The Student Room Group

The National Citizenship Service (NCS) discussion and help thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IKEAPanda37
Tbh not really, I thought 3 weeks might be too daunting for me so I'm glad I decided to do it in Spring instead. Obviously a week of activites would have been better but I feel like I got to know everyone well after a week so it didnt really matter

It depends, if you're more outgoing then summer would be more suitable but for someone like me who wants to get out of my comfort zone but not too much, then the shorter ones are great:h:

Tbh the summer one was tedious at times, particularly in the last week. I did like being in Scotland for 5 days though, any shorter and it wouldn't have been as good.

I still think that how positive your experience is is strongly related to how well you get along with your teammates. I didn't get along so well with a couple of mine so I think that tainted it a bit, even worse as time went on. Being surrounded by the same people for many hours of 3 weeks meant that towards the end people grew apart a bit - there wasn't so much of a team spirit then. So I think the shorter programmes would have avoided that :yep:
Reply 21
anyone from london doing it on the 13th july?
Reply 22
Heyy, Im doing NCS this summer.
26 Jul 2017 until 17 Aug 2017
From London
Anyone else?
Im doing NCS from 13th July from London
Anyone else from Birmingham and going on the 13th July?
(edited 7 years ago)
Im going to be a support worker in the summer on the NCS challenge!
Reply 26
Also, does anyone know if they group you according to the area of your school or the area you live in?
Original post by Px-1
Also, does anyone know if they group you according to the area of your school or the area you live in?

Yeah they generally put you in a group with people from your area.
I'm starting NCS on the 11th of July with VINSPIRED and am very excited. I am from Darlington (the North-East).

I've got a small question and would be very grateful if you could help me. I know people have said that they made friends quickly and bonded with their group straight away but I'm worried. I am not naturally very social and am quite shy; especially amongst strangers. I don't talk much and have a close friends of group that I hang around with 24/7. I would consider myself to be slightly different and am more geeky/nerdy (I've never been one of the populars). Do people judge you? Is it easy to introduce yourself?
Original post by itshanks
I'm starting NCS on the 11th of July with VINSPIRED and am very excited. I am from Darlington (the North-East).

I've got a small question and would be very grateful if you could help me. I know people have said that they made friends quickly and bonded with their group straight away but I'm worried. I am not naturally very social and am quite shy; especially amongst strangers. I don't talk much and have a close friends of group that I hang around with 24/7. I would consider myself to be slightly different and am more geeky/nerdy (I've never been one of the populars). Do people judge you? Is it easy to introduce yourself?

I'm the same and I'm not sporty at all! I hope I'll be okay in the first week...
I'm doing it from the 22nd of July from Wolverhampton! I only have drama as an option because they called my mum while I was still at school :tongue:. I'm worried that, if I don't have drama, I might not enjoy the other activities x
Original post by itshanks

I don't think you would be judhed like that at all
I cant do NCS anymore even though I really want to. It has gone over the 14 day period would i still be able to get a refund? If not where exactly does my money go
Im doing mine on the 13th august (Late, I know) i think, and im in London :h:
Im kind of nervous but my sister did it a few years ago and she said she enjoyed it (She did sports but there were lots of arguments in her team :lol:)

Dont really know what to expect :redface:
Original post by Babyangelana
I cant do NCS anymore even though I really want to. It has gone over the 14 day period would i still be able to get a refund? If not where exactly does my money go

From the sound of their website I don't think so :frown: I guess the money would be used like everyone else's fees, to fund the programme.
Original post by Accio_Cake
From the sound of their website I don't think so :frown: I guess the money would be used like everyone else's fees, to fund the programme.

Ugh :frown: Thanks for you help though :smile:
Im from London to but my wave starts on the 28th of July xd
Original post by Px-1
Heyy, Im doing NCS this summer.
26 Jul 2017 until 17 Aug 2017
From London
Anyone else?

Im from London to but my wave starts on the 28th of July xd

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IKEAPanda37
I completely forgot about this........sorry:colondollar:

So my story is a bit different to Niamh's because I did the shorter Spring course in February 2016, I thought I would be comfortable if I just went for a week because I'm not the most confident person:redface:

Section 1 = The first section was absolutely amazing,we went to the Pioneer Centre in Kidderminster. My team was made of a big friendship group of like 7, 3 pairs and 2 of us on our own (I was one of them) We got on so well, the activites were amazing, I did the leap of faith which is definitely one of my biggest achievements (never thought I would ever be able to do that), climbing, indoor caving, archery, fencing etc. and we bonded so well with all our little team exercises. Most of them involved being squished together trying to stay on a box or something. My favourite bit was when we went home and we started a facebook chat, everyone was so supportive of each other:biggrin:

Section 2 = This bit we went to our town's college to like get to know each other and do stuff before starting our projects. We had 3 dropouts, one pair (apparently they were too busy....) and the other person on their own dropped out (dont think he was enjoying himself tbh). Therefore, we officially became Thirteen Sardines (see Section 1 for team activities and you'll get why:wink:) We played card games like Cops and Robbers which I wasnt very good at but it was good fun, our team leaders were amazing :thumbsup:

Section 3 = This was the actual project which tbh wasn't that successful. We were going to do mufti days and stuff at primary schools and our schools but my school literally ignored me and my primary school wanted to but couldn't (did do an interview tho so they were interested) We did better with the Rucksack Project part of our project and made up like 20 rucksacks (I made 3 thanks to my tutor and some teachers in school) and also made hands for Alzheimers Society. We graduated tho and that was a relief :thumbsup:

It was definitely a brilliant experience and I've made several friends. Our group chat is still up and running, ocassionally we talk on it and we wish each other happy birthdays and stuff. Would be nice to meet again but we'll see what happens. One of our team leaders is on there and we had a conversation about stuff that was happening so that was really good:h:

So yeah definitely do it:smile:

Wow I was going to do a Spring NCS but my wave for my area said that most people don't sign up for spring or don't commit on the third week because of exams. I did the Winter one instead.
Original post by Faloodeh
Im doing mine on the 13th august (Late, I know) i think, and im in London :h:
Im kind of nervous but my sister did it a few years ago and she said she enjoyed it (She did sports but there were lots of arguments in her team :lol:)

Dont really know what to expect :redface:

Yeah I'm doing it from 13th August too but I'm from Slough so idk what section thingy that comes under. My sister did it 2 years ago and she said she really enjoyed it but she was with most of her friends. Only one of my friends is doing it on the same date as me and the rest are going on earlier dates. 😢 Hopefully, it won't be too bad though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending