The Student Room Group

i dont have a clue what job i want to do when im older

i am currently in year 10 and i am studying 11 gcse's including maths, english, biology, physics, chemistry, geography, french, i.t, product design, art and personal finance.
I quite emjoy maths and i am very good at it. I also enjoy i.t and product design a lot. I really dont have a clue what jobs i am interested so can someone help me xD
Any help is appreciated thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just do engineering and get loads of money
Reply 2
Original post by lmao102
just do engineering and get loads of money

such as what in engineering?
Reply 3
Original post by Harryb01
such as what in engineering?

if youre good at physics do chemical engineering, which is the highest paid

if not then just google and see which one fits you best
Reply 4
Tried programming? Software engineering can be great fun, it's where I want to go. I personally prefer back-end (Python, Java), but some like front-end too (HTML, JavaScript, CSS).
i am currently in year 10 and i am studying 11 gcse's including maths, english, biology, physics, chemistry, geography, french, i.t, product design, art and personal finance.
I quite emjoy maths and i am very good at it. I also enjoy i.t and product design a lot. I really dont have a clue what jobs i am interested so can someone help me xD
Any help is appreciated thanks!

I'm doing exactly the same but instead of product and design I'm doing business studies and I did half of a PE course with half dance. So hopefully I'm getting a GCSE out of that too as I taught the younger kids and had mocks.

Well I want to get into the media world and be something radio DJ related or something along the lines of law or journalism. As my A levels are all related to my career :smile:

It's never to late :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by 0zzu
Tried programming? Software engineering can be great fun, it's where I want to go. I personally prefer back-end (Python, Java), but some like front-end too (HTML, JavaScript, CSS).

i cant stand programming haha i just find it boring and it was to hard for me to understand/
Reply 7
i cant stand programming haha i just find it boring and it was to hard for me to understand/

That's unfortunate. Maybe it was how you were taught, although it's probably just not your thing. You seem intelligent enough to have lots of potential choices. Ultimately, you need the right balance between enjoyment and salary. You're gonna spend an awful lot of time working in your life, as will most, so it's in your best interest to do something that won't make you depressed.
Reply 8
Original post by 0zzu
That's unfortunate. Maybe it was how you were taught, although it's probably just not your thing. You seem intelligent enough to have lots of potential choices. Ultimately, you need the right balance between enjoyment and salary. You're gonna spend an awful lot of time working in your life, as will most, so it's in your best interest to do something that won't make you depressed.

I think it might have been the way we were taught as the majority of the class didnt enjoy it, and thanks for the advice. Is there any other job sectors you recommend as programming inst my thing xD.
Reply 9
From my own experience, if you're not entirely sure what you want to do then study subjects you are good at and have a lot of practical uses. But whatever you do, don't go to uni unless you're 100% sure what you're going to study is what you want to be doing as a career for years to come!
Reply 10
I think it might have been the way we were taught as the majority of the class didnt enjoy it, and thanks for the advice. Is there any other job sectors you recommend as programming inst my thing xD.

Well, the advice is passed on from wiser folk. Some sort of engineering does seem to be the safest way forward. Engineers are needed everywhere, and there's lots of different types.
Reply 11
Original post by 0zzu
Well, the advice is passed on from wiser folk. Some sort of engineering does seem to be the safest way forward. Engineers are needed everywhere, and there's lots of different types.

ye it does seem that there is lots of work available but what qualifications would you need?
Reply 12
ye it does seem that there is lots of work available but what qualifications would you need?

A university degree for most types of engineering. A bit of work-experience would be helpful on top of that.
Reply 13
Original post by 0zzu
A university degree for most types of engineering. A bit of work-experience would be helpful on top of that.

what would the salary be?
Reply 14
what would the salary be?

Boy you're asking me things I really don't know. There's different factors that apply:

1) Where you are
2) You're qualifications
3) Type of engineering

A junior C.S. graduate can hope to make at least £30k beginning salary in London from a good uni. It can quite easily go up to £60-80k for senior software engineers.

I wouldn't have a clue about the other types, but a trend of high-salaries is for certain. Although, technically car mechanics are engineers. And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with the job, they're not known to be the most prestigious or high-paid careers.
Reply 15
Original post by 0zzu
Boy you're asking me things I really don't know. There's different factors that apply:

1) Where you are
2) You're qualifications
3) Type of engineering

A junior C.S. graduate can hope to make at least £30k beginning salary in London from a good uni. It can quite easily go up to £60-80k for senior software engineers.

I wouldn't have a clue about the other types, but a trend of high-salaries is for certain. Although, technically car mechanics are engineers. And while there is absolutely nothing wrong with the job, they're not known to be the most prestigious or high-paid careers.

thanks a lot for the help i really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 16
thanks a lot for the help i really appreciate it :smile:

No problem, mate. Good luck!
Jeez man, relax.

I'm 25 I have no idea what I want to do next week, let alone the rest of my life, I know people in their 40's who still have no idea what they want to do with their life, hell, my dad is retired and he has never known what he wanted to do...
I hear you mate. I'm "older" and still have no clue. :sad:
Reply 19
Original post by mojojojo101
Jeez man, relax.

I'm 25 I have no idea what I want to do next week, let alone the rest of my life, I know people in their 40's who still have no idea what they want to do with their life, hell, my dad is retired and he has never known what he wanted to do...

I think its just after talking to my mates who all seem to know exactly where they want to go and do when they are older haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending