The Student Room Group

what an m&a analyst actually does - example

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSnazzyMan
Does London IB use the EDGAR database for gathering information? Or is there some equivalent in this area?

factset
bump for the incomings
Reply 42
any specific excel commands/shortcuts/formulas you use a lot or i should pick up?
Original post by makrxx
any specific excel commands/shortcuts/formulas you use a lot or i should pick up?

formatting ones would be useful and powepoint alignments - set quick short cuts for cumbersome ones such as grouping
you mentioned you knew vba. how did you learn it? i go cass btw, did you attend classes at cass or just youtube it? any recommended resources?

also just a quick random query; whats your thoughts on industrial placements? i know you can't get into ibd with them (ibd is something that doesn't interest me) but are they a worthy back-up to summers assuming fast tracks from springs doesn't happen? (if it helps I want to get into equity research)
Original post by ozilll
you mentioned you knew vba. how did you learn it? i go cass btw, did you attend classes at cass or just youtube it? any recommended resources?

also just a quick random query; whats your thoughts on industrial placements? i know you can't get into ibd with them (ibd is something that doesn't interest me) but are they a worthy back-up to summers assuming fast tracks from springs doesn't happen? (if it helps I want to get into equity research)

I will chip in...

I did a Summer Internship (June - August) then a Placement (September - August) then got a grad job somewhere else haha in IBD.

My advice would be to try and get as much experience as possible and therefore, maybe try and do both if the dates work. Most people do it the other way round, they do a Placement (June - May) and then a Summer (June - August).

GS does ER Placements, you should absolutely go for it. I would apply mainly for Summers and then throw in a few Placement applications and see what happens. I never intended to do a Placement, it just worked out that way. In fact, I applied all for Summers and just one Placement - and got both.

I also know a guy who did a Placement at CS in some Consulting type division (CFO Services or something) and he got transferred to ER for full-time there. So anything is possible, the key is to be flexible and take any opportunities given to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
I will chip in...

I did a Summer Internship (June - August) then a Placement (September - August) then got a grad job somewhere else haha in IBD.

My advice would be to try and get as much experience as possible and therefore, maybe try and do both if the dates work. Most people do it the other way round, they do a Placement (June - May) and then a Summer (June - August).

GS does ER Placements, you should absolutely go for it. I would apply mainly for Summers and then throw in a few Placement applications and see what happens. I never intended to do a Placement, it just worked out that way. In fact, I applied all for Summers and just one Placement - and got both.

I also know a guy who did a Placement at CS in some Consulting type division (CFO Services or something) and he got transferred to ER for full-time there. So anything is possible, the key is to be flexible and take any opportunities given to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers Bro. Seems like you've been all over the block :tongue:

Btw if you were to do a placement then a corresponding summer, how would you be able to do your interviews/ACs for summer - you'd be working?

And do you know if GS does fast track to a FT job or just to summer?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozilll
Cheers Bro. Seems like you've been all over the block :tongue:

Btw if you were to do a placement then a corresponding summer, how would you be able to do your interviews/ACs for summer - you'd be working?

And do you know if GS does fast track to a FT job or just to summer?

Well I never found myself in that problem so I'm not sure! I think the general consensus is to sneak into meeting rooms or outside for telephone interviews or get time off for assessment centres etc. There is no easy way round that problem.

If you do a Placement at GS, you'll potentially be extended an FT offer. If you do a Summer, you'll potentially be extended an FT offer. If you do a Spring Week, you'll potentially be fast-tracked to Summer (although I assume you could do Placement too) but not FT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ozilll

in answering your first question, i had a first year module on it, and given i was interested i youtubed most of the functionality. it's like learning a language, learn the words, sentences and you can play about with it and start building useful codes to automate small tasks. can't remember specific names but youtubing around for beginner level guides should be useful.

@Commercial Paper has extensive experience in answeing your second question, so will leave that with him
A bit of topic, but since you have good finance knowledge, I wanted to ask you something. Im currently building DCF and adjusting for non-cash expenses. Is an actuarial loss (gain) a non-cash expense?
Original post by glebp
A bit of topic, but since you have good finance knowledge, I wanted to ask you something. Im currently building DCF and adjusting for non-cash expenses. Is an actuarial loss (gain) a non-cash expense?

Non-cash

Be careful about cash though as it can include other securities that are IAS 7 compliant (stable value and less than 3 month maturity) as 'cash equivalents' and there can be some non-cash items in the cash flow as a result (namely revaluation).
Original post by glebp

yeah, you can strip it out.

if its a material component of your valuation however, you can account for payouts by adding a seperate line item to adjust, or valuing PV of pension liabilities as a whole and deducting it from your EV.. makes no computational difference how you do it, if you use the same assumptions.

again, this depends on your judgment on how material the effect is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by natninja
Non-cash

Be careful about cash though as it can include other securities that are IAS 7 compliant (stable value and less than 3 month maturity) as 'cash equivalents' and there can be some non-cash items in the cash flow as a result (namely revaluation).

Original post by gr8wizard10
yeah, you can strip it out.

if its a material component of your valuation however, you can account for payouts by adding a seperate line item to adjust, or valuing PV of pension liabilities as a whole and deducting it from your EV.. makes no computational difference how you do it, if you use the same assumptions.

again, this depends on your judgment on how material the effect is.

Thank you for the informative replies!
Original post by glebp
Thank you for the informative replies!

Also, if it's an insurance company, a DCF model is probably not appropriate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending