The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs Bristol- Aerospace Engineering

I'm stuck choosing between Nottingham and Bristol. I have applied for Aerospace Engineering, both have advantages and disadvantages.
Aerospace Bristol MENG- AAB
Aerospace Nottingham BENG- AAB
Help? :frown:
Hi there

i also had a offer on aerospace from Nottingham, but i had to choose between Nottingham and loughborough, hopefully you know Nottingham actually start doing aerospace last year so it's a pretty new subject for them, Bristol will definitely be a way better choice for you in my opinion.
Reply 2
Original post by tango-inidigo
Hi there

i also had a offer on aerospace from Nottingham, but i had to choose between Nottingham and loughborough, hopefully you know Nottingham actually start doing aerospace last year so it's a pretty new subject for them, Bristol will definitely be a way better choice for you in my opinion.

I'm still undecided, although i prefer Nottingham's city. What was your offer? I was aware that the course is new there but since it already has a high reputation for engineering, i didn't think it'd matter. Out of curiosity, where are you planning on going to? I had to decide between Loughborough and Nottingham. xD
Original post by baptins
I'm still undecided, although i prefer Nottingham's city. What was your offer? I was aware that the course is new there but since it already has a high reputation for engineering, i didn't think it'd matter. Out of curiosity, where are you planning on going to? I had to decide between Loughborough and Nottingham. xD

I will be going to Loughborough, although i know that Nottingham campus is better than loughborough's but i also love sport so i consider loughborough to be a better choice for me. Nottingham world ranking is way better than Loughborough as well, 75 v 236.
Which 5 uni did you apply for? and what are the outcome if you don't mind.
Original post by baptins

My offer was unconditional from Loughborough and conditional from Nottingham and leeds called for selection day.
Reply 6
My offer was unconditional from Loughborough and conditional from Nottingham and leeds called for selection day.

Good Luck! :smile:
I'd say go for Bristol, their aero course is well established whereas Notts' is fairly new which is a bit of a red flag because the highly interdisciplinary nature of aerospace brings a lot of teething problems. You also have more engineering companies on your doorstep at Bristol compared to Notts.
Reply 8

I have applied to Bristol, Nottingham, Liverpool, Loughborough and UWE. How about you?
Reply 9
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say go for Bristol, their aero course is well established whereas Notts' is fairly new which is a bit of a red flag because the highly interdisciplinary nature of aerospace brings a lot of teething problems. You also have more engineering companies on your doorstep at Bristol compared to Notts.

Even if it is new, Nottingham still has a good reputation for engineering. Nottingham also offers an industrial year whereas Bristol doesn't.
Reply 10

Loughborough- AAB
Nottingham- AAB
Bristol- AAB
Liverpool-ABB
UWE- 120 UCAS points
Original post by baptins
Even if it is new, Nottingham still has a good reputation for engineering. Nottingham also offers an industrial year whereas Bristol doesn't.

You can go on a year in industry without your university offering it. It just means that it won't count towards your degree, you won't have to do the extra stuff unis ask YINI students to do, and you don't get the normal support from your uni during that time. But you still get the year of experience which is the main point of doing it in the first place.
Reply 12
I will be going to Loughborough, although i know that Nottingham campus is better than loughborough's but i also love sport so i consider loughborough to be a better choice for me. Nottingham world ranking is way better than Loughborough as well, 75 v 236.

Yeah, Loughborough was a geat university when i went up. I think i'm just going to go fro Nottingham.
Reply 13
Nottingham world ranking is way better than Loughborough as well, 75 v 236.

Not for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Not for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it!!!! i had no idea, i guess that is the overall ranking then.below are the 2017 QS engineering ranking:
Hey Baptins

Before you finally decide just go to Nottingham uni and talk to the current students. Have you done that already?
Reply 16
Hey Baptins

Before you finally decide just go to Nottingham uni and talk to the current students. Have you done that already?

I wasn't sure on how to do that so I haven't.
Hey Baptins

If you're talking about aero students specifically then it's probably not worth the effort, there's only a small handful of them and they haven't even completed first year yet. Plus there will likely be a lot of changes between their year and his.

Quick Reply

Latest