The Student Room Group

Blackbox and insurance questions

So I've had my provisional licence for a few months and have been insured on my dads car as the second driver. I recently started doing my practical lessons and will be wanting to get a car after I pass the test. I've gotten quotes on at least 20 different cars - different sized engines etc and the cheapest policy was like £1200 with a blackbox and £1900 without. Can anyone recommend a decent insurer that doesn't require you to fit a blackbox? I'm a safe driver but I travel 50 miles a day to work and because I work evenings very often I drive after 10pm so I know my blackbox scores will be ****. Also I'm planning on driving abroad very soon so not sure if that would affect the blackbox scores in any way? Any advice relating to insurers and blackboxes would be great.
Unfortunately insurance is currently very high for first time drivers, higher so for those passing at the age of 17/18, even higher for male drivers thanks to statistics. I would definitely recommend steering clear of some 'big' named insurers like the AA, for example, as they will want to give you lots of add ons. Your best bet might be looking at comparison sites (e.g. are Confused, compare the market, go compare) and remember to delete your browsing history or use incognito as cookies in your browser will tell these sites that you're looking around and the quotes will increase.

Also consider putting your Dad on the insurance as a second driver as this should bring it down a bit.

Some black boxes don't restrict the times you travel, for example mine with Admiral is purely speed/braking/cornering and although it might collect other information it doesn't comment on times of travel (I've done back-from-the-club runs before and had no calls/comments) and you can also look at what data is collected online and what they think of your driving.

Have a look at Marmalade as well as they can decrease your premium even during one year if they judge you to be a safe driver from whatever their black box records.

Have you chosen your car yet? The "insurance group" (a number) can tell you roughly how expensive insuring that car will be. A lower number is cheaper and the higher the spec of the car the higher the number. Try and stay around 15 and below.

As well as covering insurance, also think about vehicle tax for the car which is set to increase dramatically over the next few years. Keep an eye on emissions of the models you're looking at in g/km and keep it as low as possible.

Sorry if I've repeated some stuff you already knew but better to cover everything. Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by carrotstar
Unfortunately insurance is currently very high for first time drivers, higher so for those passing at the age of 17/18, even higher for male drivers thanks to statistics. I would definitely recommend steering clear of some 'big' named insurers like the AA, for example, as they will want to give you lots of add ons. Your best bet might be looking at comparison sites (e.g. are Confused, compare the market, go compare) and remember to delete your browsing history or use incognito as cookies in your browser will tell these sites that you're looking around and the quotes will increase.

Also consider putting your Dad on the insurance as a second driver as this should bring it down a bit.

Some black boxes don't restrict the times you travel, for example mine with Admiral is purely speed/braking/cornering and although it might collect other information it doesn't comment on times of travel (I've done back-from-the-club runs before and had no calls/comments) and you can also look at what data is collected online and what they think of your driving.

Have a look at Marmalade as well as they can decrease your premium even during one year if they judge you to be a safe driver from whatever their black box records.

Have you chosen your car yet? The "insurance group" (a number) can tell you roughly how expensive insuring that car will be. A lower number is cheaper and the higher the spec of the car the higher the number. Try and stay around 15 and below.

As well as covering insurance, also think about vehicle tax for the car which is set to increase dramatically over the next few years. Keep an eye on emissions of the models you're looking at in g/km and keep it as low as possible.

Sorry if I've repeated some stuff you already knew but better to cover everything. Hope that helps a bit :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate the detailed reply. I didn't realize that not clearing my cookies increased the insurance. After putting both my parents on the insurance it goes down about £100-250. With just dad on the insurance there's only like a £40 difference. I haven't yet picked a car but I narrowed it down to 3 cars that suit my needs :smile:
Original post by MadVajizzle
I appreciate the detailed reply. I didn't realize that not clearing my cookies increased the insurance. After putting both my parents on the insurance it goes down about £100-250. With just dad on the insurance there's only like a £40 difference. I haven't yet picked a car but I narrowed it down to 3 cars that suit my needs :smile:

Sounds like you've got it pretty much covered! I'm sorry but for first time drivers it really is expensive and there's not an awful lot you can do about it 😕 I hope things work out though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by carrotstar
Sounds like you've got it pretty much covered! I'm sorry but for first time drivers it really is expensive and there's not an awful lot you can do about it 😕 I hope things work out though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the insurance in UK sucks. Thanks :smile:

Luckily after your first year- as long as you get your first years no claims and you dont get any points on your licence, the price starts to go down quite a bit.
Try and pay for the insurance annually if possible as well, as it costs more to pay monthly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Luckily after your first year- as long as you get your first years no claims and you dont get any points on your licence, the price starts to go down quite a bit.
Try and pay for the insurance annually if possible as well, as it costs more to pay monthly.

I wish I had the money to pay for it annually.
Reply 7
I'll just repeat what most people have said but it's true that after a year your rate will significantly drop if you prove to be a safe driver. Each insurer has their own Black box policy, so I'd double check… if you could get a black box insurer with your parents name on it you'd save a lot, by your 2-3 year you could remove them and be paying around the same or even less. On full prices, people can see their insurance costs halved by the second year, sometimes even more, although factors like area, where you park, Mileage, etc. will play a part in just how much you save (it seems to me like everyone just lies about their mileage…)
Reply 8
Original post by zayn008
I'll just repeat what most people have said but it's true that after a year your rate will significantly drop if you prove to be a safe driver. Each insurer has their own Black box policy, so I'd double check… if you could get a black box insurer with your parents name on it you'd save a lot, by your 2-3 year you could remove them and be paying around the same or even less. On full prices, people can see their insurance costs halved by the second year, sometimes even more, although factors like area, where you park, Mileage, etc. will play a part in just how much you save (it seems to me like everyone just lies about their mileage…)

Thanks for the info. I would lie about the mileage but with a blackbox that wouldn't really be possible. I can see myself doing 12-15k miles a year easily.
Reply 9
Thanks for the info. I would lie about the mileage but with a blackbox that wouldn't really be possible. I can see myself doing 12-15k miles a year easily.

No problem! Yeah, once the black box is out just put 5-10k like everyone else does when they know it's well over that :tongue: not read any stories about issues this has caused, but I'm sure there'd be a few so do it with caution and definitely only when the BB is out
Hi guys,
If I were to get a Black Box fitted with a certain insurer, would they then share information about my driving habits with other insurers in the future (or would that information be available to other insurers)? I've heard numerous people complaining about how their black box "unfairly" scores them for driving safely and under the speed limit, so I don't want this to affect any future policies I go for with other insurers.
Original post by RickyMaz
Hi guys,
If I were to get a Black Box fitted with a certain insurer, would they then share information about my driving habits with other insurers in the future (or would that information be available to other insurers)? I've heard numerous people complaining about how their black box "unfairly" scores them for driving safely and under the speed limit, so I don't want this to affect any future policies I go for with other insurers.

As far as i'm aware it doesn't affect your future policies, just your current one.
Reply 12
Hi guys,

If the insurers are within the same group, then yes.
Original post by IWMTom
If the insurers are within the same group, then yes.

Ahhhh okay. I've been looking at More Th>n Smart Wheels as that's the cheapest and has no premium increases or fines. Do you know who else is in their group?
Reply 14
the cheapest and has no premium increases or fines

This just screams bad news. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no way would they let you get away with driving like a maniac. If they're not going to increase your premiums, then they're going to cancel your policy.

Think carefully about black boxes. It would however seem as though More Than are part of a group with no other car insurance providers, so that's something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending