Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham College Allocation Thread - 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by OturuDansay
Is anyone going to a residential visit next week?
I'm going on the 20th-21st at Collingwood.
Anyone else? :smile:

I am!! same days as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Anyone know if you have to dress formally for the St Cuthbert's post-offer dinner?
Original post by gh0527
I am!! same days as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome!
Do you know if we have to dress formally for the dinner?
Reply 323
Original post by OturuDansay
Awesome!
Do you know if we have to dress formally for the dinner?

I don't think so, they didn't mention it in their emails or facebook group haha
Original post by gh0527
I don't think so, they didn't mention it in their emails or facebook group haha

Ahhh okay, thank you!
I'll see you Monday! :smile:
Reply 325
Recently accepted onto the MA English course. I saw Brackenbury had significantly cheaper standard en-suite rooms than everywhere else so it's a no-brainer for me.

Two questions:
On the application form, how important is the "tell us about yourself" section? I'm there to live....what do they want from me? Do they want some spiel about how I'll join all the societies and party with the freshers every night? I'll be 23 years old, get off my lawn :smile:

Where the hell is Brackenbury? Can't seem to find it on google maps.
Original post by Alex-B
Recently accepted onto the MA English course. I saw Brackenbury had significantly cheaper standard en-suite rooms than everywhere else so it's a no-brainer for me.

Two questions:
On the application form, how important is the "tell us about yourself" section? I'm there to live....what do they want from me? Do they want some spiel about how I'll join all the societies and party with the freshers every night? I'll be 23 years old, get off my lawn :smile:

Where the hell is Brackenbury? Can't seem to find it on google maps.

Umm the "tell us about yourself" bit is probably done so to aid them in ensuring that you and your potential flat mates are compatible when they do the accommodation allocations.

So what if you're 23? Really don't think anyone is trying to get 'on' your lawn, don't worry :smile:
How does college reallocation work?
Original post by petteter
How does college reallocation work?

Reallocation means that you have no longer been guaranteed a place at your previously allocated college for whatever reason, but hold a place in the Uni, as a result they will put you into whichever college that still has places.

This is done randomly, but obviously by then the more 'popular' colleges are usually full so it is highly unlikely that you will be allocated to those. In my opinion, people are usually reallocated to one of the hill colleges cause a couple of the bailey colleges are often oversubscribed. 😊
Original post by Sinisterist
Reallocation means that you have no longer been guaranteed a place at your previously allocated college for whatever reason, but hold a place in the Uni, as a result they will put you into whichever college that still has places.

This is done randomly, but obviously by then the more 'popular' colleges are usually full so it is highly unlikely that you will be allocated to those. In my opinion, people are usually reallocated to one of the hill colleges cause a couple of the bailey colleges are often oversubscribed. 😊

Why does this occur? I really don't want to lose my place at my college.
Original post by Tortoises172
Why does this occur? I really don't want to lose my place at my college.

College reallocation occurs because each college has a quota for students from each subject to fulfil; they can't exceed that quota. But if you've already been offered a place then you won't be reallocated unless you don't reach the exact grades Durham want.
Original post by soooo0
College reallocation occurs because each college has a quota for students from each subject to fulfil; they can't exceed that quota. But if you've already been offered a place then you won't be reallocated unless you don't reach the exact grades Durham want.

Oh right it's just that I've heard a few people get reallocated after results? It's rare and also my college isn't super small so I think it's unlikely for me (plus I've done my A Levels so my offer is unconditional). I just thought you were talking about that not reallocation from your first choice when colleges are allocated.
Oh right it's just that I've heard a few people get reallocated after results? It's rare and also my college isn't super small so I think it's unlikely for me (plus I've done my A Levels so my offer is unconditional). I just thought you were talking about that not reallocation from your first choice when colleges are allocated.

Oh yeah it's basically definite you won't get reallocated if you've already got the grades, I think it's just for people who got equivalent grades and not the ones Durham asked for. What college did you get allocated to??
Original post by soooo0
Oh yeah it's basically definite you won't get reallocated if you've already got the grades, I think it's just for people who got equivalent grades and not the ones Durham asked for. What college did you get allocated to??

St Cuth's. I know it's not a crazily popular one but I just like it :smile: and it is a bailey college so I don't want to lose it.
St Cuth's. I know it's not a crazily popular one but I just like it :smile: and it is a bailey college so I don't want to lose it.

I'm at st cuths too🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh awesome, do you think you will firm it?
Original post by Nyathigiz
I'm at st cuths too🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh awesome, do you think you will firm it?

Probably but I still haven't made up my mind. You???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Received an unconditional to study Psychology at St Chad's (I already completed my A-levels last year). Anyone else applied to study Psychology, to Chad's, or even Psychology at Chad's?

There's a thread for Chad's applicants (link below), and I may set one up for psychology applicants if there's not already one up.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4418390#primary_content
Original post by RachCoon109
I got allocated St Chad's and so has a friend. I picked it at random because I was so overwhelmed with the choice but I had no idea there was a 70% chance of sharing a room.

Anyone else have an issue with the pricing?? A shared room at Bath (and that's down south so pricey af) is £75 a week but at Durham is works out at about £230a week!?

Also, anyone doing Education Studies with Psychology??

I'm in a similar situation. I used to go to Stirling (dropped out after a semester to reapply to Durham), and my accommodation there was £5,500/year (the most expensive in the uni), but that was newly built (one year old), and had single, decent sized ensuite rooms.

St Chad's on the other hand is, like, £7,000/year for the most basic shared accommodation. Hopefully there will be plenty of scholarships available, or many people are going to be priced out. I suppose you could always ask them, too. Their motto is 'non vestra sed vos' ('not yours but you') and is supposed to represent its inclusiveness and support for people from all backgrounds, regardless of income, etc. Fingers crossed it'll live up to this.

If you're interested, there's a thread for St Chad's applicants (link below). I'm doing Psychology as a single honours.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4418390
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nyathigiz
Probably but I still haven't made up my mind. You???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I already have :smile: I applied after A Levels and it was really the only place I was interested in going other than maybe UCL so not much of a decision haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending