and KCL but UCL not really. Why I have been trying to get as much info as possible.

Still waiting on one school before I have to make a decision between the three but im still undecided between Kings and UCL

thanks again for the info :smile:
Just a comment to revive the thread because I have the same queries and would like to make a choice between LSE, UCL and KCL hopefully by Weds :smile:

Not aiming to get any scholarships but would like to know whether you guys think LSE is worth it despite the low student satisfaction rate and recent scuffle about the property law exam.
I've wanted to insure LSE but now that everyone I've asked about LSE has given me their negative opinion (former/ current students), I'm becoming increasingly doubtful.
I do not mind hard work and stress and would like to prioritise the school's ranking and career prospects. But I cannot stand uncaring/ irresponsible teachers. Which uni do you think suits me the best?

Please help!
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
Just a comment to revive the thread because I have the same queries and would like to make a choice between LSE, UCL and KCL hopefully by Weds :smile:

Not aiming to get any scholarships but would like to know whether you guys think LSE is worth it despite the low student satisfaction rate and recent scuffle about the property law exam.
I've wanted to insure LSE but now that everyone I've asked about LSE has given me their negative opinion (former/ current students), I'm becoming increasingly doubtful.
I do not mind hard work and stress and would like to prioritise the school's ranking and career prospects. But I cannot stand uncaring/ irresponsible teachers. Which uni do you think suits me the best?

Please help!

What happened with the property law exam?
Original post by qwerty505
What happened with the property law exam?

Essentially they moved the date of the property exam (which is a pretty major component) a month earlier on the last day of term, without any prior warning. Students sent emails but were dealt with super patronisingly- there's a petition going on right now to set the exam back to its original date.
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
Essentially they moved the date of the property exam (which is a pretty major component) a month earlier on the last day of term, without any prior warning. Students sent emails but were dealt with super patronisingly- there's a petition going on right now to set the exam back to its original date.

Oh wow that's surprising, idk if it would be enough for me not to firm it though :biggrin:. BTW i think for an insurance, LSE is likely to be the least forgiving in terms of missed offers but is by far my favourite of the 3 so depends how confident you are with your results. Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by JohnGreek
They sent an email 1 month after the timetable was released putting the exam on the 2nd May (from 2nd June). Students did a petition, sent a lot of angry emails, the date changed back to the 2nd of June.

That's good :smile: Did they ever give a reason why they did that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending